This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Great way to start the spring and summer. More decommits. Why don't we just shut the program down while we're at it or get a bunch of biochem majors to suit up so we can all be happy that the AI is preserved and untainted? Next to go: Vesey. He won't stick around with a sinking ship. Nashville will make the call sooner rather than later.
    why would any kid leave before they get their degree. So they can squander in minors than become a mailman. thise that leave should never have come in the first place

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      why would any kid leave before they get their degree. So they can squander in minors than become a mailman. thise that leave should never have come in the first place
      It's not like they can't finish up their courses while they play hockey elsewhere. Now a days it's not even like you only need summer classes. One can do directed or online classes during the hockey season (assuming one has an innernet connection in wheeling WVa)
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

I hear they are all de committing and BC is now rostering 50 players.

Comment

no no no. if you want the school with a gazillion recruits lined up, that would be quinn and bu

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            More than likely, the NHL team that owns their rights puts pressure on them to leave early or risk losing a chance to make the big club. What's interesting is that Harvard's most successful pro players all stayed for four years and two of them are in the playoffs at the moment (Dom Moore '03 and Craig Adams '99). I just think Vesey will look long and hard at this situation and probably leave after next season. You can only take so much losing before it gets to you.

Comment

Harvard's loss is Denver's gain. Adam Plant is heading to Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                It wasn't just athletes who were caught in that scandal. Regular students were also caught and punished. The athletes are more visible and thus get more attention from the press. And if the standards got tougher for athletes, Amaker would have bolted for another program.

Make no mistake, the admissions committee knows what they are looking for in a prospective student, athlete or non athlete. The University takes great pride in winning Ivy titles and right now, the basketball program is hip, trendy, whatever you want to call it and hockey has taken a back seat. Scalise just doesn't give a rat's #ss about hockey and as long as he is indifferent, the program will suffer. Money will pour into a new facility for basketball and I'm sure that Amaker has Scalise's full backing with admissions. Teddy on the other hand must feel like the captain of the Titantic. Decommits all over the place, difficulty getting the kids he wants and lack of a strong coaching staff. It will lead to more last place finishes until and unless Scalise has a change of heart or he is removed as AD. Let's face it, when Billy was AD, hockey was going to be a priority albeit in the hands of less than stellar coaches.
                Not looking to flame your thread. I have followed ECAC hockey for a long time and have seen nearly every team{including mine} have an off ice incident that embarrassed the school. In a few cases I know for sure that the school responded in a behind the scenes way by taking the magic out of the admission wand. This move always leads to less talent and fewer wins. Lack of on ice success allows them to fire the coach a few years down the road which is what they really wanted to do in the first place. So perhaps Ted is a dead man walking.?

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                  Not looking to flame your thread. I have followed ECAC hockey for a long time and have seen nearly every team{including mine} have an off ice incident that embarrassed the school. In a few cases I know for sure that the school responded in a behind the scenes way by taking the magic out of the admission wand. This move always leads to less talent and fewer wins. Lack of on ice success allows them to fire the coach a few years down the road which is what they really wanted to do in the first place. So perhaps Ted is a dead man walking.?
                  That may be the case regarding Donato but why set him up to fail? It doesn't reflect well on the school and what coach worth their salt would consider Harvard knowing that Teddy walked the plank so to speak?

The cheating scandal definitely hurt the school but clearly the basketball program has not suffered and I sincerely doubt there will be any long term damage to recruiting or overall program effectiveness. One cannot say the same about hockey. Something has to give and soon or it will be a long time before Harvard returns to national prominence. We've gone through three coaches now since Billy retired and it has been 20 years and counting since the last Frozen Four. Recruits are decommitting at an alarming rate and we no longer can successfully recruit against other Ivies, let along BC and BU (that ship may have sailed long ago). The program needs an overhaul and not just the coaching staff. Former players need to get involved and we have to be far more diligent in reaching out to find the players we need to win. That's how we found Stevie Martins and Allain Roy. We connected with people who found them and brought them to Harvard. More of that needs to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    That may be the case regarding Donato but why set him up to fail? It doesn't reflect well on the school and what coach worth their salt would consider Harvard knowing that Teddy walked the plank so to speak?
                    Because a new coach would want commitments to improvement the athletic dept. has earmarked for basketball instead. Whereas an alum and overall good guy isn't going to leave just because he's not getting total support from the powers that be. It is what it is - we've decided to hitch our horse to basketball for the time being. At this point, that team doing well gets more press than the fact that hockey is not and the majority of alums semm willing to be happy with basketball being king if it means hockey being diminished. I'm a diehard hockey fan and I can't even muster up anything more than acceptance of the status quo. If this is the tradeoff for a good basketball team in the AI system then this is what's going to happen.

I think that honestly the best we can hope at the moment for is that Teddy and his staff discover a hockey recruiting scheme akin to Moneyball - finding undervalued players that can get through admissions and at least bring us up into the upper half of the ECACs.
                    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                    Go Crimson!

Comment

Fortunato to BU. Sigh.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                        Fortunato to BU. Sigh.
                        Brutal for both Harvard & Fortunato. Surprised he would choose BU over BC and my guess is that BC had either no spots or no $ or both.

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                          Fortunato to BU. Sigh.
                          Sorry
                          Thanks
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            Brutal for both Harvard & Fortunato. Surprised he would choose BU over BC and my guess is that BC had either no spots or no $ or both.
                            Brutal? I thought you'd at least go Edgar Allan Poe on the commitment switch, Bothman.

"The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge."

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                              much more so for Fortunato

Comment

Originally posted by Hurl82 View Post
                                Brutal? I thought you'd at least go Edgar Allan Poe on the commitment switch, Bothman.

"The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge."
                                That's it, I'm bringing a cask of amontillado to the Beanpot. (Might make watching it more bearable.)
                                Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                                X