St. Cloud State 2013-14 Season Thread: A Tough Act to Follow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Cloud State 2013-14 Season Thread: A Tough Act to Follow

Since no one started a season thread until about March last year, and the season is now upon us, I have taken it upon myself.

SCSU has typically not played their best hockey in the opening weeks of the season, but it looks like they should be a heavy favorite in this one. Bemidji lost half their scoring from last season and they didn't have much to lose. Walsh is a solid goalie and they bring back some solid defensemen, but BSU is picked to finish in the bottom half of the remodeled WCHA. Anything less than a sweep would be a disappointment.

It should be an interesting lid-lifter. Conference championship banner unfurled and Craig Dahl's induction into the SCSU Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday. Alumni night on Saturday. Would like to go to one of the games, but will probably end up watching the internet stream.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Re: St. Cloud State 2013-14 Season Thread: A Tough Act to Follow

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Craig Dahl's induction into the SCSU Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday.
    Will the Dahlie Lahma be there? That should get Skeeterman excited - if Skeets hasn't killed himself with drugs or a perforated colon by now.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Will the Dahlie Lahma be there? That should get Skeeterman excited - if Skeets hasn't killed himself with drugs or a perforated colon by now.
      Yes, he will be there. I still don't understand the hate from some of our fanbase towards Craig Dahl. The guy put together the best teams in the history of the program in 2000-01 and 2001-02 and did a pretty good job of building this program into one that could contend for a conference title every other year. Even though his teams never got to the Frozen Four, they had more success than the entire history of 15-20 other programs in Division I. I think because it got so bad at the end people remember that more than how fun those late 90's-early 00's teams were to watch.
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

We really don't need to go down the road agan for the 5,000th time why people did or didn't like Craig Dahl. My guess is he is pretty happy how his life turned out post coaching SCSU.

As for this season it would help a ton if they can get two wins this weekend. It would be quite the buzz kill losing a game to BSU tonight after the hoopla around the re-opening of the Brooks Center. I will be watching online. Hopefully the Huskies Lick the Beavers good tonight.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

The game will be on charter 426 (SD) and on 823 (HD) and apparently also available on Comcast channel 999 for anyone that may be interested.

Comment

The curse of the Llama!
            Bob is making me concerned
            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Time to move on from hatred of Craig Dahl. He took us to one level, Bob got us to the next. Hopefully Bob's work isn't done. Arena looks stellar!

Comment

I thought St. Cloud played an alright game last night. It seemed like they let up a little bit after going up 2-0. Walsh did an excellent job in net for Bemidji. St. Cloud could have easily had 5 or 6 goals based on the chances they got, but Walsh made some great stops and we missed the net a couple times. Benik looked excellent out there.

Did anybody else have a problem with the internet feed? Mine was buffering a lot, and I don't think it was on my end.

Comment

There were all sorts of problems last night. The first of which was the fact that they didn't bother doing a sound check before the big ceremony started. I heard about half of what Miss Brooks said as well as the NCHC commissioner's speech. If Coach Dahl or Chuck said anything, I couldn't hear it. VERY bush league.

The Huskies were a ball of fire in the 1st period, then let up a little in the 2nd...but showed they're a step ahead of the Beavers in the 3rd. BSU was visibly gassed halfway through the 3rd and it was just a matter of time before St. Cloud put them away for good. I wish Joey had been a little more selfish and taken the wide-open hat trick instead of making it interesting down the stretch.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

It was great sitting in my Minneapolis home able to watch the SCSU Sports Network in HD. Thanks SCSU. Comcast Event Channel 999. Still not quite as good as being there in person!

Comment

Dam you Comcast! I couldn't get a visual of the game. Was able to hear the stories, then Mr. threw a fit and I had to turn on baseball.
                      Originally posted by Skeeterman
                      Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                      "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        I thought St. Cloud played an alright game last night. It seemed like they let up a little bit after going up 2-0. Walsh did an excellent job in net for Bemidji. St. Cloud could have easily had 5 or 6 goals based on the chances they got, but Walsh made some great stops and we missed the net a couple times. Benik looked excellent out there.

Did anybody else have a problem with the internet feed? Mine was buffering a lot, and I don't think it was on my end.
                        Mine was too and my speed was between 130-150 the whole time. I hope they fix that because the picture was way better this year. I am assuming that is the HD.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

St. Cloud kinda got out of their game early and BSU took advantage of a couple screens to put us in a hole early. They showed a lot of balls coming back to take it to OT and then lose in our very first shootout (which was just for fun anyway).

I've never been a huge Gravel fan...but that guy was just plain solid this weekend. He looked great. Dowd and Benik are studs. Jonny Bravo was kinda invisible...he had a couple assists, but he didn't stand out like the other big names.
                          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Thought the Huskies looked pretty good for a team playing their first weekend of hockey. Some obvious early season rust in a few spots but overall pretty strong performance. BSU goalie (Walsh) was great Saturday night.

The guys have to work on hitting the net with their shots. We had a huge shot total at the end of Saturday's game but we also had a huge number of attempted shots go well wide. I think coach made a comment about that in one of the post game interviews so I'm sure it will be something they will be stressing to the team during the way too soon week off.

Comment

Originally posted by Duder View Post
                              Thought the Huskies looked pretty good for a team playing their first weekend of hockey. Some obvious early season rust in a few spots but overall pretty strong performance. BSU goalie (Walsh) was great Saturday night.

The guys have to work on hitting the net with their shots. We had a huge shot total at the end of Saturday's game but we also had a huge number of attempted shots go well wide. I think coach made a comment about that in one of the post game interviews so I'm sure it will be something they will be stressing to the team during the way too soon week off.
                              they were being a little to cute. They played hard and had the better of play. Overall was a good first weekend for the Huskies. What sucks is they now have next weekend off....

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Working...
                              X