Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Having Sullivan back for that second game against RPI was huge. He went right back to work, with two assists. That was really the first game we were at full strength and Sullivan is another member of the senior leadership. I am hoping the team came out of Troy physically intact. Penn State finished very strong last year. They beat Ohio State, Vermont, Wisconsin and Michigan State down the stretch. They look disciplined but do pick up penalties. The one interesting stat is their shots on goal per game. They are third in the nation.

SHOTS PER GAME GM Shots PG
    1 Miami 13 36.7
    2 St. Cloud State 11 36.0
    3 Penn State 9 35.4
    4 Nebraska-Omaha 13 35.3
    5 Minnesota 11 35.2
    6 Robert Morris 10 34.9
    7 Boston College 12 34.7
    8 Quinnipiac 14 34.4
    9 Wisconsin 8 34.4
    10 Union 11 34.1

Stevens will get a workout.

My sense is that their coach has been focusing them on being ready for the Big Ten and this Union match up will be their out-coming party, in front of their 5,000 (sell-out) rabid fans. Every win this year is critical, in league or out, top 20 or not.

Saw Yale easily defeat Colgate ....
    Last edited by Dutchman; 11-23-2013, 07:03 AM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Having Sullivan back for that second game against RPI was huge. He went right back to work, with two assists. That was really the first game we were at full strength and Sullivan is another member of the senior leadership. I am hoping the team came out of Troy physically intact. Penn State finished very strong last year. They beat Ohio State, Vermont, Wisconsin and Michigan State down the stretch. They look disciplined but do pick up penalties. The one interesting stat is their shots on goal per game. They are third in the nation.

SHOTS PER GAME GM Shots PG
      1 Miami 13 36.7
      2 St. Cloud State 11 36.0
      3 Penn State 9 35.4
      4 Nebraska-Omaha 13 35.3
      5 Minnesota 11 35.2
      6 Robert Morris 10 34.9
      7 Boston College 12 34.7
      8 Quinnipiac 14 34.4
      9 Wisconsin 8 34.4
      10 Union 11 34.1

Stevens will get a workout.

My sense is that their coach has been focusing them on being ready for the Big Ten and this Union match up will be their out-coming party, in front of their 5,000 (sell-out) rabid fans. Every win this year is critical, in league or out, top 20 or not.

Saw Yale easily defeat Colgate ....
      Good points but Penn State will not get close to that many shots tonight and Union will out shoot them by 15. They won't let this become a trap game.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
        Welsh has become the first former Union player to score an NHL goal: http://bit.ly/1fumiUh

Couldn't happen to a better guy.
        Congratulations to Jeremy. If he stays with Canucks he will be visiting MSG next Saturday for Tort's homecoming.

Comment

On the flip side Union has not yet given up more than 29 shots in a game and 10 of the 11 games are 25 or less. While Penn State did put up two 37 shot performances on a pretty good UMassL defense I like the way your team is playing. I also think some games with higher shot totals for Stevens would not be a bad thing as he continues to develop as the #1.

Comment

Feature on Grosenick from the AHL website: http://t.co/lU6YrJy9D6

Comment

Gadowsky teams are always good at getting shots on net, but its quality shots that win games and U had pretty good luck against his teams at Princeton back in the day. On the other end PSU allows a lot of shots, so if the boys stay disciplined and don't turn it into a total track meet should be ok. I also like that it should be a good atmosphere with a big crowd, something U has some experience with. I get more worried about "trap games" with AHA teams or in holiday tournaments where there are 200 crickets in the stands. Some energy in the rink, even if it is against you, is better than none at all.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I'm wondering if the crowds at PSU will be large with students on Turkey Day break.

Comment

PENN STATE
                  Video Practice Update - after the UML game by their coach and their top scorer (Goodwin). They like playing at home.
                  They plan on "carrying a lot of that momentum and confidence into the Union Game ..... and upset some teams."
                  Nice Rink ...
                  http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/2013...vember-19.html
                  Last edited by Dutchman; 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Idle Union up two spots to 15 in the USCHO poll.... fell out of the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...-in-polls.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      I'm wondering if the crowds at PSU will be large with students on Turkey Day break.
                      I grew up in State College. Nearly all of my immediate relatives went to Penn State, and my Grandfather was a professor there. I am one of a few of my close, close friends who went to college out of state. needless to say, this is a HUGE weekend for me I looked into a block of tickets last week and nearly nothing was left for Saturday. There is much more for Sunday, but Saturday is a hot ticket. I am surprised that it is near sold out, given the vacation and how dead the town usually is that weekend. Fortunately, I had a buddy who had an extra ticket, otherwise I might be SOL. Stubhub's cheapest ticket for Saturday is 49 bucks and Penn State's ticket site only has 22 tickets left, with 28 bucks as the cheapest. Maybe a lot of families looking for something to do Saturday night? Not too sure. Most likely there will still be a big student section and then a whole lot of townies. Football is at Wisconsin, so that isn't playing a role.

