Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Nice weekend for Union. Typical for RPI
    Getting out shot 9-1 late in 3rd at home says a lot about the two programs
    Last edited by Hokydad; 11-16-2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Sweep Let's Go!! Who's your daddy RPI?!
      Union College Hockey
      2014 NCAA National Champions
      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Tonight was the first night that we were at full strength .....
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Game , set, match. Pretty sure these teams won't be exchanging Xmas cards. Missing person report filed on Haggerty.

Comment

POSTGAME VIDEO -

Appert - http://t.co/om0l2GAPgk (he called Gostisbehere "the best player in the country")

Gostisbehere - http://t.co/kmr2xioKp2

Carr - http://t.co/QfJrJFUNQh

Bennett - http://t.co/FunHBLEfXu

Comment

It sounds like Seth doesn't want to see somebody wearing Union colors next year. As a fan, I hope Shayne stays for his senior year. A college player only has 4 years and in Shayne's case, the rest of his life to be a pro. He's an unbelievable player, but still could work on size and getting stronger. On the flip side, maybe I'm just being greedy.
              Union College Hockey
              2014 NCAA National Champions
              2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Good game again by the Dutchmen and another situation where someone needed to step up to lead Union and this time it was the Ghost...

A few thoughts from watching the video feeds this weekend and lurking in the social media streams:

1. Hats off to RPI TV...Great streaming quality even on my ancient, crappy laptop...And free to boot...Much better than Union's pay to watch feed....

2. I stand by my original post that if Kasdorf had been in net for RPI, the games would have been closer. Some of the onus for the 8-spot Union dropped on RPI this weekend goes to the team D, but Diebold had his issues as well....

3. The Ghost was excellent and the odds are in favor him leaving at the end of the season, especially with Philly floundering so much this year.....

4. I will take an educated guess and expect to see Union back in the national rankings this Monday after beating the #10 team twice...I think RPI is overall better than what they showed this weekend and they will not leave the Top 20....

5. A quick word on the ugliness at the end of tonight's game: Coach Bennett and Coach Appert put it simply...Hockey is an emotional game and frustration/immaturity comes easily in a series like this, especially with the history and the bad blood between the two schools. WaP tweeted that BOTH teams played with poor sportsmanship in the last minutes tonight and that is spot on...However, WaP is also partially guilty for the poor sportsmanship shown by SOME RPI fans with the constant tweeting with the hashtag #HateUnionWeek...I didn't see any #HateRPIWeek hashtags anywhere in the Twitter world...I went to Union in the late 1980's and the rivalry was strong back then with both sides ribbing the other given half a chance...However, both schools are excellent places to get an education and both schools are located in hardscrabble, blue collar cities with plenty of urban issues and problems to go around...The comments about "SCCC", "#26", "Messa is a sewer" and referring to Union students/players as "clowns, jerks and idiots/morons" by SOME RPI fans and any mean and nasty items that some Union fans post are petty and childish and embarrass both the posters and the schools they went to...

6. Furthermore, we live in a social media realm that is unprecedented in its ability to disseminate data to the masses...After the Colgate letdown for Union last weekend, I was looking at my Twitter feed after the game...I noticed that ELynah tweeted that their comeback tie against RPI " pairs nicely with a win over Union" the next night...We have a Cornell fan who had already penciled in the outcome of a game not played...That's extremely cocky...Frankly, that tweet is prime locker room bulletin board material at its finest...Every player in this league has a smartphone and tweets constantly like all young folks do...If the Union players didn't catch that tweet right away, they go it when I sent it to all of the players I follow...Along with the assumed Coach Bennett tirade, the result the next night against Cornell was not a big surprise...#HateUnionWeek was unnecessary and filled with venom and hate coming from SOME, not ALL, of the folks that support RPI hockey...There was a lot of talk on the score thread tonight about Union's classlessness at the end of the game...First of all, BOTH teams were stupid and immature at the end of the game...Second, I wonder why the Union players would react to the crowd in that way??? Social Media, perhaps??? #HateUnionWeek??? A lot of yapping from SOME of the RPI faithful and no back up on the ice...Anything wrong with #GoRPI or #BeatUnion???? Just after tonight's game, my twitter feed blew up with former Union Hockey players and assorted Union Hockey fans tweeting all sorts of nanner-nanner stuff and they are justified in doing so after their team got it done where it matters: on the ice, not in the crowd....One tweet talked about renaming the weekend the "Rout 7 Rivalry"...You reap what you sow...Don't embarrass yourself and complain about sportsmanship and being classy when you or one of your crew threw one of the first punches...

All of that said, the final regular season contest at the Toaster Oven should be a good one...

Also, congrats to the RPI football team for winning back the Dutchman Shoes...They had a 4th quarter comeback and then held on to win a close one....They finish the season with a 5-5 record and looking to build for the future...Union finished the season with a losing record...I remember when Union football meant something and we either went undefeated or had one loss all season...Time for Coach Audino to resign gracefully and get some new blood into Union football....

Enjoy the rest of the weekend....

Keith.
                Keith Reynolds
                Union College
                Class of 1992
                B.A. in Economics/Mathematics

University of Nevada - Las Vegas
                Class of 2001
                M.S. in Sports and Leisure Management

"I went to Union before it sucked...."

