Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota hosts Boston College, 10/25 & 10/27

Friday game is on the BTN and the Sunday game is at 1pm on FSN

Both teams are fast and they both have great uniforms colors.

"The alliance"

Go
    Last edited by SanTropez; 10-20-2013, 02:00 PM.

Re: Minnesota hosts Boston College, 10/25 & 10/27

Should be a much better rematch than last year with players out like JG out. BC has much more speed and depth this year to match the Gophers this coming series. I'm impressed by the depth on D and on the lines.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Said this in the Gophers thread and thought it worth repeating here. It will be interesting to see how the Gophers play against a team that (from everything I hear) will be able to match the speed and skill of this Gopher squad. Both teams are really fast and really skilled, and both squads thrive off of a quick transition game. My guess is turnovers will play a big factor in the outcome of these games. As will special teams. Gophers haven't looked as sharp as I would like on either their PP or PK yet, which is somewhat expected with so much youth in the lineup. One area I think the Gophers have a distinct advantage is in net. Not that Demko or Billet (sp?) aren't outstanding goaltenders, but because they don't have the experience at this level that Wilcox has and they are playing on the road.

Get ready for some race track hockey. This weekend (win or lose) is going to be a blast to watch!
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

How about a BC fan gives strength and weaknesses run down? How does Ian M look, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          How about a BC fan gives strength and weaknesses run down? How does Ian M look, for example.
          Ian McCoshen is solid and gives BC more offensive with his goal scoring potential so far. I have never seen so much depth and skill on D that even Doherty has to sit out. IMO, Doherty should be playing as he is a natural D whereas Linell is a converted forward.

The other D are senior MacLeod, Matheson, Santini, Savage, along with Linell. Sometimes Matheson tries to get cute and he makes a mistake now and then.

Like UM, BC is one of the youngest teams in the division I and I see a lot potential and by March, York usually has them in sync and greased.

Watching the the UM/BSU game the Gophers have some solid freshmen forwards too like Cammarata. This will be an early test and valuable experience for both teams.

I think eventually Demko will win the job but for now they're rotating.

The forwards, you have vets Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau, Hayes, Quinn Smith and Patrick Brown. BC along with depth has much more speed and size to protect JG from being ganged up on.

The new BC forwards : Gilmour, Calnan, Fitzgerald, M. Gaudreau, and Austin Cangelosi had a big weekend. Richardson is small and fast but was sitting this weekend with all that depth.

Right now inexperience is there but the talent is there to overcome it as indicated in 2 games with RPI and Wisconsin.

I was quite surprised #2 Wisconsin was blown out by not only BC but by rival BU too.
          Last edited by BCeagle; 10-20-2013, 04:19 PM.
          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

I believe McCoshen already has 2 goals in 3 games and they were against Michigan and UW, so not exactly the weak sisters of D-1. Big difference this year vs last is that BC has its full compliment of players and have basically replaced the 2 or 3 non-scholarship freshmen D-men you saw last year with studs like McCoshen and Santini. Gaudreau, Hayes and Arnold are the three returning forwards that can really score, while the others are more grinder/role player types. BC has 4 talented freshmen in the lineup at Forward, Cangelosi, Fitzgerald, Calnan and Gilmour all of whom come in with juniors experience and all of whom are already 19, so they are a bit more prepared for D-1 than some of our more recent freshmen recruits. Talent wise, BC is stacked, but many of the players do lack D-1 experience and they obviously did not play well in front of a hostile Michigan crowd, though that could have been first game jitters. No clear cut goalie as of yet, though both look pretty good, but do lack experience.

Comment

A discussion on the Gopher boards has been the question of whether existing returners and frosh can make up for the departure of some serious firepower from what was a near championship caliber team last year... NHLers Bjugstad, Haula and Schmidt. Its looking like a possibility of a yes. The rest of the team while being gutted is formulated by serious talent (Warning, Rau, Marshall, Reilly) which have had some superb mentors. Freshmen of Fasching, Kloos and Cammarata are way above typical freshman output. This shouldn't be too much of surprise as they were largely 'lights out' scorers coming in.

That said, even their toughest test against UNH...was a single night at home against a team that couldn't hold off Michigan at home either. The true tests are on their way. This weekend is the first.
              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Gophers will sweep.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Gophers will sweep.
                  So BC can stay home?
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                    So BC can stay home?
                    If you'd like to save the time and hassle of traveling, sure.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I predicted a BC sweep before the season, but that's before I saw how fast this Gopher team gelled. I'm predicting a split. BC wins on Friday and the Gophers on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        I predicted a BC sweep before the season, but that's before I saw how fast this Gopher team gelled. I'm predicting a split. BC wins on Friday and the Gophers on Sunday.
                        I almost never do predictions, but I'll go out on a limb and say the Gophs keep it closer than the BADgers did.

Comment

I almost never do predictions, but I'll go out on a limb and say the Gophs keep it closer than the BADgers did.
                          I hope so!

Comment

Hmmm...there seems to be a difference of opinion. From the BC thread:

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                            Of course, it doesn't really matter if you know what they (BC) want to do, because BC will just do it anyway and win.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Hmmm...there seems to be a difference of opinion. From the BC thread:
                              Brent, looks like you have some Arrogance competition.......

Comment

Working...
                              X