X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Originally posted by HockeyFan22 View Post
    Is it true Assistant coaches got fired because they were recruiting players who couldn't gain admission?
    Why don't you give us the asst coach and the example that your statement refers to? Otherwise, get a life and stop trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Why don't you give us the asst coach and the example that your statement refers to? Otherwise, get a life and stop trolling.
      How is that trolling? Its a legitimate question.
      I am curious.

Was referring to Fortunato, Plant, Magnus who were the recruits.
      Last edited by HockeyFan22; 12-07-2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I am curious.

If you are referring to Albie O'Connell, I have no specifics or inside information on whether he was fired or decided to leave. Rob Rassey is still here and I think he was brought in to help with the recruiting. Paul Pearl was hired as an Associate Head Coach which tells me that someone in the administration thought it was a good idea to give Teddy some help. The results so far speak to the wisdom of that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          If you are referring to Albie O'Connell, I have no specifics or inside information on whether he was fired or decided to leave. Rob Rassey is still here and I think he was brought in to help with the recruiting. Paul Pearl was hired as an Associate Head Coach which tells me that someone in the administration thought it was a good idea to give Teddy some help. The results so far speak to the wisdom of that decision.
          Agreed! The team looks great.
          The depth is certainly there throughout the lineup!
          Hopefully the team can keep it up and compete hard every night!

Comment

I am curious.

Coming onto a Website and making blind statements without any details regarding people getting fired is trolling. It's either that or someone seeking some attention.

Harvard's Academic Index is communicated to recruits. Often, when you see a heralded recruit who has yet to commit to a school....that is because they are trying to attain the SAT, GPA, SAT II to get into Harvard.

I can't speak to Magnus, but my understanding with Plant and Fortunato is that both very much wanted to attend Harvard, but were not able to meet the academic threshold. Harvard has lost many a recruit over the years because of this.

Comment

The Beanpot is going to be such an exciting tourney to watch this year.
              The team is playing really well. Also BU is alot stronger, and BC is always a contender.
              Hopefully Northeastern stays competitive. If they do, it could get interesting!

Comment

http://ecachockey.com/men/members/ha...arvard_is_Back

Great article on The team and the culture change.

Comment

Here is the article without going through the ECAC site
                  http://hockeythisweek.com/harvard-hockey-theyre-baaack/
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

As a Harvard Hockey alum, happy so far

Comment

It is a great article although it was surprising to see so much emphasis on the Beanpot. Personally, I could care less about winning it - it does nothing for us in March when the real fun begins.

What I liked was how there seems to be real camaraderie on the team and a looseness that begets confidence. Pearl obviously has made a big difference and not just with the D-men. You can see how the team's system is different and how they look to set plays instead of dump and chase. I loved Billy's comment about February. He's right of course. And we still haven't beaten Yale.

Comment

It is a great article although it was surprising to see so much emphasis on the Beanpot. Personally, I could care less about winning it - it does nothing for us in March when the real fun begins.
                        Beanpot schools winning the national championship since the Beanpot's inception in 1952...
                        Harvard 1989
                        Boston College 2001, 2008, 20010, 2012
                        Boston University 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

All of these teams won the Beanpot the year of their NC.
                        No Beanpot school has ever won a national title in a year they lost the Beanpot. Just sayin'.

Of course, if the goal is to just have fun in March, you're all set.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

“High expectations are the key to everything.” – Sam Walton

The truth is, you don’t get what you deserve. You get what you expect.

In one of the most surprising studies of the impact of expectations, in 1964 Harvard Professor Robert Rosenthal did an experiment with an elementary school south of San Francisco. The idea was to understand what would happen if teachers were told that certain kids were exceptional students and had very high IQ’s. And, these kids were chosen completely at random. There was nothing significantly different about them from the other students in the class, but teachers were told they were highly intelligent and needed to be challenged intellectually in the classroom.

Over the next two years, Rosenthal discovered that the teachers’ expectations really did affect the students’ performance. The students actually tested higher on all subsequent tests, including IQ tests.

http://www.humanfactorformula.com/bl...sitive-results
                          https://harvardleadership.wordpress....om-sam-walton/
                          https://hbr.org/1985/03/from-control...workplace/ar/4
                          http://awesomeculture.com/2011/10/03...rforming-team/

The key is to get the players/team leaders to hold high expectations of themselves ..... this Harvard team is starting to remind me a lot of last year's Dutchmen, only a lot more skilled.

Just a reminder, the Frozen Four is in Boston this year ..... that would really be something if Harvard could make it ..... along with 3 other ECAC teams of course ..... as the "hockey gods always intended it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpV...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 12-12-2014, 03:44 PM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            Beanpot schools winning the national championship since the Beanpot's inception in 1952...
                            Harvard 1989
                            Boston College 2001, 2008, 20010, 2012
                            Boston University 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

All of these teams won the Beanpot the year of their NC.
                            No Beanpot school has ever won a national title in a year they lost the Beanpot. Just sayin'.

Of course, if the goal is to just have fun in March, you're all set.
                            You fail to mention the years where teams won the Beanpot and never got to the national championship game. Harvard won it in '93 but lost in the first round of the NCAAs. We lost the Beanpot championship the following year yet made it to the Frozen Four.

I'd still rather have an NCAA tournament championship. Especially this year as it is in Boston and it looks like the Bruins are headed for hockey's scrap heap.

Comment

You fail to mention the years where teams won the Beanpot and never got to the national championship game. Harvard won it in '93 but lost in the first round of the NCAAs. We lost the Beanpot championship the following year yet made it to the Frozen Four.

I'd still rather have an NCAA tournament championship. Especially this year as it is in Boston and it looks like the Bruins are headed for hockey's scrap heap.
                              Why bother to mention those years? BC and BU have won many Beanpots and not a NC that same year. But, the fact is, no Beanpot school has EVER won a national title without winning the Beanpot that same year. Not saying it can't happen, just sayin'.

Beanpot is a big stage, hostile environment, teams playing at tournament championship level. It's ok for you to not care about it, but if your team doesn't care about it, well maybe they just aren't ready to be prime time players.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                                Why bother to mention those years? BC and BU have won many Beanpots and not a NC that same year. But, the fact is, no Beanpot school has EVER won a national title without winning the Beanpot that same year. Not saying it can't happen, just sayin'.

Beanpot is a big stage, hostile environment, teams playing at tournament championship level. It's ok for you to not care about it, but if your team doesn't care about it, well maybe they just aren't ready to be prime time players.
                                I think Harvard has demonstrated so far that they are more than up for being prime time players. The Beanpot is a local tournament for the four Boston schools. The NCAA brings together schools from across the country. I'm not saying that playing in the Beanpot is a bad thing or that the team shouldn't care. Obviously they will try and win it. From a national perspective however, playing and and winning the NCAAs is far more important to me personally. Especially where the Frozen Four is in Boston this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X