Ohio State @ Wisconsin 11/2 - 11/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Wisconsin 11/2 - 11/3

The Buckeyes had a bye week this past weekend, but this weekend, it's back on the ice, and it does not get any easier as the Bucks travel to Madison to take on Wisconsin. The Badgers are a perennial top five program in the country and this year is certainly no exception. It will be a challenge to pick up points this weekend, but I believe our team will be up to it. We were able to knock off North Dakota in Grand Forks a couple weekends ago. Mrs 86 and I are actually making the road trip and we cannot wait. Wisconsin fans, please let us know what we can expect out of your team or what we need to watch for. Also, I could honestly use some tips on parking as I see the men have a home game on Saturday also. This will be our first trip to Madison so any info would be appreciated!

Re: Ohio State @ Wisconsin 11/2 - 11/3

Well, normally there is free parking for Women's hockey games directly east of the Kohl Center. Not sure if that will be the case this weekend with a 2:00 women's game and 7 pm men's. So if the free parking is closed, use the lake street city parking ramp which is typically $5 on weekends and special events. Lake street is the street you would take to get to the free parking on one end and city parking ramp on the other. Good and quick place to eat is Ian's pizza by the slice on Lake street as well. As far as a sit down restaurant Dotty Dumplings and Nitty Gritty are both on Lake street and very close to the Kohl Center/LaBahn Arena.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

The lot across from the kohl center has free parking during womens games, even if the men play later. Its never been a problem in the past. It is a pay lot for the mens game though, so I wouldn't leave it there and go out for dinner after or something like that.

Comment

Thank you so much for the tips! We've been looking forward to this trip for a while now! Cannot wait to check out LaBahn Arena, then be envious, of course, that we don't have a facility like that!
        Last edited by osualum86; 10-29-2013, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Two Wisconsin Favorites of mine:

1. If you're driving through Milwaukee, stop for custard at Kopp's. www.kopps.com. The Brookfield location (On Bluemound not far off I-94) should be on your way regardless of how you drive through the city.

2. Sprecher's Restaurant and Pub has a creative menu, beverages from its microbrew and mid-level pricing. www.sprecherspub.com. I've been to the one in Wisconsin Dells, but there's now a Madison location on the beltway. (US14/US18)

Options close to the arena may well take priority. But as visitor I've found that these two places offer both quality and value; and both are local to WI. Selling points, in one tourist's humble opinion.
          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-30-2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

The men's team is at home against LSSU; you could go and cheer for the Badgers! (Fellow Big Ten member, and the opponent is an enemy of the Wolverines! You're allowed to cheer for UW!)

WiscTJK mentioned Dotty Dumpling's Dowry, an outstanding place to get a burger (it's a sit-down-and-order kind of place). There's also Ian's, with a location on Frances Street and on State Street (the Franes St. location is much closer). You could also just get there early, park, and then wander down State Street. One of my favorite spots on State Street is Mia Za's - you can customize any pasta, pizza, salad, or panini dish on a sheet of paper and they make it. If you eat at Memorial Union or Union South, they've got amazing fries (Der Rathskeller and The Sett, respectively). Seeing as it will be lunch time before the games, you can also find something to eat at the food carts on Library Mall (essentially the 700 block of State Street, in front of the University Bookstore).

Comment

Another travel stop -- just for the sake of saying you've been there -- is the world's largest Culver's in Newville, WI. It's at Exit 163 (WI Hwy 59) on I-90/I-39, about 30 miles south of Madison, on the east side of the freeway. My parents and I have stopped their a couple of times recently while traveling. (Note that the highway signs list Edgerton and Milton as the towns for that exit, rather than Newville.)
              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Wow, thank you for the tips everyone! I am going to have to print all this stuff off so I don't forget anything!

Oh, and WiscDC, that thought definitely crossed my mind regarding just sticking around and checking out the men's game.
                Last edited by osualum86; 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Wow, thank you for the tips everyone! I am going to have to print all this stuff off so I don't forget anything!

