Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

To paraphrase Nuke LaLoosh, that was beautiful what you did.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Let me correct myself so credit is given where it's due-the Careys gave us 3 points-a goal and 2 assists. But, more than that, they continue to draw attention which clears the way for the rest of the TEAM to do their job. And do it well they did this weekend! Points came from all over the place!
      Last edited by saintsdad; 02-08-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        To paraphrase Nuke LaLoosh, that was beautiful what you did.
        Kepler.........I keep thinking this is Facebook and I'm looking for the "Like" button on your comment!!!

Nuke LaLoosh....there's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Great movie....great win tonight by the Saints.
        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
          Enjoy your marquee win this year since you won't be in the NCAA's while we will be playing in late March.
          We will. Just keep in mind we played Union last weekend and they are better than you guys and they were missing 3 very good players to suspension. And don't go counting your chickens. Your schedule is weak and you just got crushed by a mediocre Merrimack team.

So far we are 3-1 against top 5 teams so don't flatter yourself. SLU played well and earned that win and your whiny coach just made it that much more tasty.
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

• Congrats on the win, SLU! We appreciate it!
            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Way to go on the win over Q. You should've heard how loud Messa Rink was when they announced the final score. I think the only time it was any louder tonight was when Union scored.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                We will. Just keep in mind we played Union last weekend and they are better than you guys and they were missing 3 very good players to suspension. And don't go counting your chickens. Your schedule is weak and you just got crushed by a mediocre Merrimack team.

So far we are 3-1 against top 5 teams so don't flatter yourself. SLU played well and earned that win and your whiny coach just made it that much more tasty.
                Except we didn't have JST tonight and one of our top freshman D-man in Connor Clifton so that pretty much evens out there. Sweeping Lowell in two games, Beating Cornell at Lynah, tying Yale and Providence along with beating Union (3rd in PWR), Clarkson (ranked team) and Colgate (15th in PWR) isn't a soft schedule. They lost to Merrimack which was not a big deal considering it didn't even hurt them in the PWR. It will be nice to see another trip to the NCAA's this March when St. Lawrence will have missed the NCAA's 12 of out the last 13 seasons.
                Last edited by QUAlum2004; 02-08-2014, 11:41 PM.
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  Except we didn't have JST tonight and one of our top freshman D-man in Connor Clifton so that pretty much evens out there. Sweeping Lowell in two games, Beating Cornell at Lynah, tying Yale and Providence along with beating Union (3rd in PWR), Clarkson (ranked team) and Colgate (15th in PWR) isn't a soft schedule. They lost to Merrimack which was not a big deal considering it didn't even hurt them in the PWR. It will be nice to see another trip to the NCAA's this March when St. Lawrence will have missed the NCAA's 12 of out the last 13 seasons.
                  This post shows that a Q-Pac degree is not worth a whole lot. We also didn't have one of our good Freshmen D and you had a 6-1 advantage in minor PP's in the third. Lowell and Cornell were both slow out of the gate this year. So was Colgate. I'd wait and see how next weekend works out before you blather much more. UAA, UAF, Merrimack x 2, Bentley....ZERO NCAA appearances in the last 10 years. I am not denying Q-Pac has talent. They do. They have stolen a number of recruits from us. But other teams in the league have talent too like Cornell and Union yet their coaches are able to show respect for their opponents, the league and the game. It says something that Q-Pac is the only team in the league that most ECAC fans to root for in the NCAA's against the other leagues.

We'll see how it turns out, but it will take a lot to erase the stain on the league and the game that Pecknold continues to make.

Comment

Always a nice boost to beat a quality team. Hopefully we can figure out our home woes and beat Harvard and Dartmouth next weekend. Sounds like the fellas returned to the style of play that brought us our early season success, now to continue that through the rest of the month and into the playoffs.

Comment

Always an excuse with the QU fans. We didn't have this, we didn't have that. Nice to out play and out coach you in Hamden again.

Comment

Great win and weekend Saints ! You fans deserve it. I am also very happy as we WRECKED Cornell last night. Life is good today
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Here's the USCHO game recap (sans heading) and I bolded Pecknold's comments::

Justin Baker scored the game-winning power-play goal for the St. Lawrence Saints as they came back to defeat the No. 3 Quinnipiac Bobcats, 3-2, Saturday night at the High Point Solutions Arena.

St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel called a timeout after Connor Jones was whistled for interference and the Saints were going on a power play. After winning the faceoff, Greg Carey wristed a shot from the right point, where Quinnipiac netminder Michael Garteig kicked out the rebound and Baker was there to bat the puck into the net out of the air with the backhand.

“Believe it or not we drew that up; sometimes it works,” Carvel said. “The power play being as good as it’s been, we have a very good relationship where I will ask, ‘Guys what do you see?’ and they will tell me, ‘Let’s do this.’ We wanted to turn the corner and give it over to Greg and look for options. Basically, we just got the puck to the net and got a lucky bounce.”

The Saints survived being down a man for much of the final four minutes of the game, including down five-on-three for 1:14 to hold on to the victory.

“That’s been the Achilles’ heel for us this year, is the penalty kill,” Carvel said. “Our power play’s number one in the country but our penalty kill is almost bottom so as good as the power play is, it’s been balanced by our penalty kill, so those were huge.”

