Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Picture number 21 - You can't see the net? If so, good lord...
    Yup. I first discovered that by looking up from the front of the student section and seeing just the front and bottom of the third deck. On the couple of times I've skated on the Kohl Center ice, I had to skate beyond the goal in order to match the angle of the seats with my sightline.

When we get 13,000 in the arena, it really feels full despite the 2,000 empty seats, because at that point, pretty much all the empty seats are in the 300 level ends, and they're just out of the way. (It's as if the arena was built the same way, except the 300 level is only on the sides and a couple rows on the ends.) Somewhere on the UWBadgers.com facilities page, it has 2 official seating capacities for the hockey configuration, with just over 13K as the capacity, and 15K and change as the official capacity including obstructed views.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Picture number 21 - You can't see the net? If so, good lord...
      Good Lord?

I disagree...

As DC's previous post pointed out, those seats are the last to be sold. In other words, after whole bunch more people get in as fit in the gopher hole, and it's essentially a SRO situation, people can still get in the building if they wish to. Why should that call for such epitaphs?
      Goofs like to point out there are obstructed/ designed for bouncy ball seats in the KC, as though that somehow negates the existence of all the good seats. It's certainly not like there isn't a ton more decent hockey seats available as compared to Marriucci or most other facilities in the country.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Good Lord?

I disagree...

As DC's previous post pointed out, those seats are the last to be sold. In other words, after whole bunch more people get in as fit in the gopher hole, and it's essentially a SRO situation, people can still get in the building if they wish to. Why should that call for such epitaphs?
        Goofs like to point out there are obstructed/ designed for bouncy ball seats in the KC, as though that somehow negates the existence of all the good seats. It's certainly not like there isn't a ton more decent hockey seats available as compared to Marriucci or most other facilities in the country.
        I feel the same way you do, but I emphasize what I said earlier - those seats should be cheaper! What I find interesting about the Kohl Center is the 300 level is clearly at its height/angle with basketball in mind, but the first two levels look and feel like they were made primarily for hockey, when it comes to sightlines.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          those seats should be cheaper!
          Agree 100%. Should be sold on SRO basis at SRO pricing.

the first two levels look and feel like they were made primarily for hockey, when it comes to sightlines.
          There may be some, but I'm really not aware of any bad seats in the first two levels. It's a great place to watch hockey.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The sky is falling!

Okay, maybe not, but my back flight to Madison tomorrow will be less enjoyable.

Comment

I love Shuey... He's always so cranked up after the game win or lose!

Let's see... he's not happy with the refs calling the bench minor. Thought overall Peterson played well. I'd gather he's not happy with Mersch as he was surprised Mersch even had a shot. (he had 2)... He'll light a fire under the boys, and we'll be back tomorrow night.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Would have hoped that a fire wouldn't need to be lit. Tired of the lip service of "We love these games against our rival, blah, blah, blah..."

No fire today. Very little compete.

If they can't get up for this game, will they ever?

Wondering about the "leadership" on this team.

Comment

And Peterson didn't play well enough. Can't let those two in when playing a tight game.

Not sure what Eaves & Co. think they see there, but he sure doesn't look equal to Rumpel in my eyes.

And before Baghdad Bob stops by with the "They always platoon those two at this time of year, blah, blah, blah..." doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.

Comment

Today's Word: Blah

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

I don't even know how to look at it... I'm not sure if it was the effort level. Shuey said they weren't disappointed in that so much... He also said they had guys on the bike between periods because they weren't getting in the game. I don't know what minutes played looked like but it can't have been very balanced at all, and I thought the top guys were looking a little gassed in the third. They put in a lot of ice time and pk'ing is a burnout.

We really need to stay out of the box and roll lines, that's where we are going to have an advantage, if we have one. Not saying we will, but if we're going to be playing in a CCHA, call every touch kind of league, we're going to have to be a lot more disciplined.

For all the abuse Rammer took about various things over his career, I thought that guy did a stellar job of leading last year. Does Frankie have it in him? I don't know. We'll find out pretty soon.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

That was the most important game on the regular season schedule, in my opinion. It would have been a great opportunity to start Big Ten play with a statement. Obviously, all the league games count the same, but everything's magnified with a small sample size. They weren't completing the same passes they could complete on opening night (not just because of the opponent, either). They're not living up to expectations right now. If they win tomorrow, yes, I'll feel completely different and better about it.

Also, when the gophers win, I read the stupidest stuff. I really would have loved to cheer about a Badger men's hockey win at the football game tomorrow.

Bright spots - They didn't lose to Holy Cross like BC did. They're not in OSU's situation. They're still awesome.

Are there any more valuable decommits sitting around?

Comment

against my better judgment I'll weigh in

4-4-1.

I think this sample size is good enough to judge. When I harped on a lack of overall talent (too many grinders) on the team last year and the year prior I got piled on by a few posters who let it be known to me that there were early departures and the team was young etc.

I'm not going to come out and say there's a huge dearth of talent on UW but they clearly are 2-3 players short of hanging with the best teams on a consistent basis and having the ability to win games against them with any consistency.

Peterson: I thought the bank shot goal was soft (why wasn't he covering the post etc) and the 5-hole goal (I think it was goal 3) was soft. I'd be ok w/Rumpel getting the nod from here out. The team needs an Elliott and he's as close as they've got.

The question to me becomes this: What of Eaves at this point? The track record since 2006 is spotty as hell and it's getting tiresome.

and I don't care how fired up Shuchuk is after the game, the TEAM needs to be fired up before and during the game.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

It's just sad to see a team so flat.

Plenty of possible reasons for it: anemic coaching, lack of passionate leadership, lack of good routines for road games, LACK OF GAMES PLAYED AT THE END OF NOVEMBER, itchy mustaches, etc.

In any case: it's disappointing and doesn't reflect well on the team.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              It's just sad to see a team so flat.

Plenty of possible reasons for it: anemic coaching, lack of passionate leadership, lack of good routines for road games, LACK OF GAMES PLAYED AT THE END OF NOVEMBER, itchy mustaches, etc.

In any case: it's disappointing and doesn't reflect well on the team.
                              Everything seemed flat, though when I had the radio stream on, it seemed less so, so some of it could have been ESPNU's problem (sometimes they synched, sometimes they didin't).

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                And Peterson didn't play well enough. Can't let those two in when playing a tight game.

Not sure what Eaves & Co. think they see there, but he sure doesn't look equal to Rumpel in my eyes.

And before Baghdad Bob stops by with the "They always platoon those two at this time of year, blah, blah, blah..." doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.
                                Eaves was not a platooner until these guys showed up at the same time. Give the keys to Rumpel. He's better than Petersen, it's as simple as that. We have to win now. Put the best guy out there. We needed the goalie to steal the game like Rigsby did against UND last Friday for the gals. These 2 games were just about carbon copies of eachother.

I do think UW's schedule is kinda torpedoing them as well, the schedule folks need to do a better job of this in the future seasons.

The # one PP unit had no one in front of Wilcox. No one there for tips, rebounds, screening. Just so confusing.

I did take advantage of the Black Friday deal and got 4 tickets in row G in 322 for the Sat. OSU game. Anyone know how good the viewing is from G? It's going to be a cool doubleheader day as we're doing the gals game in the afternoon.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X