This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

G.O.W. You are on quite a roll, don't let us stop you. BTW there is a great difference between a Yale fan (townie like myself) and a Yale Man. Please do not insult me again!
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Trevor Fidler is no longer coming to Harvard. He's had a very disappointing stint in the USPHL (better competition relative to prep school) and my guess is that this is what's driving the decision (I assume that this decision was Harvard's, but that is pure speculation).

Hoky - any insights?

Curious to see if another D1 team will pursue.

Comment

You have until 7PM tonight to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs Round 1.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by ghostofwatson View Post
          "Rome wasn't built in a day." "Or so the peasant says"...

although I did spend part of my early youth in Rome, NY, and that looks like it might have been slapped together in a day or so. Bleak place.
          ha, ha. okay 1 pt for that. and that's it. you've made your point. sorta..
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Close the books on another dismal season. We apparently couldn't spring for Acela tickets for reinforcements for tonight's game leaving us shorthanded against a more talented squad. Yup, that's a good recipe for success. If changes aren't made, then I guess we can assume that the athletic department and administration simply don't care about the hockey program. Which is too bad. We simply aren't competitive anymore in either the ECAC or the Ivies. And considering the haul of Ivy League trophies this past season, it is even more egregious that Scalise looks the other way where men's hockey is concerned. Oh well... let's remember that we're all nice guys. At least that is what the security staff at Bright-Landry told me on my last visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              Close the books on another dismal season. We apparently couldn't spring for Acela tickets for reinforcements for tonight's game leaving us shorthanded against a more talented squad. Yup, that's a good recipe for success. If changes aren't made, then I guess we can assume that the athletic department and administration simply don't care about the hockey program. Which is too bad. We simply aren't competitive anymore in either the ECAC or the Ivies. And considering the haul of Ivy League trophies this past season, it is even more egregious that Scalise looks the other way where men's hockey is concerned. Oh well... let's remember that we're all nice guys. At least that is what the security staff at Bright-Landry told me on my last visit.
              From the Crimson: “I thought there was a great deal of improvement [this year],” Donato said. “I think we in general laid the foundation for what will be a more positive future.”

That about says it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
                From the Crimson: “I thought there was a great deal of improvement [this year],” Donato said. “I think we in general laid the foundation for what will be a more positive future.”

That about says it all.
                Was he talking about Harvard, or the rest of the ECAC relative to Harvard?
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  You still going to stand by Donato as a good decision to coach H hockey?!

Donato should do the right thing and quit... but with Junior coming in, that is highly improbable.

I said it SIX years ago, and I'll say it again, FIRE DONATO!!!!
                  Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 03-11-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Did I read that Harvard has to give Ted some time and not rush him out? This is year #10, right?

I don't get that.

Anyone who gets into bc can get into Harvard (since bc is a better school )
                    I can't think of any reason if Harvard doesn't have a coach who can develop a player that someone would pick bc over Harvard. Sure bright is a but worn, but conte is also old'ish.

Just dumbfounding that Harvard is so disappointing year after year after year..
                    HA! If you are a prep school kid, and a serious prospect in the NHL... you'll choose BC over Harvard. York is about to win his 6th NCAA, 5th at BC. Would a kid who is a serious NHLer "really" think's he'll be developed at Harvard under Donato?! No, of course not. That kid will not even compete for a meaningful Beanpot win. If you want to win games, be mentored and developed, BC has MASTERED the art; Parker did it in the late 80s/early 90s. Harvard, meh, you can have your degree; but the Brian Giontas, et. al. of he NHL, are doing quite well with hardware and careers.

Time to FIRE Donato!!!
                    Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      You can win at that age because of the quality of recruits. That is my point about BC getting the best players. Those guys don't have to spend 3yrs in junior to be relevant.

Harvard may have to employ a different strategy to compete as times have changed.
                      The "different strategy" would be to fire Ted Donato, or are you seriously still standing by him?

I hate to say I told you so, must be heart breaking especially coming from an HES guy, BUT I TOLD YOU DONATO COULD NEVER TURN IT AROUND!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        Trevor Fidler is no longer coming to Harvard. He's had a very disappointing stint in the USPHL (better competition relative to prep school) and my guess is that this is what's driving the decision (I assume that this decision was Harvard's, but that is pure speculation).

Hoky - any insights?

just that it is to bad, Harvard can make a difference in a kids life and I know they made many sacrafices to get him there. Life long best friend with Vesey and I know they both were hell bent on getting there. Fidlers dsd was one of the best high school players ever from mass and is the only player ever to lead BU all 4 years in scoring.

Knowing the relationship, I am sure Teddy tried very, very hard to make it work.

Can only assume it eas an index issue. I doubt usphl performance had anything to do with it.
                        Last edited by Hokydad; 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

Hoky - any insights?

by

just that it is to bad, Harvard can make a difference in a kids life and I know they made many sacrafices to get him there. Life long best friend with Vesey and I know they both were hell bent on getting there. Fidlers dsd was one of the best high school players ever from mass and is the only player ever to lead BU all 4 years in scoring.

Knowing the relationship, I am sure Teddy tried very, very hard to make it work.

Can only assume it eas an index issue. I doubt usphl performance had anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            by

That is too bad. I think Marc Biega (Merrimack) may have very well been a similar casualty of the Academic Index.

Comment

Only 3 days left to get your Quarterfinal Round Picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs.
                              You have until 7PM Friday.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

In an attempt to turn the page, and why I am optimistic, let's consider some facts & figures. The below assumes that all newcomers come to Harvard when they are scheduled to and that no one transfers or departs early.

Departures:
                                Raphael Girard (G)
                                David Valek (F) (6pts)
                                Dan Ford (D) (3pts)
                                Danny Fick (D) (1pt)

Harvard loses a total of 2 goals & 10 points off of this year's team. That translates into 5% of total points and 3% of total goals. Thats right - Harvard will look to make a significant push up the food chain next year with no team in the ECAC losing as little as Harvard.

Key Additions (Listed in order of anticipated impact):
                                Brandon Fortunato (D) - Leading defensive point getter on the USNDT - 18 Team who could even QB the powerplay as a frosh
                                Adam Plant (D) - Similar in makeup to Fortunato, but probably a little less battle tested in the BCHL
                                Alec McCrea (D) - Solid and steady, stay-at-home defenseman
                                Wiley Sherman (D) - Big 6'5'' defenseman that I project to take some time to transition to pace of D1 hockey (like most big defenseman require)
                                Seb Lloyd (F) - Forward out of the BCHL who I expect to perform like a Luke Esposito did this year
                                Jake Horton (F) - Don't know a lot about Jake, but imagine he will add depth as a frosh
                                Eddie Ellis (F) - a power forward who will also likely add depth as a frosh
                                Merrick Madsen (G) - Tough to project goalies. Flyers draft pick, but hard to imagine Michalek not grabbing the majority of mins next year

Here are some projected lines (The forwards will largely stay in tact from this past year)
                                Vesey - Malone - Hart
                                Kriscuolo - Kerfoot - Esposito
                                Lloyd - Gozzo - Zielonka
                                Moy - MacGregor - O'Regan/Horton/Jaw

Here are the Defenseman (This will be interesting as Harvard's D will be young, but very talented next year). Be lots of compettion on the blue line (10 D, 11 if you count Luzar).
                                McNally - Newell
                                Fortunato - Everson
                                Plant - Guiltinan

Extras - Bergin, McCrea, Sherman, Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X