Matt Weninger was solid in goal for the Saints with several stellar saves that kept them in the game and the Bobcats off the scoreboard. Weninger was also helped out by the post when two Quinnipiac shots rang off the post and back out.

“Our team’s starting to get their feet under them again; the biggest reason is our goaltender’s starting to play well, Weninger was outstanding tonight,” said Carvel

Weninger finished the game with 31 saves on 33 shots to pick up the victory over the Bobcats, who outshot the Saints 33-23 in the game.

“We weren’t very good tonight; I thought we stunk in every facet of the game,” Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said. “One of the strengths of our team is our character and we find ways to battle through and we didn’t have it tonight for whatever reason and that’s our fault. There’s no excuses.”

Quinnipiac had the strong advantage in the third period by outshooting St. Lawrence 17-6, but couldn’t find the net again after taking a 2-1 lead early on in the period.

“We should have done that for three periods,” Pecknold said. “I thought we played better in the third, even though we gave up the three-on-two goal which was just a bad mistake by a freshman defenseman at the blue line. He’s got the puck on his stick and he doesn’t bury it deep. We don’t have our back-checker. I thought we had our chances, we hit posts. I thought the St. Lawrence goalie was pretty good too, made some saves.
                          Matt Peca put Quinnipiac up 1-0 with just 1:50 left in the first period when he collected the rebound of a Soren Jonzzon shot that hit the post and came back out under Weninger, where Peca tapped it back home.

St. Lawrence responded to tie the game 1-1 midway through the second period when Gavin Bayreuther wristed a shot from the left point that went right past Garteig’s blocker as he was screened in front and couldn’t find the puck.

The Bobcats regained the lead just 1:41 into the third period when Bryce Van Brabant scored on a power play after receiving a pass from Zach Tolkinen at the point and whiffed on a shot attempt before getting the shot off that went through Weninger’s five-hole.

Brian Ward answered back with 5:28 left to play in the third period when he skated down the center of the ice into the slot, where Drew Smolcynski found him with a centering feed and he wristed a shot high on Garteig’s blocker side to tie the game 2-2.

“Ward can finish; he’s got a wonderful shot,” Carvel said. “When he gets some time he’s sneaky, he’s a finisher, and Smolcynski when he’s got time is a very good distributor of the puck, so those guys got a little space and made the most of it.”

Pecknold needs to show some class and compliment the opposing team. So, I will do it for him - "Nice game by SLU - they outplayed us, their goalie and PK were both fabulous particularly in the 3rd period, and they deserved to win." He also needs to show some class and not rip into his team. So, I will do it for him. "We could have played better, we made some mistakes, and will work hard to correct them this week in practice."

Q'Pac fans - you can have him despite the many wins he has brought your way over the years.

Congratulations, Saints.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2014/02/...#ixzz2sph0OxP7
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Two nice W's this weekend for you guys. Watched several of your games this year on your free video feed. It will be interesting down the ECAC stretch because if you start to get consistent solid defensive zone play you will be a tough out with the potential of your offense. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                              Weninger finished the game with 31 saves on 33 shots to pick up the victory over the Bobcats, who outshot the Saints 33-23 in the game.

“We weren’t very good tonight; I thought we stunk in every facet of the game,” Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said. “One of the strengths of our team is our character and we find ways to battle through and we didn’t have it tonight for whatever reason and that’s our fault. There’s no excuses.”

Quinnipiac had the strong advantage in the third period by outshooting St. Lawrence 17-6, but couldn’t find the net again after taking a 2-1 lead early on in the period.

“We should have done that for three periods,” Pecknold said. “I thought we played better in the third, even though we gave up the three-on-two goal which was just a bad mistake by a freshman defenseman at the blue line. He’s got the puck on his stick and he doesn’t bury it deep. We don’t have our back-checker. I thought we had our chances, we hit posts. I thought the St. Lawrence goalie was pretty good too, made some saves.
                              Matt Peca put Quinnipiac up 1-0 with just 1:50 left in the first period when he collected the rebound of a Soren Jonzzon shot that hit the post and came back out under Weninger, where Peca tapped it back home.

Pecknold needs to show some class and compliment the opposing team. So, I will do it for him - "Nice game by SLU - they outplayed us, their goalie and PK were both fabulous particularly in the 3rd period, and they deserved to win." He also needs to show some class and not rip into his team. So, I will do it for him. "We could have played better, we made some mistakes, and will work hard to correct them this week in practice."

Q'Pac fans - you can have him despite the many wins he has brought your way over the years.

Congratulations, Saints.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2014/02/...#ixzz2sph0OxP7
                              Plus, it is STANK not STUNK. Learn to speak English you classless muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988 View Post
                                Two nice W's this weekend for you guys. Watched several of your games this year on your free video feed. It will be interesting down the ECAC stretch because if you start to get consistent solid defensive zone play you will be a tough out with the potential of your offense. Good luck.
                                Thanks, the video feed has been a great addition this year. I haven't been able to make all the games for the first time in nearly 17+ season so to have the video feed has been wonderful. I think we all knew/know the potential of this team and we started out of the gate at that full potential. It's nice to see we are headed back in that direction. Still a lot of work to do, but I completely agree we could be a very difficult out if we continue on this trend.
                                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                                X