Any other Union fans going?? I believe I will be the sole speck of garnet in a sea of blue and white. If you are going and need recommendations for anything, just let me know!
                      Last edited by UnionTDX04; 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM. Reason: Football rules all in SC
                      NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: 2014
                      Frozen Four: 2012, 2014
                      ECAC Champs: 2012, 2013, 2014
                      NCAA Appearances: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

TDX, I was seriously considering making the drive but they changed the Sunday game to the evening so that made the decision for me. Also, I drove out that way to go the the FF in Pittsburgh last spring and it's a miserable drive from the Capital District. I do know of at least two friends who are making the trip, but they go to nearly every away game. I'd love to see that new arena, it looks fantastic. I hope we quiet the place down this weekend and that you have a lot to cheer about.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionTDX04 View Post
                          I grew up in State College. Nearly all of my immediate relatives went to Penn State, and my Grandfather was a professor there. I am one of a few of my close, close friends who went to college out of state. needless to say, this is a HUGE weekend for me I looked into a block of tickets last week and nearly nothing was left for Saturday. There is much more for Sunday, but Saturday is a hot ticket. I am surprised that it is near sold out, given the vacation and how dead the town usually is that weekend. Fortunately, I had a buddy who had an extra ticket, otherwise I might be SOL. Stubhub's cheapest ticket for Saturday is 49 bucks and Penn State's ticket site only has 22 tickets left, with 28 bucks as the cheapest. Maybe a lot of families looking for something to do Saturday night? Not too sure. Most likely there will still be a big student section and then a whole lot of townies. Football is at Wisconsin, so that isn't playing a role.

Any other Union fans going?? I believe I will be the sole speck of garnet in a sea of blue and white. If you are going and need recommendations for anything, just let me know!
                          You are a very lucky man !!!! Here is the perspective from the Penn State Coach:

Pegula Arena, of course, is named for the Nittany Lions’ benefactor, Terry Pegula, owner of the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL and the man who contributed more than $100 million for the program and construction of the building that bears his name.

“To describe the arena,” Gadowsky said, “I mean, it’s beautiful. It’s beautiful from a fan perspective. It’s a beautiful arena. It’s very comfortable. There is not a bad seat in the house.

“From the student body perspective, it’s not only beautiful, it’s fun. The student section is awesome. It’s literally as steep as code will allow.

“From a student-athlete perspective, convenient. It’s right in the middle of campus. I don’t want to say excessive, but they have everything there that they need to develop.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/09/the-...#ixzz2lhDUJCm8
                          http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/09/the-...ky-penn-state/
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            Also, I drove out that way to go the the FF in Pittsburgh last spring and it's a miserable drive from the Capital District.
                            The drive from Schenectady is terrible. I would do it in 5 hours 15 minutes, 336 miles, 1 tank of gas, no stops. Traffic in the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area when it slows down to 55 would always ruin things for me. Plus, 80W is one of the most boring pieces of road in the US. Terrible, terrible drive. But hey at least I got some good sights while driving: Binghamton, Scran/WB, truck stops, cows, nothingness...
                            NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: 2014
                            Frozen Four: 2012, 2014
                            ECAC Champs: 2012, 2013, 2014
                            NCAA Appearances: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                              Idle Union up two spots to 15 in the USCHO poll.... fell out of the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...-in-polls.html
                              BC got totally destroyed by Maine (and I mean totally destroyed) 6-1 and went from 7th to 6th place in the USA ... go figure. Someone is not paying attention

USCHO ECAC 6/20 = 30% + St. Lawrence mentioned
                              USA ECAC 4/15 = 27% + Union + RPI mentioned
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                BC got totally destroyed by Maine (and I mean totally destroyed) 6-1 and went from 7th to 6th place in the USA ... go figure. Someone is not paying attention
                                The USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll is widely seen as the lesser of the two polls.
                                Last edited by rdf8585; 11-26-2013, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X