SUNYAC Future Travel Partner Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUNYAC Future Travel Partner Change?

I don't usually post on here, but when I do, it's for a good reason.

I believe Canton will be coming into the league fairly soon, and with that being said, that gives us an even 10 teams.

It's about 11.7 miles from Potsdam to Canton, about an hour from Cortland to Morrisville, and Platty is way out in the middle of almost-Southern Canada.

Assuming that Fredonia-Buff State and Brockport-Genny stay together, how do we make the most sense out of everything based on geography and logistics?

I'm throwing one out there that would make many of you salivate: Put Platty and Oswego as partners.

...aaaand GO!
    Former FredoniaColorAnalysist(C)

Re: SUNYAC Future Travel Partner Change?

Originally posted by ibidiar View Post

I believe Canton will be coming into the league fairly soon, and with that being said, that gives us an even 10 teams.

It's about 11.7 miles from Potsdam to Canton, about an hour from Cortland to Morrisville, and Platty is way out in the middle of almost-Southern Canada.

Assuming that Fredonia-Buff State and Brockport-Genny stay together, how do we make the most sense out of everything based on geography and logistics?

I'm throwing one out there that would make many of you salivate: Put Platty and Oswego as partners.

...aaaand GO!
    1. Canton going to the SUNYAC is not even close to being final. The SUNYAC needs to change a by-law in order to have a better shot of bringing them in. Canton won't even be a full Division III team until 2015-16 at the earliest and it could even be the year after that.
    2. I highly doubt the rest of the league will want Plattsburgh and Oswego as travel partners....They are four hours away from each other as well.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

...aaaand GO!
      Current Travel Partners
      Brk Gen 38.48
      Buff Fre 49.44
      PSU Pots 91.64
      OSU Cort 76
      Mor X X

Fred Buf 49.44
      Brk Gen 38.48
      OSU Can 118.35
      Cort Mor 42.4
      PSU Pot 91.64

So while OSU to Canton is a +42.35 more distance then OSU/Cortland (76 miles), by putting Cortland and Morrisville together you're looking at only 42.4 compared to the original 76 (that's a -33.6) so a difference of only +8.75 (not too bad IMO).

What you are proposing would be almost an extra hour travel even with the shorter Potsdam/Canton and Morrisville/Cortland.....

And just as Prez said, Canton is not a done deal yet. One trip through the snow belt is bad enough, now there will be two
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        1. Canton going to the SUNYAC is not even close to being final. The SUNYAC needs to change a by-law in order to have a better shot of bringing them in. Canton won't even be a full Division III team until 2015-16 at the earliest and it could even be the year after that.
        2. I highly doubt the rest of the league will want Plattsburgh and Oswego as travel partners....They are four hours away from each other as well.
        So we're talking about '16-'17 until that's a working reality, but I understand those 2 not being travel partners, was just trying to throw out something to the wind.

I like what PSU has suggested about Morrisville and Cortland as well as 'Swego and Canton, but you can't deny that Potsdam & Canton are natural travel partners.
        That being said, Platty in the middle of nowhere hurts on more than one level for travel, etc...

*Sigh* if only we could find a way for this to work out for everyone, when it eventually happens
        Former FredoniaColorAnalysist(C)

Comment

So we're talking about '16-'17 until that's a working reality, but I understand those 2 not being travel partners, was just trying to throw out something to the wind.

I like what PSU has suggested about Morrisville and Cortland as well as 'Swego and Canton, but you can't deny that Potsdam & Canton are natural travel partners.
          That being said, Platty in the middle of nowhere hurts on more than one level for travel, etc...

*Sigh* if only we could find a way for this to work out for everyone, when it eventually happens
          When this discussion started last year, I had the exact same thought that PSUChamps had. It makes an immense amount of sense, which may be why SUNY doesn't go with it! The Oswego to Canton bus trip during a weekend can be hairy in the winter, but no worse than getting out to Buffalo in any month from November to March! If you're looking for a different answer than Remy gave, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one here...
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
            When this discussion started last year, I had the exact same thought that PSUChamps had. It makes an immense amount of sense, which may be why SUNY doesn't go with it! The Oswego to Canton bus trip during a weekend can be hairy in the winter, but no worse than getting out to Buffalo in any month from November to March! If you're looking for a different answer than Remy gave, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one here...
            Except Coach Emery said on Behind the Bench last year that this was the proposal that the hockey coaches were already considering in the event that SUNY Canton does join, and he was fairly confident that - if Canton joins - this is how things would be handled.

