Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
    I just could not tell on that reviewed goal. At first I thought it was definitely in but then not. It was definitely not definitive. It was telling that the guys in the UND TV truck, who had better access to the replays than anyone, thought it was a no goal. I dont know if the officiating was poor or just tight. They did throw Tambeliini out early in the game for trying to take out Carey-- so it was not completely one-sided.

The better news, even though we "only" end up with a split, was that the team looked like it was firing on all cylinders. Wenninger looked really good. He was completely screened on the third goal. Good thing the D got it together because we really need at least a split with Clarkson.

Also worth noting that Justin Baker and Jeremy Wick played absolutely huge in both games. Patrick Doherty showed some incredible moves close in and his line coukd have easily had two to three more goals.

Also, Greg Carey did a really nice job with his between period interview. Good Hobey stuff. That and the UND announcers could not shut up about him. What I loved more than anything was the respect and the fear the UND announcers developed as the weekend wore on. No "EZAC" commentary likely to come out of Grand Forks anytime soon.

Does anyine know if this set is recipricol? Will UND be coming to Appleton? With the reallignment, they ought to. Got 6, any clue on that?
    One of the UND Audio guys last night commented that G. Carey's release reminded him of Brett Hull's. As for UND coming to Appleton, I doubt that it will happen because 10,500+ fans per game as opposed to 2,000+ fans per game means much more $$$$. And, yes, the EZAC chatter has been rather quiet of late - silence is golden.

Saints#1 - a Great Thread Title!!
    Last edited by Muskieman; 12-01-2013, 10:30 AM.
    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
      You're very welcome! It is definitely interesting to hear how the opposing teams felt about the game. I find it odd that hardly any credit was given to St. Lawrence, who played a great game. Everything was about UND and how awful they played. Oh well, such is life, we will just have to keep at it tonight. After the article it's not looking like tonight will be easy. I expect UND to come out and take it to us, hopefully we play well enough to keep it interesting.
      Maybe N Dakota played "so bad" because SLU was "so good". Depends who's team you're rooting for !
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        The UND Audio guys said (after the review) that the puck apparently hit the center of the net and came out quickly. Whatever, I hope they got it right. Speaking of right, we played great out there and really dominated UND in the 3rd last night. Just need to carry that momentum over and finish this road trip over-.500.

I just get a sixth sense that this split at UND is going to be the springboard that propels the Saints on to great things this season and beyond. I hope it starts at Cheel.
        I don't know if this link will take you there. But once you get on the UND webpage for their athletics/hockey page, you can see the replays. I have to say the UND recaps and hi lights are among the best I have seen. Not only do you get to see it in great quality but they have replays and often add in slow motion. Great stuff and they do a wonderful job with it. I watched the replay several times and it is really, really, hard to tell if the puck hit the back of the net, or, the crossbar. The announcers do allude to the guys in the truck saying it was the crossbar.
        None the less....it was what is was and time to move on. The highlights did show the boys put on a good effort in the third with Doherty having the best chance near the end.
        Back to conference play and thanks to UND for great coverage.

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...500&id=3124787
        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
          One of the UND Audio guys last night commented that G. Carey's release reminded him of Brett Hull's. As for UND coming to Appleton, I doubt that it will happen because 10,500+ fans per game as opposed to 2,000+ fans per game means much more $$$$. And, yes, the EZAC chatter has been rather quiet of late - silence is golden.
          . That's funny about Brett Hull. Their video guys said Carey's release was like Joe Sakik - which seems more apt to me.

I have no insight but it would seem to me that economics notwithstanding, the league realignment which leaves the NCHC teams with less bankable league opponents -- combined with recent dramatic improvement in the ECAC non -league and post-season records and the resultant Pairwise impact , further combined with the BiG 10 and Hockey East clearly colluding to play each other more to the exclusion of other leagues -- that this might well give ECAC teams enough leverage to push some of these "big rink" non -Big-10 Western teams into scheduling more games at our smaller rinks. After all CC, which plays in a big downtown building, came to Clarkson. Not sure if my thinking has any merit but it would be nice if it did.
          St. Lawrence University
          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
            I don't know if this link will take you there. But once you get on the UND webpage for their athletics/hockey page, you can see the replays. I have to say the UND recaps and hi lights are among the best I have seen. Not only do you get to see it in great quality but they have replays and often add in slow motion. Great stuff and they do a wonderful job with it. I watched the replay several times and it is really, really, hard to tell if the puck hit the back of the net, or, the crossbar. The announcers do allude to the guys in the truck saying it was the crossbar.
            None the less....it was what is was and time to move on. The highlights did show the boys put on a good effort in the third with Doherty having the best chance near the end.
            Back to conference play and thanks to UND for great coverage.

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...500&id=3124787
            I agree with the UND announcers on the "goal" that 5 of 10 would say it was in and 5 would say it was out. Thanks for sharing that link - it is great stuff.

