Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Yikes........never seen so many comments about a single game. Sure nice to see all the Union and Colgate fans posting their thanks. Makes one feel good.

Now that the dust has settled I hope the team can build off of these two wins. We have 6 games left in the season. My experience as a former athlete and a 40 year plus watcher of hockey tells me that we can't read too much into the weekend. I am actually more impressed with our victory over Princeton than I am with the win at Q-Pac. We seem to do well (most of the time) against better competition, but often struggle against lesser or equal teams. Being an underdog as we were against Q-Pac, it is always easier to pull off that upset than to consistently beat the teams you are supposed to. It's a different kind of pressure and expectation.

We have 6 games left. If this team is for real....and they can build on what they have put together recently....I would "expect" our record in those 6 games to be 4-2. How they come? Not sure, but realistically the losses mostly likely would be Q Pac and Union, with wins over RPI, Dartmouth, Harvard and Princeton. Another upset of Union or Q Pac would be nice, but I think a loss to the other four would be more telling.

It seems one of the key's has been the play of the Defense and the improved goaltending. Carvy's comments certainly emphasized that. All year we have proven we can score (with a few exceptions.) As Wenny goes...so will this team. The other challenge remaining is solving the Appleton riddle. We have a winning record on the road and a losing record at Appleton. A lot of our stats show our inconsistency. Statistically overall our collective save percentages show why we have a losing record. Collectively our save percentage is 862 and Wenny's is 868. That is not going to win a majority of games unless our offense puts up big numbers, which it has most of the time.

This weekend provided some hope and optimism that the team still could make some noise down the line. But until we can win at Appleton and beat who we are supposed to beat regularly and consistently; then, our fate will be settled on the road in the playoffs.

Two nice wins.....relatively low goals against (3 for the two games).....let's see if we can build off of that. Next weekend to me will be a tell all. Two wins is the only acceptable outcome for next weekend.
    SLU

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      Yikes........never seen so many comments about a single game. Sure nice to see all the Union and Colgate fans posting their thanks. Makes one feel good.

Now that the dust has settled I hope the team can build off of these two wins. We have 6 games left in the season. My experience as a former athlete and a 40 year plus watcher of hockey tells me that we can't read too much into the weekend. I am actually more impressed with our victory over Princeton than I am with the win at Q-Pac. We seem to do well (most of the time) against better competition, but often struggle against lesser or equal teams. Being an underdog as we were against Q-Pac, it is always easier to pull off that upset than to consistently beat the teams you are supposed to. It's a different kind of pressure and expectation.

We have 6 games left. If this team is for real....and they can build on what they have put together recently....I would "expect" our record in those 6 games to be 4-2. How they come? Not sure, but realistically the losses mostly likely would be Q Pac and Union, with wins over RPI, Dartmouth, Harvard and Princeton. Another upset of Union or Q Pac would be nice, but I think a loss to the other four would be more telling.

It seems one of the key's has been the play of the Defense and the improved goaltending. Carvy's comments certainly emphasized that. All year we have proven we can score (with a few exceptions.) As Wenny goes...so will this team. The other challenge remaining is solving the Appleton riddle. We have a winning record on the road and a losing record at Appleton. A lot of our stats show our inconsistency. Statistically overall our collective save percentages show why we have a losing record. Collectively our save percentage is 862 and Wenny's is 868. That is not going to win a majority of games unless our offense puts up big numbers, which it has most of the time.

This weekend provided some hope and optimism that the team still could make some noise down the line. But until we can win at Appleton and beat who we are supposed to beat regularly and consistently; then, our fate will be settled on the road in the playoffs.

Two nice wins.....relatively low goals against (3 for the two games).....let's see if we can build off of that. Next weekend to me will be a tell all. Two wins is the only acceptable outcome for next weekend.
      Agreed to all of the above! We seemed to match up well against Dartmouth and Harvard down there so I expect as long as we bring our A game there is no reason not to hope for two wins. Although this is the ECAC and one can never really know for sure!
      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
        Plus, it is STANK not STUNK. Learn to speak English you classless muppet.
        I knew the ECAC made a mistake. They should have invited Holy Cross instead of Q-Pac. There should have been a rule; if your college was founded after 1900, you're ineligible and you can't tarnish our league with your low rent nouveau riche crap.
        St. Lawrence University
        World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
          I knew the ECAC made a mistake. They should have invited Holy Cross instead of Q-Pac. There should have been a rule; if your college was founded after 1900, you're ineligible and you can't tarnish our league with your low rent nouveau riche crap.
          Where have you been bcarlisle? You've missed a plethora of wonderful statements from the children in the Quinnipiac thread. Or wait, I forgot, it's Q-Pac

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Well, Mike, it's the ECAC (plus a hockey east school), and we can beat any one of them on a good night and lose to anyone of them on a bad night. I agree with everything you said. The Princeton game worried me more just like RPI worried me more the weekend before. Not because Princeton or RPI are better than their travel partners but our results in recent games that we should win. Plus, you know Princeton won't quit....not with that guy as coach.

