PDA

View Full Version : 2013-14 NCHC Predictions

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

5mn_Major
10-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm sure Western Michigan fans are wondering what they got themselves into...wishing the had gone to the wcha.

MGoBlueHockey
10-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm sure Western Michigan fans are wondering what they got themselves into...wishing the had gone to the wcha.

All five of them. :D

MinnesotaNorthStar
10-10-2013, 10:17 PM
No, you don't get it.

When you copy something, there are then two of the same thing. Ex. Blackhawks goal song = Chelsea Dagger = UND goal song

When you use an element of something, or in your words "borrow from", it may be inspired by or similar in a way, but it is not a copy. Ex. Minnesota Rouser ≠ SCSU's new lame goal song
We "borrowed" the crest on the Blackhawks sweaters....not the whole sweater. So Dirty is correct.

Biddco
10-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Western fans may not even know who SCSU or UMD are. I've visited relatives in Michigan many times and they have never heard of UMD.

UMD21
10-11-2013, 08:38 AM
1. UMD
2. Dirty
3. UND
4. Miami
5. SCSU
6. UNO
7. Denver
8. CC
9. Western Michigan

UMD21
10-11-2013, 08:45 AM
The spelling of the name of course (pretty obvious) they need to try and be like big sister.

Jan Jan Jan...

right.... because Minnesota (and by Minnesota I mean the Gophers) is the only sports team in the nation that spells their team name out... Why don't we just say SCSU is trying to copy the Vikings? Jets? Bulldogs? You're REALLY fishing there

Dirty
10-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Man, wouldn't that have been sweet. They were the all being slack jawed yokels were the SCSU equivalent in the CCHA, right?

Tipsy McStagger
10-11-2013, 09:48 AM
We "borrowed" the crest on the Blackhawks sweaters....not the whole sweater. So Dirty is correct.

The crest as well as the logo. The logo being the thing that people associate with a team more than anything else.

http://sioux-jersey.com/#/1964-67-jerseys/4569203091
http://www.nhluniforms.com/Blackhawks/Blackhawks23.html

So I guess people can decide which is worse, copying a jersey style or copying the actual symbols that represent a team.

Dude Love
10-12-2013, 02:19 PM
right.... because Minnesota (and by Minnesota I mean the Gophers) is the only sports team in the nation that spells their team name out... Why don't we just say SCSU is trying to copy the Vikings? Jets? Bulldogs? You're REALLY fishing there

The U of M did popularize a lot of things that are now used widely throughout college sports...including but not limited to cheerleaders and Homecoming. Spelling, however, is not among them.

Biddco
10-12-2013, 04:27 PM
NCHC had a good night.

Biddco
10-12-2013, 04:27 PM
The U of M did popularize a lot of things that are now used widely throughout college sports...including but not limited to cheerleaders and Homecoming. Spelling, however, is not among them.

like using robgreens to play football!

burd
10-12-2013, 07:10 PM
What many of the younger gopher fans do not know is that it took 5 or 6 years for fans at old Mariucci to get the whole state spelling thing down. When I was an undergrad, they could generally get through the "s" before the confusion took over.

Biddco
10-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Based on this weekends games.... UNO will finish 7th and WMU will finish 8th. WMU looks like a team that will really struggle to score.

The Rube
10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
No, you don't get it.

When you copy something, there are then two of the same thing. Ex. Blackhawks goal song = Chelsea Dagger = UND goal song

When you use an element of something, or in your words "borrow from", it may be inspired by or similar in a way, but it is not a copy. Ex. Minnesota Rouser ≠ SCSU's new lame goal song

Ohhh, so it's like "sampling" in the rap music genre. They just borrow an "element" of the original song for their new rap song.

So where's our royalties for borrowing the spelling element?

First Time, Long Time
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Ohhh, so it's like "sampling" in the rap music genre. They just borrow an "element" of the original song for their new rap song.

So where's our royalties for borrowing the spelling element?

You get nothing without proving MN owns the copywright on spelling. :)

The Rube
10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
You get nothing without proving MN owns the copywright on spelling. :)

It's our song, it's our spelling. Therefore, it's ours. Simple logic.

Dude Love
10-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Yeah I think whoever wrote "The Alphabet Song" begs to differ.

First Time, Long Time
10-14-2013, 11:16 AM

And what SCSU is using is an original song, and doesn't spell Minnesota, so again, unless you can prove that MN invented and therefore has a copywright on spelling in songs (not just fight songs or rousers, because this nnew song is niether, no dice.

The Rube
10-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah I think whoever wrote "The Alphabet Song" begs to differ.

That song is public domain. Try again.

Edit: FTLT, what don't you understand about "sampling" or (to use your own fanbase's words) "borrowing elements"?

First Time, Long Time
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
That song is public domain. Try again.

Edit: FTLT, what don't you understand about "sampling" or (to use your own fanbase's words) "borrowing elements"?

What element did we borrow?
It's an original song, and we are not spelling Minnesota, so again, unless you can prove MN invented spelling and has a copywright on it, we aren't sampling from or borrowing from Minnesota.
You're the one wanting money here for borrowing the spelling element, so show that MN has spelling copyrighted.
What part of that do YOU not understand?