• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    they never were under the radar
    those that know hockey knew they were/are a very good team
    Apparently the ECAC coaches (who voted them to come in 9th or 10th in the league) don't know a lot about hockey

Comment

they never were under the radar
      those that know hockey knew they were/are a very good team
      Those who know hockey were picking them to finish at or near the bottom of the ECAC. How is that knowing they would be a very good team? Or a ranked team for that matter? There were zero expectations for Harvard this year. Sorry, but the Crimson are this year's surprise team by a mile. No one, and I mean no one, saw this coming. Not even those of us who drink the Kool Aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        Those who know hockey were picking them to finish at or near the bottom of the ECAC. How is that knowing they would be a very good team? Or a ranked team for that matter? There were zero expectations for Harvard this year. Sorry, but the Crimson are this year's surprise team by a mile. No one, and I mean no one, saw this coming. Not even those of us who drink the Kool Aid.
        Agreed. Harvard has had oodles of raw talent for years and under Teddy they never seemed to develop it. There was no reason to think this year would be any different. The other team in the conversation is SLU, and some of us (cough) were picking them to do OK.

It's early and the Crimson can still crash and burn, but from what I've heard not only are they winning but they look like they know what they're doing, at least on offense. And even a 5th or 6th place finish would still land them a solid 5 slots higher than anybody picked them for.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was stressed out the whole game. Really glad H got the win, Michalek kept them in it the whole time. His glove was spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            Apparently the ECAC coaches (who voted them to come in 9th or 10th in the league) don't know a lot about hockey

Pre season is worthless++
            I saw it early but they have come around, trust me. After Union and RPI weekend they were no longer a secret

Comment

Nice game by the Crimson, they hung in there, thanks to Michalek who was almost flawless. Gave up the shot on the stick side and BU seemed to be aiming for that side after that. They were outskated by BU almost the entire third period, but held them off and played with some energy in overtime. Some bad luck on BU's PP goal when a Harvard player's stick broke, and Harvard could not clear the puck.

What a talent Eichel is, an effortless skater, did not have many scoring chances, but it will be interesting to see him develop.

I will be convinced that Harvard's for real when they play BU in the Beanpot opener, but they play a more disciplined style of hockey than in preceding years and wonder if that is Pearl's influence on the team.

I see the season ticket holder of the game gets a three night hotel stay. The season ticket holder of the game at Harvard gets a mug and a foam finger.

Comment

I think it can also be said that the ECAC has the best stable of goalies in D-1. Going to be many more low scoring games withiin the conference.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Agreed. Harvard has had oodles of raw talent for years and under Teddy they never seemed to develop it. There was no reason to think this year would be any different. The other team in the conversation is SLU, and some of us (cough) were picking them to do OK.

It's early and the Crimson can still crash and burn, but from what I've heard not only are they winning but they look like they know what they're doing, at least on offense. And even a 5th or 6th place finish would still land them a solid 5 slots higher than anybody picked them for.
                  Totally agree with this. On paper, Harvard should be a top 5 team and should only get better next year. However, this could be said about most of the past 5 seasons when they haven't been that good. This is going to be an interesting year. There are only two teams that seem to be imploding - Brown and Princeton. Not sure either of them can dig out unless they find a way to score goals fast. With the other 10 teams I think you could almost pick names out of a hat and do just as well predicting. SLU has been a bigger surprise than Harvard being picked 11th and in a solid second at the moment and beating the then 4th and 10th ranked teams, but I think this is fragile. A lot of teams are only one key injury away from a big fall. If Anas or TSD at Q-suck, Michalek or Vesey at Harvard, Lowry at Cornell, Hayton at SLU, as examples get hurt I could envision an implosion for any. I think, to some extent, that has occurred at Colgate with several key injuries.

As for now, that was a great win by Harvard against a BU team that's been hard to beat. I am guessing you just made Colgate's job harder with them having BU up next, but it's great a Beanpot school upset them in their own rink.

Finally, there hasn't been a season in the last 30 that Harvard hasn't had some dangerous players that can beat you on any given night. It's not possible for Harvard to sneak up on anyone in my opinion. But I don't make predictions.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    Lowry at Cornell
                    We already had our implosion (Joakim Ryan). We are frankly lucky to be at .500 without him.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Congrats on a great win. The ECAC keeps this up and the Networks might be forced to show more than a token National Broadcast a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        I think it can also be said that the ECAC has the best stable of goalies in D-1. Going to be many more low scoring games withiin the conference.
                        Don't agree with that. Hockey East has 5/6 of the best.
                        Gillies, PC
                        Demko, BC
                        O'Connor, BU
                        VT goalie
                        Merrimack

Are better than any in ECAC with the exception of Harvard's goalie

Comment

Originally posted by Brown2k View Post
                          Congrats on a great win. The ECAC keeps this up and the Networks might be forced to show more than a token National Broadcast a year.
                          If winning the last 2 NCAA titles didn't help...

... but really I think those decisions are driven by the size of fan bases and assumptions about ratings, and the ECAC can't compete with Large Midwestern State University.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Don't agree with that. Hockey East has 5/6 of the best.
                            Gillies, PC
                            Demko, BC
                            O'Connor, BU
                            VT goalie
                            Merrimack

Are better than any in ECAC with the exception of Harvard's goalie
                            Maybe based on draft position, but certainly not based on current season statistics. Vermont has two goalies splitting time that are up there statistically, but in every goaltending category its Western teams like UNO, Michigan Tech, N. Michigan and ECAC schools notably Gillam, Michalek, Hayton and Lyons. A broken clock is right more than you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                              Maybe based on draft position, but certainly not based on current season statistics. Vermont has two goalies splitting time that are up there statistically, but in every goaltending category its Western teams like UNO, Michigan Tech, N. Michigan and ECAC schools notably Gillam, Michalek, Hayton and Lyons. A broken clock is right more than you.
                              And all of the NHL guys who drafted them are wrong as well. You moron

If Gillies, Demko or O'Connor go west, they are number one goalie day one

Comment

And all of the NHL guys who drafted them are wrong as well. You moron

If Gillies, Demko or O'Connor go west, they are number one goalie day one
                                Okay, so you have seen all the guys at Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, UNO? Etc. I mean, why wouldn't you....Marquette and Houghton are just around the corner from everywhere so I am sure you are not talking out your ***.

Did I say they were wrong? Some of the guys you mentioned have been sick / injured this season. I guess you think all the people that voted for Motte for Hobey were wrong too. If you wisdom wasn't completely out of whack with your arrogance, you might be tolerable.

Comment

Working...
                                X