Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Michael Vecchione and Sam Coatta are out of the lineup for the first time this season. Neither made the trip (undisclosed).

Last edited by rdf8585; 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Great to be back! Let's Go U!
      Union College Hockey
      2014 NCAA National Champions
      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

A good, close game that could have gone either way. I thought Stevens (26 saves) in particular had a good game.

But the bigger story was just getting destroyed in the faceoff circle, losing 48/68 draws and both QU goals coming off faceoff wins. Vecchione, statistically Union's best faceoff man by a comfortable margin, was missed.

Recap: http://bit.ly/1lZCjQr

Shorter than usual turnaround tomorrow with a 4 pm start at Princeton. They're not as banged up as they were and a few key players (i.e Calof, Ambrosia) are back. Princeton beat RPI on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
          A good, close game that could have gone either way. I thought Stevens (26 saves) in particular had a good game.
          Watched online -- excellent college hockey game. Thought both goaltenders played well.

Comment

That was a great game last night and Union is a fantastic team capable of reaching Philadelphia. We could easily see you guys again in Lake Placid.
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

The story last night was the faceoffs debacle. In the last 5 minutes with a PP and extra attacker I think U won maybe 1 or 2 of 10 faceoffs and really never got any sustained pressure. The last 2 minutes in St. Cloud were like that and allowed the Huskies to tie the game. Don't know that there is much that can be done about it since faceoffs are almost more of an art than a science, and sounds like the coaches have the players working on them in practice, but it is an "Achilles heal" to use the phrase.

Otherwise I thought the boys played a very good game and had a chance to win right down to the end. Stevens was excellent and had no chance on the two goals (both off of faceoffs BTW ). If Carr's shot doesn't hit the freaking knob of Garteig's stick, maybe U escapes with a point, but take nothing away from the Bobcats who are an excellent team and played much tighter than in the first game.

Will have to brush this one off quick and move on to this afternoon's game with a Tigers team that is healthy and coming off a win - will definitely be a hard game but need some points this weekend.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Zajac, Welsh, Boileau were all great on faceoffs, a very easy to overlook part of the game. I'm sure the staff is pulling their hair out over it, but it does seem to be out of their hands.

I streamed the game on my iPhone while at Rangers game and from what I could see it was an evenly played game. Union had somewhat of a patchwork lineup but no excuses. I hope Hatch is ok after being boarded on a dangerous looking play.

Huge game tonight. Two games in hand on qpac so we don't want the gap to narrow. Let's hope our "friends" from Troy can steal a point or two.

It will be my first game at Hobey which I am looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                  The story last night was the faceoffs debacle. In the last 5 minutes with a PP and extra attacker I think U won maybe 1 or 2 of 10 faceoffs and really never got any sustained pressure. The last 2 minutes in St. Cloud were like that and allowed the Huskies to tie the game. Don't know that there is much that can be done about it since faceoffs are almost more of an art than a science, and sounds like the coaches have the players working on them in practice, but it is an "Achilles heal" to use the phrase.

Otherwise I thought the boys played a very good game and had a chance to win right down to the end. Stevens was excellent and had no chance on the two goals (both off of faceoffs BTW ). If Carr's shot doesn't hit the freaking knob of Garteig's stick, maybe U escapes with a point, but take nothing away from the Bobcats who are an excellent team and played much tighter than in the first game.

Will have to brush this one off quick and move on to this afternoon's game with a Tigers team that is healthy and coming off a win - will definitely be a hard game but need some points this weekend.
                  An "Achilles Heal' is a win in Schenectady after a bad weekend.

Comment

Coatta in for Bennett.

Comment

Gostisbehere hurt .... a cheap shot from a Princeton thug in the 1st. Gostisbehere out of the game. Soon afterward another thug hit by Princeton and a 5 min major and a game misconduct ... ejected. Up yours Princeton !!!!! Thanks for the thuggery, Princeton, it really got the Dutchmen energized. Union responds with 3 goals.

Princeton has not beat Union in 10 games since 2009 and has not scored a goal against Union this year.

Union 3 - Princeton 0 Shots 48-33 Union - Great goaltending by both teams. Finny keep them in the game. Another shutout by Stevens !!!! Lots of players stepped up. Carr notches another. We are back !!!
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-11-2014, 05:26 PM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Give the Cruice some juice and turn him loose!

Comment

I hope Ghost is alright. Most Teams know they can't beat us so they take cheap shots at our (arguably) best player,
                          Union College Hockey
                          2014 NCAA National Champions
                          2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Good bounce back win. From afar, it seems like it took about four periods this weekend for Union to find its groove after a month off.

Union lacked their usual crispness on Friday and uncharacteristically allowed 17 shots in Saturday's first period.

Those last two periods on Saturday -- outshooting Princeton 37-16 and pulling away -- are a good sign any rust was shaken off.

The Gostisbehere injury will need to be watched, but we probably won't know much for a few days.

Saturday recap: http://t.co/bAURJdR3Gg

Comment

Good bounceback win last night against a hard nosed Princeton team with a hot goalie. I thought there was actually a nasty edge to some of the Tigers such as the dangerous hit from behind on Sullivan. I think the hit on Ghost was a clean one however and it looked like either his hip or back area was involved. He was sitting with his parents in street clothes for the final two periods. With my acute game watching skills I didn't realize his absence until the middle of the second period.

Fitting that Daniel Carr got the ENG. he was robbed on a bunch of shots. Colin has really progressed and become the type of goalie I suspected he could be. With Ghost injured Mat Bodie seemed to be on the ice all game. I love his game and his smarts. He will be a tough one to replace.

The PK was perfect on the weekend and the PP was shut out. Go figure. Despite the tough loss at Q, we still got the needed two points for the weekend and have a decent shot at regaining first place. The injury situation of course is of concern as well as Vecchione's apparent case of mono. It's never easy.

First trip to Hobey was a bit of a letdown. It's a vintage barn but the sight lines in a good part are horrible. Their scoreboard was worse than Messa's and no shots on goal tracker.

On to UNH
                              Last edited by Wholin1; 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Spencer Foo https://***********/spencerfoo/statu...34405156909057
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X