X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big News out of the CIS

Some big news making waves in the CIS.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/cis...s/20131126-cis

For the athletes that were on the fence about leaving NCAA and going back to CIS this will most likely make their decision easier knowing they don't have to sit out 1 year anymore.

Also with the 5 year pilot project in CIS Women's Hockey they can now offer more money to athletes for other things than just tuition. This could have significant impact on whether they stay in Canada or go to the States. This will most definitely make recruiting more difficult for the NCAA Coaches.

Originally posted by CDNCoach View Post

For the athletes that were on the fence about leaving NCAA and going back to CIS this will most likely make their decision easier knowing they don't have to sit out 1 year anymore.

Also with the 5 year pilot project in CIS Women's Hockey they can now offer more money to athletes for other things than just tuition. This could have significant impact on whether they stay in Canada or go to the States. This will most definitely make recruiting more difficult for the NCAA Coaches.
    Doubtful. Get back to us in 5 years and let us know how its working out for you.

Comment

Re: Big News out of the CIS

That is big news indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
        Doubtful. Get back to us in 5 years and let us know how its working out for you.
        Disagree. It will allow some schools that do have the funding to attract more top talent to stay at home. Having said that, it won't make much of a difference for the schools that even today do not take full advantage of the allowable limits due to financial constraints.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          Disagree. It will allow some schools that do have the funding to attract more top talent to stay at home. Having said that, it won't make much of a difference for the schools that even today do not take full advantage of the allowable limits due to financial constraints.
          A couple of hockey players choosing to stay home is not going to make recruiting for NCAA programs all that much more difficult.

The fact that has you noted several programs won't take advantage of this is only more reason for many top players not to stay home.

If anything it may keep more mid-level Canadian girls at home which again will not have a huge impact on things in the NCAA

Comment

From the perspective of an NCAA coach, I could see where this might influence the decision as to which player to bring in: a U.S. (or other non-Canadian) player COULD be seen as slightly less risky to transfer out than a Canadian player (notwithstanding the fact that outside the WCHA any player can already transfer without penalty). But it does change the equation, if ever so slightly, because the Canadian player could now be slightly more likely to move back to her native country, if for whatever reason her original choice to attend a school in the U.S. didn't work out.

If what you say is true there will plenty of U.S. and other foreign players who would gladly take that scholarship! And unless and until a large number of TOP Canadian players start to decide to stay and play for CIS schools I seriously doubt that the decisions of those top Canadian players will change because of either modification in the CIS rules.
            Last edited by D2D; 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I had a Canadian head coach tell me seven years ago that this stuff was in the works. No need to get out the radar gun to clock how fast they worked on this.

Comment

NCAA DIII schools will be adversely impacted by this and probably quite severely mostly in the east. Elmira, Norwich, Manhattanville and St Norberts might be able to ride this out.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                  NCAA DIII schools will be adversely impacted by this and probably quite severely mostly in the east. Elmira, Norwich, Manhattanville and St Norberts might be able to ride this out.
                  And schools that dont actively recruit canadians for whatever reason

Comment

they all play by the same rules, how would this make it more difficult?

Comment

I think this is great news for women's hockey. It allows more female hockey players the ability to get an education for free. This will hopefully allow more US players an opportunity at a scholarship. The more US players receiving scholarships the better, let us not give anymore free educations to foreign student/ athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        they all play by the same rules, how would this make it more difficult?
                        This has nothing to do with following rules. What I meant when I said "This will most definitely make recruiting more difficult for the NCAA Coaches." is there will be more money offered to players by CIS programs that also have offers to NCAA programs which in turn will make it more difficult for NCAA coaches to recruit Canadian players.

Obviously not all CIS programs will be able to offer a whole bunch more money than what they are offering now but there will be schools that can. There is some programs that are very wealthy. They have worked on getting donations from alumni, businesses or philanthropists.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens in the years to come.

Comment

This has nothing to do with following rules. What I meant when I said "This will most definitely make recruiting more difficult for the NCAA Coaches." is there will be more money offered to players by CIS programs that also have offers to NCAA programs which in turn will make it more difficult for NCAA coaches to recruit Canadian players.

