WCHA: Let's talk Hockey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA: Let's talk Hockey!

Whereas the "other" WCHA thread only seems interested in: griping about travel, griping about people griping about travel, new-realignment rumors and the price/quality/value of media coverage...I'm starting a new thread to focus on...guess what...HOCKEY!
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Re: WCHA: Let's talk Hockey!

I know it is awfully early, but this weekend's BG-Ferris series is looking HUGE. A sweep either way could really put the 'sweeper' firmly in the driver's seat, and rock the 'sweepee' back on their heels.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
      I know it is awfully early, but this weekend's BG-Ferris series is looking HUGE. A sweep either way could really put the 'sweeper' firmly in the driver's seat, and rock the 'sweepee' back on their heels.
      I see what you're saying but I think it's way to early to say that when 2 of the teams have only played 2 games and play each other this weekend. If either of them sweeps the other, they will be right where BGSU is right now with games in hand on FSU or BGSU. That and the fact that 2 of those wins were against UAH, I wouldn't put much in the "driver seat" its going to be hard to beat most of the WCHA in their home building, winning this conference might just come down to the schedule balance of who gets to play UAH 4 times (sorry to say it GFM).

Since I mentioned the schedule, seems kind of odd that one of the teams that started WCHA earlier than 6 of the teams has only played 2 games while others have played 6?
      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 11-12-2013, 04:15 PM.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
        Not so fast. I'm not trying to be unkind to a couple of our conference brethren, but a lot of the conference standings all year will hinge on "Have you played Huntsville or UAA lately?" There have been 10 series so far in the WCHA. In those 10, there were 5 sweeps, 4 of which involved UAH, UAA, or both. There have been 5 series that involved neither team. 4 of those were splits, the one exception being BSU-FSU, and that was FSU at home. The point being, I think we're going to need to see a lot more matchups before anybody looks like a "driver's seat" team.

Comment

Note to self: Shirtless Guy is a quicker thinker than me, by approximately 11 minutes.

Comment

I like what I have seen out of BSU's underclassmen! This is going to be a fun ride, league wide!
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              Not so fast. I'm not trying to be unkind to a couple of our conference brethren, but a lot of the conference standings all year will hinge on "Have you played Huntsville or UAA lately?" There have been 10 series so far in the WCHA. In those 10, there were 5 sweeps, 4 of which involved UAH, UAA, or both. There have been 5 series that involved neither team. 4 of those were splits, the one exception being BSU-FSU, and that was FSU at home. The point being, I think we're going to need to see a lot more matchups before anybody looks like a "driver's seat" team.
              I think UAA isn't as bad you think they are. As last weekend showed, there's a big gap between UAA and Huntsville.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

We don't need 2 threads. These topics belong in the existing WCHA thread.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Wow! not sure who died and appointed you king???
                  This thread in a few posts has talked more hockey than the other one has in several hundred.
                  Let's keep the talk on this thread about hockey...............
                  Yeah I also think it's a bit early to say any team is in the catbird seat.
                  Every matchup every weekend has 4 points for the taking.
                  I also like that some folks think UAA is going to be a sure 4 point weekend.
                  Overconfidence has been the undoing of more than one team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    I think UAA isn't as bad you think they are. As last weekend showed, there's a big gap between UAA and Huntsville.
                    I don't doubt that they're better than last year. But there's a big gap between "better than last year" and "will finish in the top half of the conference."

Comment

Carpenter is back for BG this weekend, so that should be fun.
                      Bring Back the Glory...

1984 NCAA National Champions
                      2 members of the "Miracle on Ice" 1980 Hockey Team

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Nobody dragged you here against your will.
                        If the 'other' thread EVER spent ANY time talking about Anything even REMOTELY related to hockey, we'd have stayed there.

Comment

I agree that its early, but I stand by my thought that this week's Ferris-BG series is huge.

Most everybody expected Ferris to be a contender, and they have not yet done anything to dispel that idea. Most pre-season predictions had BG 'in the mix' for home ice, but I don't think anybody (outside of BG) thought they'd be more than that.

Many current WCHA fans might not realize the extent of the history these programs have from their CCHA days. These teams really don't like each other.

I wish I could be there in person

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            I don't doubt that they're better than last year. But there's a big gap between "better than last year" and "will finish in the top half of the conference."
                            Not as much as you think. I think some people are selling UAA short. As far as I can see the only gap right now is between Huntsville and the rest, everything else in this conference is up in the air.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Don't worry, if y'all had been nice and not brought up the gap, I would have brought up the gap. 1.0 G/GM won't cut it.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                              X