Scouting National U18 Tourney in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting National U18 Tourney in Canada

Just a heads up, but unfortunately way too many great u18 Canadian players aren't here. What's up Canada? Team Ontario is the worst offender - actually just team OWHA. So many talented Ontario girls playing at Prep/Acadamy schools in the West and elsewhere are missing. National sanctioned tourney but no access to participate? Hmm ... Fortunately I'm in the West and can still drive a few hours to see a few of them play while I'm here.

Re: Scouting National U18 Tourney in Canada

Good Hockey overall!

Really liked big defensewomen Eastwood on Ontario blue... and a few forwards - mainly on Ontario red and Alberta. Pretty big mix of talent on each provincial team. Definately not the best of the best in Canada from some of the showcases I've seen. Looking forward to taking in World Sport School Challenge in 2014. Eastwood and Davis from Banff (sunday drive from Calgary) would be future frozen four d tandem material for any team. Banff also had a Slovakian forward that was dynamite (Lucova). She may have already committed to St. Cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by valleyboy View Post
      way too many great u18 Canadian players aren't here. Team Ontario is the worst offender.
      Not sure where you are coming from. Ontario is the only province that sends two teams to this event and they won gold and silver. Must be doing something right!!.

Not that many top end players from Ontario play elsewhere. It is the exception rather than the rule. The Ontario based PWHL league is top notch. No real reason for most Ontario players to seek opportunities elsewhere, unless they are from very remote rural areas like way up north.

Comment

Yep. Good hockey for sure. Lots of politics re: selection and many kids playing out of province who are more than capable. Still some great kids there for sure.

Comment

'Lekker' as far as hockey goes OnMAA. Just too much politics and focus on those types of teams. Could have same two teams with 75% of the players with different last names in Ontario. The gap is closing in girls hockey. Many great players e.g. Ohio vs. Aeros in preseason. Those elite "under" type teams are a good tool for evaluating how players play vs. other good players but not a great tool for finding the best players out there... too many fantastic players are left off of these teams or not even invited to try out. Other: Good article in the Globe and Mail web article on Money bias finding its way into hockey in Canada.

Comment

Well, having watched these kids for the last few years playing against my daughter's team (and in some cases on her showcase teams), it was fun to catch a game or two (for FREE) on the internet.

The problem with provincial and National teams is you only have 20 spots and some kids - some very good kids - are going to be cut. Same thing happens with Team USA and Team Canada. Is there politics - of course there is some, but the bottom line is that every kid who makes it is deserving, but unfortunately there are a lot of deserving kids who don't. If a kid "deserved" to be there, then they likely will be playing D1 on a full ride and have plenty of hockey ahead of them.

Comment

'Lekker' as far as hockey goes OnMAA.
              You may want to invest in a better translator.

Comment

My translators are probably relaxing with a nightcap after a day of golf in Florida right about now - thought it was a more interesting descriptive word than 'goed'. Admittedly my dutch/friesian needs much work. My vocab is limited, I usually use 'lekker' to compliment boiled pears after a home cooked meal. Compliments are pretty cheap. cheers

Comment

My translators are probably relaxing with a nightcap after a day of golf in Florida right about now - thought it was a more interesting descriptive word than 'goed'. Admittedly my dutch/friesian needs much work. My vocab is limited, I usually use 'lekker' to compliment boiled pears after a home cooked meal. Compliments are pretty cheap. cheers
                  You are getting there...Proper Context verbs for these nouns are:
                  Goed gedaan
                  Graag gedaan
                  Lekker eten.

For what it is worth.....I have no hope of following the language in the dialogue between Paps and yourself..... BTW...Friesian and Dutch very different languages, and I really don't speak either properly as I speak the third language.
                  Last edited by OnMAA; 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X