CCHA Redeaux - Michigan @ UNO - 11-15 & 11-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCHA Redeaux - Michigan @ UNO - 11-15 & 11-16

I can't believe it took this long for somebody to start this thread. The day before the first puck drops? I took a peek in the Michigan thread and they think UNO fan has forgotten them. Not so, my weaselly friends. I'll be nice and promise right here not to bring up a certain unfortunate incident that occurred the last time we played that Coach Blais still talks about. I doubt many people realize that these games will be numbers 37 and 38, all time, between these two teams. Or, the very ugly all time record UNO has against Michigan (7-26-3) despite UNO winning 3 of the last 5?

Looking at Ticketmaster, it looks like crowds in the neighborhood of last weekend's North Dakota series in our building will be in evidence again. At least 7-9K each night or so with ticket sales on Friday night looking better than Saturday at the moment.

Now, cue up "The Lettermen", or, "The Four Lads" singing "We Will Have These Moments to Remember":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJGJe90b5w

Re: CCHA Redeaux - Michigan @ UNO - 11-15 & 11-16

No one has forgotten, it would seem:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013111...e-an-old-score

I didn't mention it, the paper did. Gee, can't imagine why, though. I mean, it's eminently fair to overturn the referees original "no goal" call on the ice if you look at it enough times? Am I wrong? I mean, what's wrong with a 10 minute plus review as long as the refs ultimately finally saw what they wanted to? Right? I can't imagine how anybody could have had a problem with that. I mean, it only took that amount of time to finally see empirical evidence that Michigan scored. I can't imagine why anybody would have a problem with the call. That's what replay is for, right?

Comment

That was then this is now. If our players dwell on that call instead of focusing on a much improved Michigan team you'll have plenty more to gripe about. Fact is that UNO even under Dean Blais is notorious for not being mentally prepared at times and for letting golden opportunities slip away.
      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
        That was then this is now. If our players dwell on that call instead of focusing on a much improved Michigan team you'll have plenty more to gripe about. Fact is that UNO even under Dean Blais is notorious for not being mentally prepared at times and for letting golden opportunities slip away.
        The whole thing is really water under the bridge as far as I am concerned. Nothing will change what happened that day. And, you're right, we need to have a focus on the bigger picture, namely, getting pucks in the net against one of he nation's top defensive units.

It is interesting that the World Herald story above is the front page headline in this morning's print copy of the paper, though.

Comment

Just another weekend with another team. No big deal.

And since, historically, this thread gets out of talking actual hockey quickly, not many Michgan fans have any want to put effort to that.

So far, Michigan is playing pretty well, decent passing, good pressure in the offensive zone, and quite good coverage in the defensive zone. The big problem is putting the puck behind the goalie. Red has reportedly altered the lines to try to generate more scoring.

In terms of who is playing well- Nagelvoort is really doing a great job standing in for the injured Racine. So well that many fans argue that he's earned the starting role over Racine. However, the coaches still say that it's Racine's net first. So who starts in net will be interesting.

The freshmen at the blue line stand out in how you don't really notice them- most of the time, D-men are noticed for messing up, and some do score. All in all, the defense are playing well, and the freshmen are adding a lot to that.

The line that WAS (not sure if they will play tonight together) the most interesting to watch the Fresmen- Compfer, Allen, and Moffat. Compher, in particular, has been making some incredible passes. The onther lines are doing well, but not exactly what one expects out of them. All the lines had seemed capable of cycling and putting a lot of pressure on the D. And while there are enough goals to win, I would not exactly call all of the shots that much pressure on the goalie. Could be that the goalies are doing a great job positioning themselves, but the opposing goalies don't appear to work hard in stopping us.

Anyway, hope the changes make the offense play better.

Comment

Off to the arena for the game.

UNO has a depiction of the billboards they bought around town for tonight's game on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7731348&type=1

Interesting comment from Coach Blais, too: "If you can skate, you can play with anybody. And, we can skate".

We'll see if he is right. We've been awfully error and penalty-prone so far this season.

Should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

And since, historically, this thread gets out of talking actual hockey quickly, not many Michgan fans have any want to put effort to that.

So far, Michigan is playing pretty well, decent passing, good pressure in the offensive zone, and quite good coverage in the defensive zone. The big problem is putting the puck behind the goalie. Red has reportedly altered the lines to try to generate more scoring.

In terms of who is playing well- Nagelvoort is really doing a great job standing in for the injured Racine. So well that many fans argue that he's earned the starting role over Racine. However, the coaches still say that it's Racine's net first. So who starts in net will be interesting.

How old is Red B now? Has he said anything about retirement? Just wanted to compare to Dean Blais.

Comment

How old is Red B now? Has he said anything about retirement? Just wanted to compare to Dean Blais.

Comment

He's well into his 70's, and has not made any mention of retiring. Some have speculated that the current team has put an extra spring in his step.

Comment

I like that the commentators mentioned this match up is "viewed as a rivalry for Omaha"

Glad to have the game televised. Go Blue!
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

He's well into his 70's, and has not made any mention of retiring. Some have speculated that the current team has put an extra spring in his step.
                      Thanks for the reply. Not many young people have the work ethic that his generation has. Too many fat kids playing xbox sitting on the couch.

Comment

Last edited by MAVFANJEFF; 11-15-2013, 11:07 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Not many young people have the work ethic that his generation has. Too many fat kids playing xbox sitting on the couch.
                          He's pretty amazing- and for *most* of the team, his mantra of school being that important does sink in. Even to the point that guys who leave early finish.

BTW, when you post a reply, and the page then takes you to the advanced reply page, don't do anything there- just go to the board home page. There's some glitch in the system that directs the forum to do that. I was worried that I was using IE causing the problem, then noticed that it was happening on the mobile page on my phone, too. Not sure why it's taking so long to fix- that's been going on for some time.

Comment

I don't know why UNO was picked to finish last in the NCHC. Much better team than advertised... although the goaltending is not as strong as teams in the past. Also, I know this weekend there was a big defenseman out of the lineup.

I'm sure they'll be in the hunt for an at-large if they can string together some quality wins. Tough schedule may help or hurt- with Miami and UNH coming up. Good start in the league.

Comment

Working...
                            X