Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

I assume Colin will be in goal tonight but am by no means certain. Alex really had a marvelous performance on a big stage. He seemed a lot more confident and didn't have his back glued to crossbar as he did in his earlier starts. He was thrown into the fire early when Colin went down and has come back strong. I think we all need to realize what a fantastic goalie coach we have in Jason Tapp who has been instrumental in developing in turn Keith Kinkaid, Troy Grosenick, Colin and now Alex. He's a tremendous resource to the program as is Joe Dumais who obviuosly has had a big influence on the freshmen forwards. Let's see if we can get the job done again tonight, either way plenty to be excited about with this group.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I assume Colin will be in goal tonight but am by no means certain. Alex really had a marvelous performance on a big stage. He seemed a lot more confident and didn't have his back glued to crossbar as he did in his earlier starts. He was thrown into the fire early when Colin went down and has come back strong. I think we all need to realize what a fantastic goalie coach we have in Jason Tapp who has been instrumental in developing in turn Keith Kinkaid, Troy Grosenick, Colin and now Alex. He's a tremendous resource to the program as is Joe Dumais who obviuosly has had a big influence on the freshmen forwards. Let's see if we can get the job done again tonight, either way plenty to be excited about with this group.
      Something I noticed after looking at the boxscore, U's starting lineup last night had Coatta, Bodie and Alex S who all are fairly local to Minnesota and am pretty sure their families were in attendance. And for even Eli and Carr this was about as close to home as will get and is possible their families were there too. This was obviously a special lineup as Coatta played the rest of the game at his regular 4th line position. Not saying that Bennett played Alex because it was close to home.. but regardless it certainly worked out well.

Wholin makes a good point about Tapp and the goalies. Really was not fair to judge Alex on early games when Jason had barely had time to work with him. Will be interesting to see how he further develops.
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
        Something I noticed after looking at the boxscore, U's starting lineup last night had Coatta, Bodie and Alex S who all are fairly local to Minnesota and am pretty sure their families were in attendance. And for even Eli and Carr this was about as close to home as will get and is possible their families were there too. This was obviously a special lineup as Coatta played the rest of the game at his regular 4th line position. Not saying that Bennett played Alex because it was close to home.. but regardless it certainly worked out well.

Wholin makes a good point about Tapp and the goalies. Really was not fair to judge Alex on early games when Jason had barely had time to work with him. Will be interesting to see how he further develops.
        Speaking of goalies, good article today in the Schenectady gazette about former Union goalie Terry Rathwell and his life since incurring an injury during the summer of 1988. I was goal judge for Union at that time and also got to know Terry at the rink when he returned to school after he recovered from his injury. Great kid and a very inspirational story, perhaps some one can post the story , also the Union Concordia (spelling) had a great article about him , maybe someone can research that too.

PS noticed Coatta as listed as starting in the box score, nice touch I thought, the more I follow Union the more I feel the team stands for more than winning, for which I am very grateful.

Comment

RB specifically mentioned Wednesday at Dartmouth post game that he tries to schedule games each season to allow easier travel for families to see their sons play. He mentioned specifically Mat Bodie and Sam Coatta. I think we forget sometimes how much families sacrifice so their kids can play at this level, and many if not most families sacrifice financially as well. I'm sure other coaches are cognizant of this too.

Comment

Great win for Union last night. I was there. Those who watched the game pretty much hit the game on the head. Union started the game with more energy and pace that SCSU. The team earned its first-period power plays and corresponding goals. The last ten minutes of the second period, Saint Cloud figure something out. They started wining all the battles and trapped Union in its own zone. Union, though, got through it. Alex made some excellent saves. Union's first third-period goal was fluky, but, again, the team earned its goals. Unlike most of Saint Cloud's shots, Union's were high quality.

Finally, the crowd was lame. But this was due in large part because Union dominated the game. I can't wait to watch the Dutchmen tame the Huskies again tonight.
            Union Class of '07

Comment

Originally posted by garnetfan View Post
              Speaking of goalies, good article today in the Schenectady gazette about former Union goalie Terry Rathwell and his life since incurring an injury during the summer of 1988. I was goal judge for Union at that time and also got to know Terry at the rink when he returned to school after he recovered from his injury. Great kid and a very inspirational story, perhaps some one can post the story
              Turns out Google is everyone's friend, not just the NSA.

Good article, thanks for sharing.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Final Game Recap - with video of all the scoring ... USCHO RECAP
                http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2013/12/...t-cloud-state/
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Great win for Union last night, great for the team, great for all ECAC fans and great for the league .Two things I'd like for Christmas, the system you use and one of your goalies---Seriously , the kid played a great game in the net with all that pressure . You've got a well balanced team, sharp coach and they're hungry , take it to them to-night.
                  brashersaintsfan

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Final Game Recap - with video of all the scoring ... USCHO RECAP
                    http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2013/12/...t-cloud-state/
                    Notice that Sullivan was parked in front in almost identical position on both PP goals. The second time led to a review for possible interference, but the goal stood. He has been a tremendously improved player this season.

Comment

Comment

Great Start Dutchmen .... still undefeated on the road.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Great Start Dutchmen .... still undefeated on the road.
                          That was a horrible penalty call at the end of reg. if anything it was diving by the St. Cloud player.

Comment

Originally posted by jmc1010 View Post
                            That was a horrible penalty call at the end of reg. if anything it was diving by the St. Cloud player.
                            I agree the SCST player exhibited embellishment on that play, but Wilkins' dumb*** should have never hooked him in the offensive zone.
                            Union College Hockey
                            2014 NCAA National Champions
                            2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

We understandably ran out of gas and were outplayed for all but about 15 minutes. Colin was spectacular. It sounded like there were about 3 Brodzinskis out there. Tie was a good result under the circumstances. If I was told Thursday we'd get out of town with a win and a tie I'd have jumped at the chance, a very good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                We understandably ran out of gas and were outplayed for all but about 15 minutes. Colin was spectacular. It sounded like there were about 3 Brodzinskis out there. Tie was a good result under the circumstances. If I was told Thursday we'd get out of town with a win and a tie I'd have jumped at the chance, a very good weekend.
                                My feelings exactly.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X