This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Just two more days to get your picks in the ECAC Pick the Awards: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ick-the-Awards
    Quinnipiac University '15
    ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
    ECAC Championship: 2016
    NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
    Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Fortunato no longer committed to Harvard. Not sure if AI related or by choice. Big loss!

Comment

no worries, you have teddy d. that's all you need.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Fortunato no longer committed to Harvard. Not sure if AI related or by choice. Big loss!
          Adam Plant and an unnamed forward are also apparently no longer committed to Harvard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
            Adam Plant and an unnamed forward are also apparently no longer committed to Harvard.
            Any idea why? Huge losses!

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Article on CHN didn't specify, but the word on Twitter from some reputable recruiting sources is that Fortunato got dinged by admissions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                Article on CHN didn't specify, but the word on Twitter from some reputable recruiting sources is that Fortunato got dinged by admissions.
                If they really want it, then they can retake the SAT

Comment

Who knows the future of Adam plant and Brandon fortunato. Perhaps they can retake the SAT to try and raise their scores. Perhaps it is more than that. Perhaps these are just rumors and nothing more.

In any event. We lost Calof to Princeton which isn't exactly a lower AI school whereas other Ivies have lower AIs (Cornell) and can admit kids that Harvard can not.

I wonder if this can be translated into Donato losing credibility with admissions / AD and that his lobby can no longer get 'fringe' kids through the turnstile.

Fortunato and plant were likely Donato's #1 & #2 recruits for next year. I just hope Bracco and Fox don't have 2nd thoughts as well (if the rumors are indeed true).

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    Now you know! Sorry I could not comment earlier.
                    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Calof had home school issues. Princeton never should have looked the other way. If that meets Ivy standards, I am going to have my Bulldog apply
                      Bracco and Fox will have zero issues, very good students. Braccos dad was dartmouth golaie, totally gets the school value

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        Fortunato and plant were likely Donato's #1 & #2 recruits for next year.
                        How long ago did they initially commit? We've had one or two guys decommit every year over the last 6 or 7 seasons. They had all been recruited >2 years out as opposed to the 1.5-2 players usually are. IMHO, guys are committing too early and then changing their plans. Commits, especially at non-scholarship schools, should probably all be treated as provisional until the final 6 months.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          How long ago did they initially commit? We've had one or two guys decommit every year over the last 6 or 7 seasons. They had all been recruited >2 years out as opposed to the 1.5-2 players usually are. IMHO, guys are committing too early and then changing their plans. Commits, especially at non-scholarship schools, should probably all be treated as provisional until the final 6 months.
                          Supposedly AI related so Harvard changing their plans, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            Calof had home school issues. Princeton never should have looked the other way. If that meets Ivy standards, I am going to have my Bulldog apply...
                            I know what you mean about home schooling sounding like a joke, but in the case of Calof the Ivies were looking at a pretty unique kid. First of all his pure speed-- there haven't been many faster skaters in the ECAC in the last 10 years. Second, the kid is very intelligent, but it's not always easily demonstrated in home schooling. Ivies view home schooling differently from school to school. If admissions challenges a coach to prove that a home schooled recruit is viable, the poor coach can be left grasping at straws. ( Calof took the ACT and did fairly well, but wouldn't take the SAT subject tests. ) The Calof family might say that a coach would have to get off his butt and really lobby hard to prove that their son merited admission, instead of just suggesting a year at prep school. But Calof's done well at Princeton-- he's no dumb jock--he didn't take the easy way out as a Chemical & Bio Engineering major. He did two high-profile internships while he was there. He really made the most of his years there as a student. In the meantime, he scored well over 100 pts for Princeton teams that at times sucked. I think you're right, Hokydad, that Princeton admissions may have looked the other way a little in his case, but things worked out well; I think they would gladly take him again.

Comment

i agree, i know the kid and coached him before. very bright. very talented. parents were nice, quirky but harmless. very granolaish, if thats a word.
                              think parents were professors

Comment

I think that if Fortunato really wants to go to Harvard, and it's an academics issue, there's a way. Didn't Alex Biega take the SATs several times until he finally got a score that met the AI?
                                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Working...
                                X