Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

I'll echo what ADK said, he pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was impressed with all of the freshmen, especially Pontarelli and Lichtenwald. I thought Henry looked a little nervous with the puck early on but he settled down as the game went along. Sakellaropoulos is rough around the edges, but you can't fault him for any of the BG goals. Vasaturo had a really rough night in his first game back, especially on BGSU's third goal where he looked lost all shift and topped it off by sweeping the puck into his own net.

The game went as expected for a first game of the year, Union didn't look crisp at all at times and BGSU capitalized on our rough second period. With some adjustments, especially facing BGSU's forecheck, Union should take the win tonight. Hopefully whoever in net doesn't get bulldozed like Stevens did last night. I still can't believe #12 for BGSU didn't get tossed for that one.
    Last edited by Dutchfan; 10-12-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I thought Williamson's hit on Stevens was a big time cheap shot and probably intentional. He at least made no significant effort to avoid the collision. The fact that he came back to score after taking our goaltender out of the game was hugely inequitable. In fact I thought there were a lot of cheap shots out there by the visitors including several high forearms and elbows and a nasty blow to Carr's head which was in fact penalized.

There was an actual game played and so far as that is concerned I came away somewhat disappointed with the result but generally encouraged by what I saw, particularly with the 7 freshmen who were on the ice. Lictphtenblad though huge may actually be more of a finesse player and a skilled one at that. Pontarelli looks like he is going to be an exciting player to watch. I would admonish those who are on the ice with him to keep their eyes open and sticks on the ice because he is going to be making some amazing passes when he isn't scoring himself. And what can you say about the Ghost that hasn't already been said? An amazing talent who on occasion may try to do too much himself, but when you have a fast horse in the barn you have to let him run.

Sully was around the puck a lot and looked like he has picked up some speed. Wilkins needs to show me more. Daniel Carr is an animal and I think that if he stays healthy could have a record setting type season. I thought the overall team speed was excellent and that with time this could be a very good if young group. I feel terribly for Colin Stevens whose spotlight moment was tarnished. Let's hope he isn't seriously hurt but that was a nasty high speed collision.

On a different note, congrats to Bealer on SHU's big upset win over No 1 Mass Lowell.
      Last edited by Wholin1; 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Stevens remains out, Sakellaropoulos to start in goal.

FULL LINE CHART: http://t.co/OhWJ64blg9

Comment

I just talked with one of the assist Union coaches, he said Stevens injury is not serious and will hopefully be back next weekend
          Union College Hockey
          2014 NCAA National Champions
          2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Lichtenwald and Wilkins both out of lineup

Comment

Sounds like BGU is a bunch of goons. At least the Dutchmen took it to them, with the newbies making significant contributions. Don't recall a team ever incurring twelve penalties.

Comment

UNION PLAYERS POSTGAME (Michael Pontarelli, Daniel Ciampni, and Shayne Gostisbehere)

http://youtu.be/Ls3JyV8003M

RICK BENNETT POSTGAME

http://t.co/lG9tSGiIcj

Comment

That was an entertaining game tonight. The Flyers scouts sitting next to me seemed to be enjoying it too. I think they saw a Ghost. I have a feeling we had better enjoy Shayne while he's still here because I don't think he'll be around next season especially with Philly as bad as they seem to be. Pontarelli seems as gifted as I had hoped and could be a special player. Taylor also looks like he may be exceptionally talented. Still you have to expect freshmen to do dumb things and be inconsistent so the upperclassmen need to lead the way.

The damper on the weekend is the rash of early injuries. Novak missed both games as did Roy who I assume is injured. Lichtenwald, Wilkins and Stevens going down is very worrisome especially Stevens with basically only a freshman though a talented one, to fill the void. I remember the season where Milan played every game and holding my breath that as the only alternative, he stayed healthy and he was not a freshman that season. The lack of comment from the coaching staff on the nature and extent of the injuries has me anxious.
                  Last edited by Wholin1; 10-12-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Late addition Pontarelli having early impact and more notes from Saturday's 5-2 win over BGSU:

http://bit.ly/161ByEG

Lichtenwald was spotted with crutches as he took in the game from the bleachers.

Comment

This is not science as its way too early in the season and most of the games are non conference and some leagues are tilted one way but if my numbers are correct thus far:
                      ECAC 10-3
                      NCHC 8-3
                      Big 10 7-2
                      HE 10-10
                      WCHA 6-11
                      Atlantic 3-15

It will be interesting as the year unwinds and more conference play begins to see how each league does against another. Its way too early to tell. For the ECAC, clearly last year was no fluke. The ECAC is picking up where we left off. Last year 5 of the old WCHA teams made the playoffs and only 3 ECAC made it.

Last year Union led the nation (NCAA DI) in Power Play Goals

#1. UNION 44-179 24.58
                      #13. YALE
                      #14. St. Lawrence
                      #15. RPI

and was 7th in the nation (NCAA DI) in Penalty Kills.

#1. Quinnipiac 164 of 180 91.1
                      #5. Dart
                      #7. UNION 138 of 160 86.2

Quinnipiac lead the Nation in Defense last year and as shown above was first in killing penalties. I think the two go hand in hand.

#1. Quinnipiac 1.67
                      #6. UNION 2.12
                      #10. Brown
                      #12. RPI
                      #24. Yale
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 10-13-2013, 08:22 AM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

So with the Flyers in a shambles and firing their coach 3 games into the season are they desperate enough to wave big dollars in front of Ghost and actually sign him in season?

Comment

My thoughts on this weekend...... from my vantage point in the stands Union is a fast team that comes at you in waves right to the net, if our opponents don't back check and play great position in all 3 zones we have the advantage. Pontarelli plays defense too, he back checks and can break up a rush creatively. In an interview on previous thread here his junior coach in Cornwall said he was dedicated to being an all around player and it showed this weekend. His youthful enthusiasm is catching too. Henry and Taylor can play , at times I thought Taylor was playing wing , and did seem to use good judgement pinching. They seemed to mirror Ghost and Bodie and even Gingras in not being afraid to take it up ice with confidence ,,for the first week end of games that is a great sign of coaching to play to the teams strengths and to recruit for it too. From the stands it is so great to imagine all the schooling Bodie, Carr, Ghost and the upperclassmen are giving to our rookies. Like last year I haven't noticed any cycling yet so I assume that will come like last year when the lines etc. are more established. Great experience in facing a hard checking team that knows how to forecheck , saw some nice outlet passes and was impressed with the maturity of the team in facing the provocation they threw our way. Any Thoughts fans, let me know.

Comment

Each team develops and takes on a character of its own. Union's character has been that of a small, tough, well disciplined "working class" team. When a team is faced with adversity, it can wilt and give up, it can throw in the "towel". Or, players can step up, leaders can emerge and the team, despite being bloodied can say, when their starting goalie is mugged and trampled, "bull**** .... we are not going to take this, we are not going down without a fight" !!! We all saw this, this weekend. We saw great upperclassmen leadership that was reminiscent of two years ago combined with great effort by every player on the team. We all saw glimpses of what might be a very exciting season of Union College Hockey. This has to be tempered because this years non-conference schedule is very tough. We face some of the best teams in the WCHA, NCHC, Big 10 and Hockey East. Some of these teams have rich traditions and storied pasts. Each of these 10 non-conference games is going to be a very tough battle. I am really glad our first 4 non-conference games are at home. The next six will be on the road.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Ken Schott outlines the bleak injury situation. http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...hit-by-injuri/

Comment

Picked up a commitment from Wade Novak

Comment

Working...
                                X