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.
            GO SAINTS.

Comment

In the highlight video the puck clearlry hits the back of the goal and comes out... so the conspiracy theories can be put to bed. SLU looked to be a very decent team but make no mistake, you played NoDak at a very good time. I was unable to watch Saturdays game live but I was at Fridays and that was the least effort I've seen a UND team put in in more than 25 years of watching this program. I enjoyed watching number 10 skate, he is clearly the real deal. Good luck from here out St. Lawrence fans, you clearly have a great program to cheer for...

Comment

Thanks for putting that to bed. Your replay access must have been better than the online stream because that surely wasn't clear. Regardless, a goal is goal, thanks for the compliments and good luck to UND the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Harp 34 View Post
                  Thanks for putting that to bed. Your replay access must have been better than the online stream because that surely wasn't clear. Regardless, a goal is goal, thanks for the compliments and good luck to UND the rest of the way.
                  I say no goal. You can see the puck the entire time hence it couldn't have gone under the cross-bar, but, I'll concede that it is pretty hard to overrule the call on the ice.

Critsports nailed, as soon as you fly west of the OH/NY boarder, you can not expect to get calls and you can also expect a number of phantom calls against. We got both but still almost prevailed in both games. I agree it is a good showing and after the third and I am sure UND knowing that calling #2 a goal was a gift, they felt fortunate to get out with a win. As long as I live, I'll never forget what happened to us at Western Michigan early in the 87-88 season. For those that don't remember, we entered the 3rd of the 2nd game out there up 6-1 and played almost every minute of the 3rd period and OT down 2 men losing 7-6 in OT. Some were absolute phantom calls. It was so obvious, you would have to believe that the refs had money on that game. Ever since that, Joe Marsh made it a point (which he was always right about) that you have to deal with homer refs everywhere but the ECAC and in the ECAC they often favor the visiting team. Regardless, that's one of the obstacles you have to over come as a good team.

I am pretty certain it is reciprocal but I just can't recall. I am not at all certain. What I am certain of is that I am no fan of this league reallignment. When it destroys rivalries like Denver, CC, UMD and UND against Minnesota and Wisconsin, eliminates the CCHA in whole, increases the number of autobids to several small leagues like the new WCHA and NCHC, I just can't warm up to it. I personally feel like the chances are good this will really harm the prestige of a bunch of programs - basically all western teams not in the Big 10. I do expect a meteoric rise of Penn State - they''ll benefit, but really think this will take some getting used to and may hurt a re-emergent ECAC with a number of teams in the league posting some big NC wins and solid records in the first half.

Any way, good to see two pretty solid 60 minute efforts and good play front to back. These games against Clarkson are huge as are the games against UVM. Let's hope the roll starts now because I will bet money these next two games which will decide who gets home ice and the bye in March.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    These games against Clarkson are huge as are the games against UVM. Let's hope the roll starts now because I will bet money these next two games which will decide who gets home ice and the bye in March.
                    These are four big games if we want to be in the running for an at-large NCAA tournament bid. Clarkson currently sits 8th in the Ratings Percentage Index and UVM 20th.

Overall the Saints played 2 pretty good games out west and are hopefully finding their stride.
                    SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                      These are four big games if we want to be in the running for an at-large NCAA tournament bid. Clarkson currently sits 8th in the Ratings Percentage Index and UVM 20th.

Overall the Saints played 2 pretty good games out west and are hopefully finding their stride.
                      Certainly hoping for a good showing these next fews games as well. Not sure if the guys read these threads, but BRING IT this weekend you guys. Take it to the Knights, we definitely are due against them after the past couple of years.
                      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Anyone making it out for both games against our arch-rival this weekend? I'll be at both, hoping for two wins (fingers crossed). Let's pack Appleton Saturday night and make it even more difficult on those Knights from down Route 11 ... Let's Go Saints!!
                        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Saints#1, I'll be watching both games online this weekend.

On a separate note, does anyone know when Drew Smolcynski is due back from his upper body injury?
                          SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                            Saints#1, I'll be watching both games online this weekend.

On a separate note, does anyone know when Drew Smolcynski is due back from his upper body injury?
                            I believe I remember it was a possible separated shoulder? If that's the case, I would imagine sometime after the new year. Simply speculation, however.

I'll be watching online as well.

Comment

Here's to a good week of practice to the team. We'll want to be at our best as we take on that other school located down Rt 11.

No time like now to start making those life long memories. In looking at last year's SLU Hockey Tribute, there was one team I noticed that was absent from the highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLzfgqzRnA

I'm sure the seniors would like nothing better to make sure the Golden Knights are added to this year's film!
                              SLU '97

Comment

Long article (lots of good info), but a nice call out of SLU's frosh class:

http://overtheboards.net/isnt-it-obv...ot-recruiting/

Comment

Working...
                                X