UMaine Black Bears 2013-14 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMaine Black Bears 2013-14 season

New thread related to the team. Please post information related to the NCAA thing under the Maine/NCAA thread.

Re: UMaine Black Bears 2013-14 season

Tough start, with three of first four opponents ranked in the top 10.

It's good to see the freshman contributing. Here's a breakdown of points (G, A, Pts) for NCAA games thus far:
    Freshman 4, 1, 5
    Team 6, 6, 12

For all games (NCAA + exhibition games versus Boston Blades):
    Freshmen 7, 4, 11
    Team 10, 12, 22

Strong second period last night. They need to put 3 periods together.

Comment

This Mercyhurst fan was impressed with the heart of the Black Bears. They went down swinging. I kept thinking during the two games, "Hey Maine, just go away." but they just stuck around. Good luck the rest of the way.
      "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Yes. Better than their record indicates, playing 5 / 6 games against top-10 teams so far. They can put together a good period or two. They need to put together 3 good periods. Upper classmen need to quit taking stupid penalties, and start scoring goals.

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
          Yes. Better than their record indicates, playing 5 / 6 games against top-10 teams so far. They can put together a good period or two. They need to put together 3 good periods. Upper classmen need to quit taking stupid penalties, and start scoring goals.
          I agree, penalties have hurt Maine a lot the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by dontblink View Post
            I agree, penalties have hurt Maine a lot the last two years.
            Penalties have always hurt Maine. They lead Hockey East ever year in total penalty minutes and I'm sure they are in the top 5 in all of DI. The real problem is the penalties are often times not a result of good hard play just undisciplined. They are taken without regard to the game situation and often late in the game. Last season 201 penalties in 33 games.
            Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - Vince Lombardi Thats often when penalties are taken, when your tired. Women's hockey is not getting the cream of the crop when it comes to officiating. I imagine it would be hard being a D1 women's player on any team trying to find where the line is of penalty and no penalty.

Comment

Nice tie versus Northeastern Friday night. Shots nearly even (28-26 edge to NU). They played as solidly as they have all year for three periods. It's noteworthy that they had solid scoring chances in the 3rd period...perhaps their only game this year where they haven't been seriously outplayed in the third.

Sunday's tie versus UConn was quite a different story. Maine outshot UConn 30-11 in first two periods. Then held a 4-1 lead with 5 minutes left in regulation, before UConn stormed back to tie it. Very win-able game for UMaine.

Taking bad penalties is killing them, although I'd add that the officials really gave UConn a gift that set up the late 5-on-3. The penalties may have been legit, but there were certainly opportunities to call a few more trips, hooks, & holds on both teams where the officials turned a blind eye.

Comment

......... The penalties may have been legit, but there were certainly opportunities to call a few more trips, hooks, & holds on both teams where the officials turned a blind eye.
                  You bring up a good point. I see these very often in women's hockey without a penalty being assessed. In the men's game, these penalties are usually enforced. This Maine team seems to be rallying around each other in spite of losing their head coach. What really will hurt the team's future development (recruiting), is not having a head coach until after the season. Really unfortunate for both the team and University.

Comment

Looking at the season long stats or the past few games, doesn't seem Maine is any cheaper than its opponents or that the refs have it out for them. Personally, I hate refs averaging more than a 10 PIMs per team per game. Wrecks the flow.

Comment

Everything happens for a reason. How these kids react and deal with adversary is the the gift that their former coach has left them. She obviously believed in each and every one of them or they wouldn't be there in the first place. My guess is there is nothing unfortunate about what happened - merely opportunity for this group of kids/young adults to have a lasting impact on their chosen place of higher learning. How they move forward as a team is truly up to them. They are the recruiters, the program, the future! My best guess is that they will impress this year. It has the potential to be a wonderful story of determination and confidence. Good luck girls!

Comment

Maine still looking for their first win of the season after being swept by a very good BU team. Not having a win yet has to be challenging their confidence at this point. It appeared Maine played better in the second game but still couldn't muster a win. Once they get their first win, I think that just might generate some momentum for them.

Comment

Agree, Runsub5. Much better game 2. 3-2 until fairly late in the game. PP is a definite weakness for Maine. A little slow on puck movement, and a lot of shots directly into shot blockers, which is killing their PP chances. That's been a consistent weakness all season so far.

Comment

Agree, Runsub5. Much better game 2. 3-2 until fairly late in the game. PP is a definite weakness for Maine. A little slow on puck movement, and a lot of shots directly into shot blockers, which is killing their PP chances. That's been a consistent weakness all season so far.
                            Thanks for the info on Maine's play. I think Maine is in a position to get their first win this weekend. They will face a struggling Vermont team at Alfond Arena for two games. I'll be there for those two.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              Thanks for the info on Maine's play. I think Maine is in a position to get their first win this weekend. They will face a struggling Vermont team at Alfond Arena for two games. I'll be there for those two.
                              Yes, a win or two this weekend would be nice. All 7 Maine losses so far came against top-10 teams. Tied their other three games.

Comment

Working...
                              X