This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Harvard recruit Adam Plant made the Canada West World Junior Team. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Harvard recruit Adam Plant made the Canada West World Junior Team. Congrats!
      http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...its-to-harvard

Harvard picks up a recruit from USHL
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...its-to-harvard

Harvard picks up a recruit from USHL
        And thanks to playing with McCrea at Waterloo, he continues our 2-3 degrees of separation policy of recruiting. Same with Plant and Lloyd coming from West Kelowna next year.
        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Good game tonight at Bright-Landry. RPI had the better of the play in the first and third periods and we dominated in the second. Raffi was solid all night seeing the puck through traffic and staying square to the shooter. He gave RPI nothing to look at. Hope this is an omen for the season.

We are still having problems passing the puck and generating consistent pressure in the offensive zone. Not to mention that the Ford-Jaw D pairing is less than stable. In fact it is downright scary sometimes to see how opposing teams attack that pairing sending two and three men deep and watching them cough it up.

The freshmen are getting a taste of the speed of D-1 hockey and at times they really look bewildered at how they can have the puck one moment and the next, they are watching the opposition skate up ice while they try and catch up. They'll get it eventually.

Union blasted Dartmouth tonight in Hanover so I'm not too optimistic about tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Good game tonight at Bright-Landry. RPI had the better of the play in the first and third periods and we dominated in the second. Raffi was solid all night seeing the puck through traffic and staying square to the shooter. He gave RPI nothing to look at. Hope this is an omen for the season.

We are still having problems passing the puck and generating consistent pressure in the offensive zone. Not to mention that the Ford-Jaw D pairing is less than stable. In fact it is downright scary sometimes to see how opposing teams attack that pairing sending two and three men deep and watching them cough it up.

The freshmen are getting a taste of the speed of D-1 hockey and at times they really look bewildered at how they can have the puck one moment and the next, they are watching the opposition skate up ice while they try and catch up. They'll get it eventually.

Union blasted Dartmouth tonight in Hanover so I'm not too optimistic about tomorrow.
            Skate79,

A shutout of the projected #1 team in the ECAC that already has wins vs BU & UNH....don't you think there should be a tad more optimism about the game and Union tomorrow?

If you were there, curious to hear your take of Kerfoot and Malone.

Anybody know when Blackwell is coming back?

Comment

With such a young lineup(13 underclassmen) and only three games into the season, Harvard looked pretty solid. The ups/downs are inevitable, but I really like the grit and heart they are playing with to start the season. A ton of blocked shots and four lines with skill. To take 3 of 4 points from RPI without two of their top D is a very good sign. The PP continues to struggle. If they can stay healthy, they can be a top 4 team.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                Skate79,

A shutout of the projected #1 team in the ECAC that already has wins vs BU & UNH....don't you think there should be a tad more optimism about the game and Union tomorrow?

If you were there, curious to hear your take of Kerfoot and Malone.

Anybody know when Blackwell is coming back?
                Both,
                I can't really be that much more optimistic given that RPI had some great chances in this game and Raffi stood tall. We really didn't generate much in the way of offense - witness a two man advantage for 1:50 and we got one, yes one, shot on goal. That just isn't going to cut it most nights. And no, I don't like our chances against Union. This is a very young team that will eventually grow into a very good team. But we are not there yet.

Malone and Kerfoot are the best of the frosh. Both have speed and creativity. Esposito isn't far behind. Very smooth skater and good on face-offs. Same with Malone and Kerfoot. I like the fact that Teddy mixed up the lines and had Espo centering Valek and Gozzo. And speaking of guys who are coming on, Gozzo is making himself into a nice aggressive forward. He was a pain in the neck to RPI all night. They tried everything to get away from him but he just kept coming back at them. His motor is one of the best on the team.

Comment

Big win last night. Just need a tie to get the 3 of 4 I asked for at the beginning of the week. Maybe I'll actually get to watch some of this game.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

I was very optimistic that Harvard would win tonight but today was another reminder of why it's so easy to be a Harvard football fan and so hard to be a Harvard hockey fan. The football team wins most of their games, tends to pull out close games, only loses to quality teams once in a while, wins championships every few years, and beats Yale just about every year. So tonight, they pulled out a close one in the last minute. And it's wonderful that it was a night game, because that meant that fewer people would have to go to the hockey game and be reminded of why it's so HARD to be Harvard hockey fan. Harvard is coached by a Harvard hockey hero, but one who should have been fired as coach years ago, as I've said before on this board.