The defense was good and it had to be with 12 PIM in the 3rd (4 of them on our defensive leader). For me the bright spot was Riley Austin that I thought played pretty well.

It would be nice to find our stride after a couple of very rough months and I think it's important to finish 7th or higher. To that end, I suppose I should be pulling for whoever is playing Brown and Yale next week but given who they are playing next week that's impossible so I'll home for a sweep for all teams with SLU grads as head coaches. Colgate can do their own part by beating Q-Pac in 2 weeks.
            9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
            1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Amen to the son of Dr Carlisle of Park Street
              I believe Mechanics Institute in Rochester meets the 1900 rule
              SLU65

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that Greg Carey has (rather quietly) gone 8 games without a goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  Has anyone else noticed that Greg Carey has (rather quietly) gone 8 games without a goal?
                  This seems to be his year for assists. But I'll tell you one thing about that kid. He can score them in bunches.....the fact we won with him off the score sheet for one game and with I think just an assist in another bodes well for the team. Then....when the floodgates do open for Greg....it will be all the better for the team.

I remember one of the first goals I saw him score was at RPI. We were sitting in the "obstruction" corner at Houston, the one with the pillars that get in the way. Carey had the puck in the corner close to where we were. Both his feet were on the board side of the end line and he had the puck on his stick just over the end line. In the blink of an eye, he wristed the puck on net and put it in the upper corner. The goalie never moved. He got the shot off so quick and from such a flat angle it seemed impossible. I remember turning to Tim U and we were both like........"What the hell just happened" and "Wow can this kid shoot the puck!"
                  SLU

Comment

This seems to be his year for assists. But I'll tell you one thing about that kid. He can score them in bunches.....the fact we won with him off the score sheet for one game and with I think just an assist in another bodes well for the team. Then....when the floodgates do open for Greg....it will be all the better for the team.

I remember one of the first goals I saw him score was at RPI. We were sitting in the "obstruction" corner at Houston, the one with the pillars that get in the way. Carey had the puck in the corner close to where we were. Both his feet were on the board side of the end line and he had the puck on his stick just over the end line. In the blink of an eye, he wristed the puck on net and put it in the upper corner. The goalie never moved. He got the shot off so quick and from such a flat angle it seemed impossible. I remember turning to Tim U and we were both like........"What the hell just happened" and "Wow can this kid shoot the puck!"
                    I can relate to the "obstruction" corner, it's pretty brutal if you manage to get stuck behind it (which I have). Thankfully Houston Field House is a bit cavernous and we were able to move down in front of the pole rather early in the game!

It's good to see that the team can put up good numbers offensively and continue to win (lately anyways) when he doesn't score. I think it's a good sign for the future once he is gone more than anything. Now once he does start scoring goals again hopefully the other components will continue to produce. We can never just seem to get everyone play well all together it seems!

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post

Not only that. There was a player coming through the slot. Carey made a subtle move like he was going to feed a pass to him. The goalie turned just a whisker toward the middle of the ice. When a tiny opening appeared between his shoulder and the post, Carey fired a laser behind him for the goal. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                        Not only that. There was a player coming through the slot. Carey made a subtle move like he was going to feed a pass to him. The goalie turned just a whisker toward the middle of the ice. When a tiny opening appeared between his shoulder and the post, Carey fired a laser behind him for the goal. Amazing.
                        I can remember a very similar goal he scored at Appleton vs UVM his first year. Me, Mike, Tayt, the TL Crew, and others just looked up to the rafters at Appleton in amazement. On the way out of the BW to warm up the SLUWAGON before the trek back to Tupper, I saw Joe and his family and Joe asked, "so, how do you like #10's release?" Response was, "good luck keeping him four years." Joe's response was, "he's staying all-four, and NOT to be posted anywhere is that his brother is coming in a few years and he is also a very good player." We all pile into the SLUWAGON, and I repeat to the guys my conversation with Joe and that the news about Matt coming in a few years is not to be posted or Joe will kill me. They all threaten to post it but didn't.