Oh, and WiscDC, that thought definitely crossed my mind regarding just sticking around and checking out the men's game.
                  Whether it's fortunate or unfortunate there will be plenty of good seats available in the 100 and 200 levels.

Comment

As long as we're throwing out food recommendations, I'll add in another nomination for Ian's. Its just 2 blocks up Francis from the Free Kohl Center lot (Next to the also mentioned Dottys), so it's easy to park before the game, grab a slice, and then walk back to LaBahn.

For something more substantial, The Old Fashioned is my go to place to take out of town guest. It's right on the Capitol Square and is a modern take on the old school Wisconsin Supper Club.

And since someone mentioned Culvers, after the game you'll find plenty of people who go right from the game to the Culvers on Todd Drive at the Beltline, enjoying Free Custard after the Badgers score 5 goals (I think they also have $1 Hot Fudge Sundaes this week).

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      The men's team is at home against LSSU; you could go and cheer for the Badgers! (Fellow Big Ten member, and the opponent is an enemy of the Wolverines! You're allowed to cheer for UW!)
                      I did this once, although the venue was the Dane, not Kohl Center. The visiting team was Alaska-Anchorage. Gently cheering for the Badgers was the order of the day, based on the "Fellow BT Member" ethic.

Naturally, I wore Buckeye gear. That led to an interesting encounter while I was walking up an aisle. One of locals caught my attention and said "Hey, you're not allowed to wear that in here." To which I replied "Whadda ya mean? It's red, isn't it?" Making an executive decision not to contest the difference between Scarlet and Cardinal, he waived me through. The guy basically assumed the role of a customs agent, taking the attitude that he knew full well I was I smuggling, but he was feeling charitable that day. The relevant point being, of course, that I found the locals to be playful, not hostile. While intense border battles are great, there is something to be said for the less intense rivalries, especially when on the road...

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      Another travel stop -- just for the sake of saying you've been there -- is the world's largest Culver's in Newville, WI. It's at Exit 163 (WI Hwy 59) on I-90/I-39, about 30 miles south of Madison, on the east side of the freeway. My parents and I have stopped their a couple of times recently while traveling. (Note that the highway signs list Edgerton and Milton as the towns for that exit, rather than Newville.)
                      Good tip. I'll check that out next time I'm passing through there.

We do have Culver's here in Columbus -- technically Powell -- and I like it a lot. There's no question that Culver's has a more extensive menu than Kopps. But I still say that for the custard itself, Kopps > Culver's, if only by a little.

Note to '86: The Culver's location Crazy Dave recommends is between Rockford, IL and Madison. Milwaukee is not on the route; you'd use I-94 for Milwaukee. So if you're going to make a custard stop, you'll have to decide which place in advance.

Comment

Thanks again everyone! Hoping for two good games (with some points for OSU) and no injuries for anyone! Gonna be tough to score goals on Rigsby. We will definitely have to work hard and earn those. Seems like she has been there forever!

Comment

According to an e-mail received earlier today by the UW athletic department, it looks like Lot 91 (just east of Kohl) will be charging $5 for the Sunday game. Not that I'm 100% sure it will be free, but I would recommend trying the office building parking lots just south of the railroad tracks/LaBahn.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                            According to an e-mail received earlier today by the UW athletic department, it looks like Lot 91 (just east of Kohl) will be charging $5 for the Sunday game. Not that I'm 100% sure it will be free, but I would recommend trying the office building parking lots just south of the railroad tracks/LaBahn.
                            That's where I've been parking, basically right next to he underpass. I am concerned about parking there for today's game with the men playing tonight, but we'll see what happens.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It would be rather shocking to me to see them charge for lot 91 (the "free" lot for women's games across from the Kohl) on a Sunday afternoon. I think the only time I've ever seen them charge for that lot was during fill the bowl. Even during the sold out LaBahn games at the end of last year they weren't charging there.

Comment

Working...
                              X