Obviously not all CIS programs will be able to offer a whole bunch more money than what they are offering now but there will be schools that can. There is some programs that are very wealthy. They have worked on getting donations from alumni, businesses or philanthropists.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens in the years to come.
                          Depending on the magnitude of impact on that recruiting what I think will / would be interesting is the potential opportunities for non-Canadians opening up as a result. Players from both within and outside the US. I guess it's merely the potential for an increase in competition for players...and maybe blue chip players in particular, beyond what that competition is for NCAA programs presently. Not sure it would put NCAA programs with athletic scholarship $$ at any kind of a noticeable disadvantage. I'd expect they remain an attractive option for the D-I prospect from anywhere.

Whatever the impact turns out to be...could actually be a silver lining from the perspective of some who hope to play NCAA D-I college hockey.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                            It allows more female hockey players the ability to get an education for free.
                            Not disputing your basic premise but I would just point out that defining the word "free" is important so that one gets an accurate picture of what is occurring in these situations and what one is talking about and meaning.

What is "free" in a full scholarship is the cost of the tuition and books (but usually not any required lab classes with their associated costs) as well as room and board and possibly (depending on the university) any extended healthcare benefits that are not covered by the student/athlete's previously existing coverage.

My experience has lead me to conclude that for a student/athlete to survive on the "board" part of the room and board allowance one would almost need to be anorexic especially when you consider that these athletes usually need to pay close attention to what food goes into their bodies in order to be able to maintain peak performance. In other words, they can't just buy anything because they want to keep the cost of their purchases down.

The "room" part of the equation is somewhat similar to the "board" part although somewhat less so in my opinion.

As a result, the shortfall has to come from somewhere...ie: parents, relatives, the student/athlete's savings, borrowed from a financial institution etc..

In addition, the huge amount of time required to be part of the team (training, practising, playing, travelling, community events etc.) adds stress to what would otherwise be a stressful enough academic experience...and possibly more so for those on high profile teams with a tradition of winning.

They often endure through injuries, (sometimes several throughout their tenure with the team), and/or through feelings of guilt that they impose upon themselves as a result of not being able to contribute to the team effort as a result of their having sustained an injury that warrants their being forced into the stands during their recovery. You can also add illness to the mix.

So, I've never looked at it as a full scholarship's equating to their education being free. They pay and some of them can pay dearly. Some of what they or their family members pay is financial but a huge percentage of the payment is in currency that only the student/athlete can pay and that particular currency is one that you can't fold into your wallet. And I've sometimes wondered which currency contribution is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Not disputing your basic premise but I would just point out that defining the word "free" is important so that one gets an accurate picture of what is occurring in these situations and what one is talking about and meaning.

What is "free" in a full scholarship is the cost of the tuition and books (but usually not any required lab classes with their associated costs) as well as room and board and possibly (depending on the university) any extended healthcare benefits that are not covered by the student/athlete's previously existing coverage.

My experience has lead me to conclude that for a student/athlete to survive on the "board" part of the room and board allowance one would almost need to be anorexic especially when you consider that these athletes usually need to pay close attention to what food goes into their bodies in order to be able to maintain peak performance. In other words, they can't just buy anything because they want to keep the cost of their purchases down.

The "room" part of the equation is somewhat similar to the "board" part although somewhat less so in my opinion.

As a result, the shortfall has to come from somewhere...ie: parents, relatives, the student/athlete's savings, borrowed from a financial institution etc..

In addition, the huge amount of time required to be part of the team (training, practising, playing, travelling, community events etc.) adds stress to what would otherwise be a stressful enough academic experience...and possibly more so for those on high profile teams with a tradition of winning.

They often endure through injuries, (sometimes several throughout their tenure with the team), and/or through feelings of guilt that they impose upon themselves as a result of not being able to contribute to the team effort as a result of their having sustained an injury that warrants their being forced into the stands during their recovery. You can also add illness to the mix.

So, I've never looked at it as a full scholarship's equating to their education being free. They pay and some of them can pay dearly. Some of what they or their family members pay is financial but a huge percentage of the payment is in currency that only the student/athlete can pay and that particular currency is one that you can't fold into your wallet. And I've sometimes wondered which currency contribution is more important.
                              Very good post and so true. Hidden/Not measurable Opportunity costs.

Your post illustrates that for players to succeed at this level they have to be committed AND love the game, otherwise it becomes too much of a chore. In addition, like to point out, that you may not consider it free, but I like to think that the lessons learned and the experience gained are also very real values, in some cases priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X