#10 is an amazing talent and the goals will come. I can't imagine trying to stop the lasers he unleashes. And yes, Joe was spot-on regarding Greg and Matt.
                        Last edited by Muskieman; 02-10-2014, 09:17 PM.
                        GO SAINTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                          Where have you been bcarlisle? You've missed a plethora of wonderful statements from the children in the Quinnipiac thread. Or wait, I forgot, it's Q-Pac
                          Trust me. I've done some lurking over there in the Q-pac thread and I've been quite entertained. I did not see the Q-Pac game but I derive great pleasure from our recent record against Q-Pac' s money game.
                          Last edited by bcarlisle; 02-11-2014, 12:02 PM.
                          St. Lawrence University

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by Muskieman View Post

#10 is an amazing talent and the goals will come. I can't imagine trying to stop the lasers he unleashes.
                            Speaking of, I read somewhere before the season that #10 was most likely to end up signing this Spring with either Dallas or Toronto. Anyone know if that has changed? Is he likely to get an immediate shot at the NHL level?

Also wondering about Matt Carey's status. He is undrafted. Is he too old for this year's draft? So he'll be a free agent for the next three years?

And has anyone talked to any scouts about Gavin Bayreuther. He was looking to be a 5th rounder, give or take. Does a performance like last weekend's move up his stock?
                            St. Lawrence University

Comment

Speaking of, I read somewhere before the season that #10 was most likely to end up signing this Spring with either Dallas or Toronto. Anyone know if that has changed? Is he likely to get an immediate shot at the NHL level?

Also wondering about Matt Carey's status. He is undrafted. Is he too old for this year's draft? So he'll be a free agent for the next three years?

And has anyone talked to any scouts about Gavin Bayreuther. He was looking to be a 5th rounder, give or take. Does a performance like last weekend's move up his stock?
                              Well, hopefully you got to see the comments on the Q-Pac board before Peckerhead or one of his disciples complained and got them all deleted. Honestly, how a recruit can be dumb enough to go there to play for that guy is a question of the ages. They don't exactly have a great record of getting guys into the pros. If a player wants a building, they should be looking to go to Minnesota, North Dakota, BU, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. I have to believe Carvy's and Hurley's pro experience has got to be a draw. Not to mention the SLU alum network in the NHL is among the strongest there is.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine Carey heading straight to the NHL. It hasn't happened for a lot of other college stars such as Bobby Butler or the majority of other guys from places like BU and BC. You never know though. You can't teach goal-scoring and you can teach people to have a shot like his. He is the first guy I have seen whose wrister is harder than most guys slap shots including his own. I've lost count of his thread the needle type goals. When he was being recruited Hurley said "he is just deadly from the circles in".....I'd say he certainly came as promised. The only knock on him has been his skating, but I don't see that as an issue as he certainly gets there.

Matt Carey would be a free agent. As for Bayreuther, I would imagine his stock is rising. He had a 5-6 point weekend and played solid defense. He is on pace to finish as one of the top scoring defensemen in the country as a freshmen. He is smooth and poised and he is quarterbacking the #1 PP in the nation. Again, you can't teach that. When is the last time we had a freshmen QB our #1 PP unit? I'm thinking never. Maybe 84-85?

The person to ask is Bob McKenzie. He is all-knowing....especially as it relates to SLU grads.

What more can you ask from a kid like Carey. Great student, hard worker and a great finisher. You know you got something special when as a freshmen you worry about them leaving or even graduating in 4 years. That's how I felt about Greg Carey. That's also how I feel about Bayreuther, Sweetman and Matt Carey. I think they may be some other diamonds lurking in that class too.

Comment

If any of you are wondering who the biggest ********* is on USCHO, my vote goes to this *******. Every two weeks he hits me up with negative rep and some choice comment about SLU.

Can I just tell you how much I love that your handle has been Got 6 since 2001 and you've had no need to change it (and won't for the foreseeable future)? -DisplacedCornellian And while it is a shame that I haven't had to change my handle since 2001, isn't ironic that the only other team to have 5 ECAC championships since the breakup with HEA is SLU and we won most of ours when the ECAC was THE dominant league unlike theirs which were during very lean years where we got one or two bids total as a league.

He's a troll and an insult to Cornell's other alums....assuming he actually went there.

Comment

Working...
                                X