Comment

Another milestone.. with tonight's win, Union now leads the overall series with RPI since U joined D-1 in 1991 (30-29-9). Pretty incredible considering that after the first 13 seasons RPI had 18 more wins. Obviously a big change in the past 10 years .

Was a bit of a strange game tonight, particularly the reffing. Probably not exactly how Alex Dell wanted his last game to go. Thought Appert's comments after the game were spot on and have to think that they will bounce back. The ice did look terrible and seemed that U adjusted to it better than the Engineers. Also think Union's speed, particularly the d-men, really gave RPI problems. Ghost did have an excellent game tonight and a very good weekend. My bet is he signs a pro contract as soon as his last game in garnet & white is over this season. Reality is he has very little learn or gain from another year in NCAA, so we should enjoy him now. Also very impressed with Cruice, Coatta and big Eli the goal scoring machine! A great weekend and start to the ECAC season!! Is obvious that this team can "set the pace" in a game when they are "on".. the trick will be how to keep the switch "on" more consistently.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I've never seen a college game like that before. I've seen some AHL games get out of hand like that, but not at this level.

177 combined penalty minutes says it all.

It made for great theater, and fortunately nobody was injured. You wonder if additional discipline will be handed out once it all gets reviewed.

With three straight wins over ranked teams, those concerns from a few weeks ago seem like distant memories. The team is right where you want them to be heading into their week off.

And Lichtenwald continues to impress, scoring another goal tonight.

Putting a bow on tonight's win: http://t.co/5Kph7k4mkX

Comment

Originally posted by uniontrack View Post

Time for Coach Audino to resign gracefully and get some new blood into Union football....
                      Keith.
                      Keith:
                      In total 100% agreement !!!
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union is an intractable case of Shingles to RPI....incurable!

Comment

A nice 4 points. I've been a fan for 20 years and the best thing I can say is that this is a team and a program that no longer measures season success with wins over RPI. RPI has a great team but this was our weekend. We have a lot of growing to do but the potential is there. On to the next one!

Comment

• Originally posted by GameOn View Post
                            A nice 4 points. I've been a fan for 20 years and the best thing I can say is that this is a team and a program that no longer measures season success with wins over RPI. RPI has a great team but this was our weekend. We have a lot of growing to do but the potential is there. On to the next one!

Exactly. RPI is a choke program.
                            When I saw the rankings a couple weeks ago I laughed.

Onward and upward and forget about the rear view mirror.
                            Remember, Union won more NCAA playoff games last year than RPI has in the past 28.

Comment

Keith accurately observes that it is all too easy with social media to communicate anonymously from the comfort of a keyboard or portable device. People post and message things electronically that they would never think of saying face to face and that is antisocial in my view. Specifically, there are posters on these forums, on Facebook, Twitter, etc. who act very boorishly and that dumbs us all down. It is an easy trap to fall into. I just checked my rep and my post last night drew a "scumbags" comment (anonymous of course). Point proven.

More on point, and with specific regard to the end of last night's game, the coaches and players all pointed out that hockey is an emotional game, and though regrettable, some of the things that happened last night were understandable. Thankfully no one was hurt, but maybe in a sense it was a safety valve release of sorts. I would be surprised if the January game has similar incidents.

Anyway, so far as this weekend is concerned, and in W's words, "Mission Accomplished." Whereas the coaching staff had problems with an injury depleted squad, last night they had a full complement of players for the first time this season. Tough decisions as to who sits and who plays lie ahead, a good problem to have and spirited practices to follow. I am assuming that Ghost's foot or ankle injury is not serious though his limping off the ice at the end of period one was an anxiety producing moment. Obviously it didn't bother him enough to prevent his starring role in the the third.

Logic tells me that he could well go on to the pros after this season. My heart hopes I'm wrong, but as Keith said, enjoy his being here while he is.
                              Last edited by Wholin1; 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM.

Comment

At his post game interview, Daniel Carr said that it was time to ... " move on and focus on Penn State."

On Thursday and Friday Penn State was host and squared off against UMass Lowell, ranked 13th and a frozen 4 and this year winners over Michigan and Michigan State. A preseason pick to win HE.
                                Thursday was a sellout 6,158
                                Friday was a sellout 5,998
                                Over the course of both nights Penn State out-shot UML 74-72
                                They played UMass Lowell even in a 2-3 loss on Friday night
                                Their current goalie is 3-2-1 with 2.65/.914
                                They don't quit .... no one sided scores.
                                The UML coach sang their praises after escaping without a loss.

As I recall they played us very tough last year. They look to be bigger but lack our speed. They are improving rapidly and we are the last non-conference before they start league play in the Big Ten.
                                @PennStateMHKY — Coach Gadowsky's postgame press conference after Friday's 3-2 loss to UMass Lowell. http://t.co/ubckKuynbh
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7G...8A8532EC4777FA

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men_hockey/article_969b3b2e-4ec2-11e3-a278-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=story

There are no soft spots on our schedule. Thus far next to Colgate, we have the toughest schedule (highest SOS) in the ECAC. If we continue winning this will help us pairwise. We did not respect Connecticut. We had better respect Penn State. The time to start preparing is now.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X