• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014: Ready to Quinn

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
    Kurker has 4 penalties in 7 games.
    Who invited you and your facts?
    The bigger issue is I can remember 3 of his penalties, 2 were deep in the attacking zone and one was at the attacking blue line. Depending on where the 4th one occured he may be averaging 150+ ft from his own net on penalties this year.

I think he could be a solid third line player and stay 4 years, not that STL would be happy with that college career.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
      BU just lacks any depth at forward. Kelley should have been playing up. Duane is painfully slow. but his positioning is very good, he hustles and he's got decent hands.
      It wasn't that long ago when we could roll four lines. Not only would the fourth line punish teams physically, they could also produce (i.e., McCarthy, McGuirk and Weston). More recently, the fourth line would play for two periods and the bench would be shortened in the third period. Last Friday, DQ had to take fourth line out of the game in the first period after BC's second goal. They were so overmatched he couldn't use them as a unit until the game got out of hand.

It is a transition year. The effort is there but there is simply not enough talent.

Agree with Terrance on Lane. He looked quick on Friday and is creating some opportunities for himself. Completely disagree on Kurker. Until he shows effort in both ends and stays out of the penalty box, he's going to end up sitting.

Duane is a presence in front of the net on the power play, but he is painfully slow. He's a smart player, has good hands and can hopefully pick up two steps between freshman and sophomore years.

Here's hoping the concession team at Agganis will figure out by December how to work the math so that the final price of items ends in increments of $.25.

Comment

A friend of mine has tix for Red Hot Hockey @ MSG, 2 tickets, center ice, sec 107, row 4, seats 17-18 (BU vs Cornell) Sat nov 30th.

Call Jim @ 781-248-4143 if interested.
        When you're alma mater is 48-193-18 (2000-2012) since you left there... can you blame me for rooting for BU?

Comment

BU seems to be playing with a fairly weak 2nd type line that's masquerading as a first line, as well as a 3rd type line, a 4th type line and a walk-on type line. Your basically completely missing a talented first type line. I know there's some talent arriving in 2015, but this may be a 2-3 year slide if the current players don't start improving quickly .

Comment

Rodrigues and hohmann seemed like they were developing into pretty good players. O'regan is good, just don't see much after that. How have those three guys been? They need to lead the way a la gaudreau, hayes, arnold. Not comparing them, just saying they share the same role on each team.

Comment

Hohmann and Rodrigues have combined for 3 goals and O'Regan has 3, so their big three have combined for a total of 6 goals. In the same amount of games, BC's big three have combined for 17 goals. That's pretty much BU's story in a nutshell...

The other problem is that they have no Freshmen forwards even close to Cangelosi or Fitz..
              Last edited by carltonbarrett; 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett

The other problem is that they have no Freshmen forwards even close to Cangelosi or Fitz..
                Balligeron.

But your overall theory is correct. Depth at forward is our problem right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Balligeron.

Had that problem last year, only got compounded by injuries & suspensions. It's early but crazy what 1 class can do.

Comment

Hate to admit it but BU didn't belong in the same ice as BC. The gap in talent is disturbing. I understand these aren't Quinn's recruits so I'm hopeful he's going to get in better players next year. I don't think its a matter of BU not trying. It was a matter of BU being too far behind BC's best game. In fact, they aren't even able to catch a bus back to BC's best game.

I'd also like to see O'Regan be more of a difference maker. Gaudreau was all over the place making plays. O'Regan not so much and he needs to bring his best against the best. Also did we dress any freshmen because they were nowhere to be found? I'm seeing little in the way of talent out of any of them and we can't afford yet another lost class.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Former BU recruit Robert Polesello has left Vermont for major junior.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...h-kingston-ohl
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Hate to admit it but BU didn't belong in the same ice as BC. The gap in talent is disturbing. I understand these aren't Quinn's recruits so I'm hopeful he's going to get in better players next year. I don't think its a matter of BU not trying. It was a matter of BU being too far behind BC's best game. In fact, they aren't even able to catch a bus back to BC's best game.

I'd also like to see O'Regan be more of a difference maker. Gaudreau was all over the place making plays. O'Regan not so much and he needs to bring his best against the best. Also did we dress any freshmen because they were nowhere to be found? I'm seeing little in the way of talent out of any of them and we can't afford yet another lost class.
                        What is the feeling of the 2 big defensemen Somerby and Carrabino ? I just happen to notice them on the roster and their size.
                        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                          What is the feeling of the 2 big defensemen Somerby and Carrabino ? I just happen to notice them on the roster and their size.
                          Somerby, huge but raw talent. Needs some work but good potential.

Carrabino is a transfer from Clarkson, won't be eligible until next season.

Comment

So here's a cool story, which I prefer to rehashing Friday's game.

Sunday I was at an all-day USAHockey coaching clinic. One of the presenters was Hans Skulstad, Chairman of the Hobey Baker committee. His presentation was on how to put forth a positive attitude as a coach, not just because it works better and is nicer for everyone, but because you have the chance to affect someone's life. And he told about giving the award to Matt Gilroy in '09.

After the presentation, they were supposed to walk to some other part of the arena for a reception (or something). On the way, Matt says, "Is there somewhere we can go for a second? Somewhere quiet?" Hans says yes, and they find a small room to duck into. Matt gets out his phone and makes a call: "Hi Lexi. I just won the Hobey Baker Award. I wanted to call and let you know I couldn't have done it without you." Hans goes, "Wow Matt, that's great, calling your girlfriend to say thanks." And Matt goes, "That's not my girlfriend Hans; she's my youth hockey coach."

And Hans -- who's actually getting emotional telling this! -- said to us, "That's when I knew we picked the right guy."

So there's a little BU pride for you.

edit: If only I'd had my BU jersey on! Oh well.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

So.....how 'bout that Agganis arena ticket policy?

Gotta do something to liven this thread up.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Balligeron.

Well, Quinn became Associate HC and primary recruiter in the fall of 2004. Eventually, the players he recruited won a National Championship. I guess you could ask, "where are the other championships? He was at BU for five seasons". True, but his players did win an NC, which counts for plenty. On the negative side, Trivino, Nicastro, Saponari and Glass were his recruits. It's hard to see that factor as positive. Perhaps, if he'd been at BU during that period, he may have had a positive influence on their behavior. Strictly idle speculation.

It's difficult to say that BU's recruiting hasn't suffered during his absence.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X