At least, that's what he said last year.
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

To think about Canton being a SUNYAC member is a bit of a stretch right now, and like Pres mentioned there are still alot to be done. It would be in the best interest of both SUNYAC and ECAC West if Canton goes to the West. This will give the West an all important 7th team to qualify for the AC for the NCAA's. Yes I know there will be a long ride for Neuman and M'ville.
              Oswego '88

Comment

Canton to the ECAC West to get to 7? If the geography works out, yes, please!
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Canton to the ECAC West to get to 7? If the geography works out, yes, please!
                  Distance from SUNY Canton, according to the NCAA Calculator:

ECAC-W
                  391mi - Neumann University
                  345mi - Manhattanville College
                  223mi - Elmira College
                  205mi - Nazareth College
                  181mi - Hobart and William Smith Colleges
                  132mi - Utica College
                  Mean Distance: ~246.2 miles

SUNYAC
                  316mi - SUNY Fredonia
                  274mi - Buffalo State University
                  231mi - SUNY Geneseo
                  231mi - The College at Brockport
                  165mi - SUNY Cortland
                  160mi - SUNY Morrisville
                  117mi - SUNY Oswego
                  103mi - SUNY Plattsburgh
                  13mi - SUNY Postdam
                  Mean Distance: ~178.9 miles
                  Mean Distance (excluding POT): ~199.6 miles

If I had more time, I would see what the average travel distance is in each league already, and how the addition of Canton would affect that. But, alas, I don't.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The Canton/Oswego match up seems to make the most sense to me as well. SUNY Oswego to the Holiday Inn on Rt 81 is 55.4 miles, then another 62.9 miles to SUNY Canton. In a perfect world, an hour trip to or from your game isn't bad. It's not like they get much snow in the Watertown area, so that shouldn't be a problem
                    2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
                    2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
                    2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
                    2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

There is a strong push from the State of New York to have SUNY schools compete against one another more often, which leads me to believe Canton will be in the SUNYAC conference. I also believe it would be an OSU/Canton pairing, as it makes the most sense. The Pots/Platts pairing also should be left alone, we need the Cards to wear out our Saturday opponent anyway.
                      LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                        There is a strong push from the State of New York to have SUNY schools compete against one another more often, which leads me to believe Canton will be in the SUNYAC conference. I also believe it would be an OSU/Canton pairing, as it makes the most sense. The Pots/Platts pairing also should be left alone, we need the Cards to wear out our Saturday opponent anyway.
                        Why? 2x a regular season is not enough? Not in favor increasing that number.

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                          Why? 2x a regular season is not enough? Not in favor increasing that number.
                          I think the implication is over all more play among SUNY schools - thus Canton should play against more SUNY schools in hockey. From what I read elsewhere, Canton has no interest in joining the SUNYAC full time, and the SUNYAC is not inclined towards adding more affiliate members. If Canton joined the ECAC West, they could play lots of OOC games with the SUNYs if they wanted. Considering the discussion about Utica's SOS (or not) it seems there would be plenty of opportunities that way. In fact, if a 7 team ECAC W wanted to play each other just twice, there would be 13 openings on the Canton schedule to play SUNY schools.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

SUNY Central would merge Potsdam & Canton if they had the chance, so while the SUNYAC is a semi-autonomous organization, there is going to be significant pressure for Canton to share as much as possible with Potsdam.
                            Larry Normandin
                            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Then again Mr. Jaslow had mentioned the fact that hockey would not be the only sport for admission into the SUNYAC conference. This would create a problem, he would have to explain it since I am not well versed in that aspect.
                              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Working...
                              X