Ohio State vs Minnsota-Duluth 11/15 - 11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Minnsota-Duluth 11/15 - 11/16

This series features both games being played in the Schottenstein Center, always a treat for the players and fans. Ohio State will come in licking some wounds after only getting one point in last weekend's series against Bemidji State. By now everyone has heard about the melee in Friday's game which left both teams with very short benches for Saturday's game. Ohio State is at a crossroads here, honestly, and I expect them to bring their best effort this weekend. They have to get points this weekend. That will not be easy against a great program like UMD's. Bulldog fans, tell us about your season and what we can expect this weekend.

Re: Ohio State vs Minnsota-Duluth 11/15 - 11/16

Saturday's game was physically demanding for the Buckeyes on the ice. But for those stuck in the South Bleachers -- in the Player Purgatory Pen -- it had to be very difficult emotionally. Gotta believe those 10 players are going to be highly motivated this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Saturday's game was physically demanding for the Buckeyes on the ice. But for those stuck in the South Bleachers -- in the Player Purgatory Pen -- it had to be very difficult emotionally. Gotta believe those 10 players are going to be highly motivated this coming weekend.
      I've been thinking the same thing. This is a very important weekend for our team this season. I don't want to start saying "must win" but we have to find a way to get points this weekend. As you said, I think we will see some highly-motivated
      girls out there this weekend! That game Saturday may have been one of the best atmospheres I have seen at an OSU women's hockey game in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        ...That game Saturday may have been one of the best atmospheres I have seen at an OSU women's hockey game in a while.
        Of course 10 of the superfans from last Saturday will be on the ice next weekend.

But to be serious: There was a lot of courage displayed in the Saturday Bemidji game, and the crowd did appreciate it.

Comment

Of course 10 of the superfans from last Saturday will be on the ice next weekend.

But to be serious: There was a lot of courage displayed in the Saturday Bemidji game, and the crowd did appreciate it.
          I agree on the courage part. Those girls had to be exhausted when that was over!

Comment

Good one.

(I'll add that I was surprised when I saw the video...it looked more like a love-in than the UND-MSU rhubarb of a few years ago on steroids like I was sort of expecting to see after seeing all the penalties in the box score. Regardless, it's all to the good...meaning a lot lower probability of someone sustaining a serious injury).
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Bulldog fans, tell us about your season and what we can expect this weekend.
              I imagine Vallila will be back in the lineup after participating in the Four Nations Cup, although Gillanders is out with an injury. And hopefully Lacquette will be back after being cut from the Team Canada roster as J-Rock was (cut and back) at this time in 2009. They've both been missed.

Kind of off topic...Bonhomme got cut from Team Canada as well...I was quite surprised.

The 'Dogs have a lot more scoring punch this year than last but it has not been consistent...witness no longer being ranked.

And an odd time for the Friday game.

(Disappointed after reading a post by DC78 indicating that the Four Nations Cup was broadcast on the internet, at least as far as I understood, since I was not aware, but glad to hear it's getting some air time).
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-13-2013, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Bonus link...

Some valiant comments by Bonhomme...
                http://globalnews.ca/news/963600/tes...-olympic-team/
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  (I'll add that I was surprised when I saw the video...it looked more like a love-in than the UND-MSU rhubarb of a few years ago on steroids like I was sort of expecting to see after seeing all the penalties in the box score.
                  I wonder if it was dealt with so severely due to people leaving in the bench. I realize that they were leaving the bench because the game was over and they were going to skate toward their goalie, but the official stance may be that if you're coming on the ice to skate to your goalie, then do that, don't get involved with the opponent for any reason that isn't a handshake.

And hopefully Lacquette will be back after being cut from the Team Canada roster as J-Rock was (cut and back) at this time in 2009.
                  Larocque came back for the start of the new semester in January. If Lacquette has been taking classes the whole time, then she can come back earlier, if not, she'd also presumably have to wait for the second semester.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Larocque came back for the start of the new semester in January. If Lacquette has been taking classes the whole time, then she can come back earlier, if not, she'd also presumably have to wait for the second semester.
                    Yes, I inadvertently conflated two events. I recall Larocque stating in an interview at the time that she immediately went back to Duluth after being cut from Team Canada although she didn't start playing for UMD again until the new year.

Thanks.

Comment

Bonus link...

Some valiant comments by Bonhomme...
                      http://globalnews.ca/news/963600/tes...-olympic-team/
                      Well geez. The Olympics will be a little less fun without Tessa in them. Following her career, both here at OSU and for Team Canada, has been privilege.

Tessa, should this post come to your attention, thanks for everything. Never forget you'll always be a Buckeye!

Blackbeard, thanks for the link. It does seem that Tessa handled the news very professionally, and I commend her for that.

Comment

I imagine Vallila will be back in the lineup after participating in the Four Nations Cup, although Gillanders is out with an injury. And hopefully Lacquette will be back after being cut from the Team Canada roster as J-Rock was (cut and back) at this time in 2009. They've both been missed.

Kind of off topic...Bonhomme got cut from Team Canada as well...I was quite surprised.

The 'Dogs have a lot more scoring punch this year than last but it has not been consistent...witness no longer being ranked.

And an odd time for the Friday game.

(Disappointed after reading a post by DC78 indicating that the Four Nations Cup was broadcast on the internet, at least as far as I understood, since I was not aware, but glad to hear it's getting some air time).
                        I was definitely surprised when I read about Tessa being cut from the Olympic team. She handled it with class and dignity. Thanks for the link on that.

One other note, the reason for the 3:00 start time on Friday is this weekend's games are being played at the Schottenstein Center (women's/men's double-header). If you come to the women's game, you get a free ticket to the men's game later.

Comment

If you come to the women's game, you get a free ticket to the men's game later.
                          First time I've ever heard of a "Buy one women's, get one men's free" promotion! Might be something they should try in Madison...
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Nice looking rink...good lighting and decent video quality...and the play by play guy is into the game.

Good chances both ways...looks like the week off might have energized the 'Dogs.

Fairly quick game. Hopefully, OSU doesn't fold emotionally being down 3-0 after one and the 'Dogs don't decide to coast.

The score is not indicative of the play.

SOG: OSU 12 - UMD 8.

Comment

No folding on the menu for OSU...just the opposite. UMD 3 - OSU 2 after two.

Tons of pressure by OSU throughout most of the second resulting in 2 quick goals in the first five minutes of the second period.

'Dogs in the last two minutes of the period look to have taken the edge off of that huge momentum that the Buck's owned for the first 18 minutes of the period.

Very entertaining game.

Comment

Working...
                              X