Johnson & Wales to add women's hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson & Wales to add women's hockey

We'll be adding another D-III program in 2015-16 with Johnson & Wales (Providence, RI) starting up a varsity program.

William Smith starts up in 2014-15.

Those two bring us to 53 total teams.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Johnson & Wales to add women's hockey

Well, that explains a Johnson & Wales coach being in the stands during the recent JWHL Boston weekend. Awesome news. Now, if only Bryant would add the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
      Well, that explains a Johnson & Wales coach being in the stands during the recent JWHL Boston weekend. Awesome news. Now, if only Bryant would add the sport.
      RI becoming a hotbed of new teams ?.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        Their concession stand should be awesome
        Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
          Their concession stand should be awesome
          Roger that, UCONN FAN!! Looking forward to some eclectic concessions!

Seriously though, RI really does have a large contingent of college teams for its size - Providence, Brown, Salve Regina, URI club team (which is D3 quality typically), and now Johnson and Wales.

Comment

Getting closer to the ECAC-East splitting into 2 conferences?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
              Or maybe a reallignment ECAC East-Central-West or Atlantic-Central-West

Comment

I would hope so...I think it's way past due....

Let's not forget about poor old Stevenson who has yet to find a home yet either.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I would hope so...I think it's way past due....

Let's not forget about poor old Stevenson who has yet to find a home yet either.
                  Perhaps there will be more schools in the mid-Atlantic getting on board with DIII women's hockey. I recall a conversation with a parent involved in youth hockey on Long Island and they predicted vastly increased interest in the southern regions. The ECAC could admit J&W and Stevenson (and Canton, UNew England and Franklin Pierce are independents) and ought to be able to sort out some sort of re-alignment, although I guess there is always the specter of a SUNYAC lurking out there too. How do Holy Cross and the DIIs impact the auto-bid status of a conference?

Comment

Perhaps there will be more schools in the mid-Atlantic getting on board with DIII women's hockey. I recall a conversation with a parent involved in youth hockey on Long Island and they predicted vastly increased interest in the southern regions. The ECAC could admit J&W and Stevenson (and Canton, UNew England and Franklin Pierce are independents) and ought to be able to sort out some sort of re-alignment, although I guess there is always the specter of a SUNYAC lurking out there too. How do Holy Cross and the DIIs impact the auto-bid status of a conference?
                    Those teams don't count towards the 7 needed in each conference to have an autobid.

So if one of those teams were in your conference you would need 8 teams, 2 need 9, and so on and so forth.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Those teams don't count towards the 7 needed in each conference to have an autobid.

So if one of those teams were in your conference you would need 8 teams, 2 need 9, and so on and so forth.
                      That still means, if I have done the math correctly (deleting Holy Cross, St. Michaels, St. Anselm and Franklin Pierce), there still needs to be 1 more team established to arrive at the 14 needed to split ECAC-East in two were all the teams admitted to that conference (granted Stevenson is geographically not a good fit in the East).

Comment

That still means, if I have done the math correctly (deleting Holy Cross, St. Michaels, St. Anselm and Franklin Pierce), there still needs to be 1 more team established to arrive at the 14 needed to split ECAC-East in two were all the teams admitted to that conference (granted Stevenson is geographically not a good fit in the East).
                        OMG...forgot William Smith is joining the party, so there could be 14 teams available to realign the ECAC-East!

Comment

OMG...forgot William Smith is joining the party, so there could be 14 teams available to realign the ECAC-East!
                          William smith is already joining and accepted to ECAC West.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

William smith is already joining and accepted to ECAC West.
                            A possible future alignment:

SUNYAC-Plattsburgh, Buffalo, Cortland, Potsdam, Canton, Oswego and ???

ECAC-West-Elmira, Manhattanville, Utica, Stevenson, Neumann, Chatham, William Smith

ECAC-East-Norwich, Castleton, Salve Regina, U of New England, New England College, U Mass Boston, Nichols, Plymouth State, Southern Maine and Johnson&Wales

This leaves Holy Cross, St Michael's, St Anselm and Franklin Pierce out in the cold, but as DI and DII schools in DIII conferences, they sort of are.

Per the M-ville running countdown, still 11 days and some hours to go before the season commences, but I am sooooo looking forward to seeing you all at Kreitzberg!!!

Comment

A possible future alignment:

This leaves Holy Cross, St Michael's, St Anselm and Franklin Pierce out in the cold, but as DI and DII schools in DIII conferences, they sort of are.

What other choice do they have? (At least the D2's)

Is the women's ice hockey better off losing 4 programs and ~100 participation opportunities? I highly doubt it. You leave these guys out on their own with nowhere else to go and that's pretty much what you will do.

I can pretty much guarantee you that realignment won't happen that excludes those 4 teams. They aren't a burden on travel and women's hockey isn't at a point yet where losing teams is good for the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X