• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Seth Appert

Originally posted by (removed in protest) View Post
    ...[can anyone hear me?]....

-
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      -
      You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FreshFish again.
      ^

Comment

Firing Seth Appert is the easy solution, and if you guys canned all the D1 coaches you'd like to, there might be only a hanful of coaches on the job.

From the outside looking in: You need to remember that RPI has always been a touch place to recruit blue-chippers to. First, RPI (like Clarkson and Michigan Tech) are essentially engineering schools with tough academic standards. Second, how many potential recruits stop at Clarkson first and never make a visit to RPI? Third, Clarkson's Cheel Center is a first class building, and RPI can't compete with that. RPI might want to bring in afirst class recruiter who can overcome the above hurdles, but firing the coach isn't my first thing they should look at.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
          Firing Seth Appert is the easy solution, and if you guys canned all the D1 coaches you'd like to, there might be only a hanful of coaches on the job.

From the outside looking in: You need to remember that RPI has always been a touch place to recruit blue-chippers to. First, RPI (like Clarkson and Michigan Tech) are essentially engineering schools with tough academic standards. Second, how many potential recruits stop at Clarkson first and never make a visit to RPI? Third, Clarkson's Cheel Center is a first class building, and RPI can't compete with that. RPI might want to bring in afirst class recruiter who can overcome the above hurdles, but firing the coach isn't my first thing they should look at.
          Who does the recruiting? I would not say that RPI has difficulty with recruiting talent, especially considering some of the recent talent, such as Brandon Pirri, Jerry D'Amigo, Chase Polacek, Allen York, and Jason Kasdorf. Second, HFH may be "historic" as opposed to Cheel, but take a look at the facilities next door. And if you haven't been to the Troy area in the past decade, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know about the first class training facility.

Raw talent is not the issue. The issue is how the talent is molded to better the team. RPI's play on the ice is incredibly monogamous. It's the same play every time with the same set-up guy, depending upon what line is on the ice. Is it possible for the players to suggest some offensive plays to try in practice? I'm not going to comment either way because the coach's policy remains with the team, but if you actually do video preparedness, RPI is easy to beat. Good coverage is going to happen so that alone is not a good reason to call for what is being asked. To think that it happens year after year, though, SSDD, without adjustment, that's what causes the issue. I could also go on a rant about penalties, but that's going to happen regardless of the coach, and there isn't much you can do about that. But while we're on the subject, how about that pass-pass-turnover power play? Obviously the kids are out there making the plays, but who's preparing them?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Who does the recruiting? I would not say that RPI has difficulty with recruiting talent, especially considering some of the recent talent, such as Brandon Pirri, Jerry D'Amigo, Chase Polacek, Allen York, and Jason Kasdorf. Second, HFH may be "historic" as opposed to Cheel, but take a look at the facilities next door. And if you haven't been to the Troy area in the past decade, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know about the first class training facility.

Raw talent is not the issue. The issue is how the talent is molded to better the team. RPI's play on the ice is incredibly monogamous. It's the same play every time with the same set-up guy, depending upon what line is on the ice. Is it possible for the players to suggest some offensive plays to try in practice? I'm not going to comment either way because the coach's policy remains with the team, but if you actually do video preparedness, RPI is easy to beat. Good coverage is going to happen so that alone is not a good reason to call for what is being asked. To think that it happens year after year, though, SSDD, without adjustment, that's what causes the issue. I could also go on a rant about penalties, but that's going to happen regardless of the coach, and there isn't much you can do about that. But while we're on the subject, how about that pass-pass-turnover power play? Obviously the kids are out there making the plays, but who's preparing them?
            None of the things you point out are insurmountable problems. Your conclusion that the coach must be fired is extreme, and quite frankly, laughable.
            Let's give a cheer for old Rensselaer... You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the beer!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI_2003 View Post
              None of the things you point out are insurmountable problems. Your conclusion that the coach must be fired is extreme, and quite frankly, laughable.
              He's had seven years to fix the problems. I'll give him the first few to "get his system in", but the excuses are gone now. Put up or shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by (removed in protest)
                ...[hello? hello? is anybody here? hello?]....

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

He's had seven years to fix the problems. I'll give him the first few to "get his system in", but the excuses are gone now. Put up or shut up.
                  How do you reconcile those statements with "I believe in Seth Appert"?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wasn't it you talking about "a deal is a deal and he made good on it" when we won the Mayor's Cup game a few weeks ago? Why the sudden change, and why "I believe in Seth Appert" but have a post that contradicts that claim? Do any of us think Seth Appert, in reality, really cares what any random fans on a fan forum believe about his coaching?
                    Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Quit whining and support your coach !! You sound like children.
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        Quit whining and support your coach !! You sound like children.
                        Thank you.
                        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                          Wasn't it you talking about "a deal is a deal and he made good on it" when we won the Mayor's Cup game a few weeks ago? Why the sudden change, and why "I believe in Seth Appert" but have a post that contradicts that claim? Do any of us think Seth Appert, in reality, really cares what any random fans on a fan forum believe about his coaching?
                          He still has a chance to put up. The team showed strides.

Comment

Originally posted by (removed in protest) View Post
                            [I] still have a chance to shut up. [April Fool! like that will ever happen!]

-

Comment

Can we get a coach that DOESN'T lead the team to choke at the end of the season?

Comment

Give it a rest For 5 seconds, would you?
                                Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Working...
                                X