Donato has the hottest goalie in the country -- roughly 60 shots and no goals -- and he puts in a winless goalie who gave up three goals in his first game. Harvard is on the verge of being nationally ranked after years of horrors, and once again, Teddy can't get out of his way. It doesn't take a genius to know that Girard should have started tonight; it takes a firm command of the obvious. If it seems a little early to go on a cyber tirade against the coach, all I can say is that, after seven years, I have no patience left. Donato had a nice championship in 2006 with Mazz's players, but since then, we all know the story and the pain. Thank God Alex Killorn single-handedly made one season close to satisfying. We came in 12th last year, everyone. 12th out of 12. And Yale won the national championship. There is no excuse for the decision Donato made tonight, and no excuse for why he is still behind the bench, if winning means anything, and I'm sure it does to the kids. I hope Harvard has a great year this year. I would love to be proven wrong. But tonight seems like a terrible sign that this will be another forgettable year in the once-proud tradition of Harvard hockey. But hey, at least the football team is 6-1.
                    Last edited by 4faz; 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4faz View Post
                      I was very optimistic that Harvard would win tonight but today was another reminder of why it's so easy to be a Harvard football fan and so hard to be a Harvard hockey fan. The football team wins most of their games, tends to pull out close games, only loses to quality teams once in a while, wins championships every few years, and beats Yale just about every year. So tonight, they pulled out a close one in the last minute. And it's wonderful that it was a night game, because that meant that fewer people would have to go to the hockey game and be reminded of why it's so HARD to be Harvard hockey fan. Harvard is coached by a Harvard hockey hero, but one who should have been fired as coach years ago, as I've said before on this board.

Donato has the hottest goalie in the country -- roughly 60 shots and no goals -- and he puts in a winless goalie who gave up three goals in his first game. Harvard is on the verge of being nationally ranked after years of horrors, and once again, Teddy can't get out of his way. It doesn't take a genius to know that Girard should have started tonight; it takes a firm command of the obvious. If it seems a little early to go on a cyber tirade against the coach, all I can say is that, after seven years, I have no patience left. Donato had a nice championship in 2006 with Mazz's players, but since then, we all know the story and the pain. Thank God Alex Killorn single-handedly made one season close to satisfying. We came in 12th last year, everyone. 12th out of 12. And Yale won the national championship. There is no excuse for the decision Donato made tonight, and no excuse for why he is still behind the bench, if winning means anything, and I'm sure it does to the kids. I hope Harvard has a great year this year. I would love to be proven wrong. But tonight seems like a terrible sign that this will be another forgettable year in the once-proud tradition of Harvard hockey. But hey, at least the football team is 6-1.
                      Harvard played extremely well tonight and totally out-skated, out-shot and outscored us in the first period. Just before the Dartmouth game we returned 3 key players including our goalie who was mugged by Bowling Green in the first period of the first game. At one point we were out 6 key players. I have seen Union play all their games this year including Bowling Green and Lake Superior and the best team I have seen them play thus far is Harvard. When the dust settles and its down to 4 my betting is that Harvard will still be standing. You are loaded with talent. it just needs to come together. No need to despair.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Few coaches play the hot hand early in the season when there is not a clear-cut #1. These are two very good goalies and Donato is likely going to play a rotation until 2014. If you disagree with this strategy, you should not only call for Donato's head but also some knucklehead coach at BC.

Comment

Recap of tonight's Union-Harvard game

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...r-goals-record
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            Harvard played extremely well tonight and totally out-skated, out-shot and outscored us in the first period. Just before the Dartmouth game we returned 3 key players including our goalie who was mugged by Bowling Green in the first period of the first game. At one point we were out 6 key players. I have seen Union play all their games this year including Bowling Green and Lake Superior and the best team I have seen them play thus far is Harvard. When the dust settles and its down to 4 my betting is that Harvard will still be standing. You are loaded with talent. it just needs to come together. No need to despair.
                            I'd say we played really well for the 1st period only. We did not look great in the 2nd or 3rd. The 2nd especially. It was all Union and it never felt like we were going to tie that game after that period, Zielonka's one chance the exception.

I was a little surprised by not riding Girard. I understand the logic behind it but I can also disagree with it. To call Michalek winless heading into the game though is ridiculous since he was also undefeated when heading into the net.

Hopefully this team will do relatively well in the next 5 games and then really pick it up when McNally and Everson get back. Jaw needs to not be on our top D pair anymore and our PP was a bit of a disjointed mess from what I saw last night. We need McNally to take the puck up the ice in those situations.

Bring on SLU and Clarkson.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

And Yale won the national championship. There is no excuse for the decision Donato made tonight, and no excuse for why he is still behind the bench, if winning means anything, and I'm sure it does to the kids. I hope Harvard has a great year this year. I would love to be proven wrong. But tonight seems like a terrible sign that this will be another forgettable year in the once-proud tradition of Harvard hockey. But hey, at least the football team is 6-1.
                              I think we would all love to be proven wrong. The games against RPI showed that we can play with top teams in our conference and with 13 underclassmen, it will take a while for everything to jell. Teddy has his flaws, no question about it. I think a bigger question is; will the administration do what it takes to build a coaching staff if Teddy is asked to leave that can compete both on the ice and in the recruiting wars? Because while we are bringing in some quality talent, we still don't have enough to win these games against teams like Union. We are getting there and maybe a new coach with a sound system will get the most out of these kids. One thing's for sure. If we are one and done in the playoffs again this year, I think that a change will be made.

Comment

We haven't had much to cheer about these last few years. I get it. But let's try and rise above and not succumb to calling for the coach's head 3 games into the season, in what has been a very good start.

This is a young team (that is only going to get better - both as they gain experience and as they are joined by future talent) and I think that the best way we can help them is by offering up our support.

No one knows how this season will go, but if we can evade the injury bug, we know that we are getting much better on the blue line and on the power play with the addition of McNally and Everson.

Let's stay positive and see what type of team these guys can become!

Comment

Working...
                                X