Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Hello all!!
    I went here to check out what people were saying and found no one had started a thread yet.
    I am all ready for the season.

Season tickets received for both men's and women's hockey - check
    Parking pass received and with the tickets - check
    Had a peek at the roster -check
    ready to go!!

The regulars here know that Bright is being reconstructed. Has anyone been there lately and have any information on any disruption there. I am concerned about whether there has been a move or reduction for the ADA parking spots (I am being politically correct, apparently one should not say "disabled" or "handicapped" anymore.

Anyone have any information about the newer players??

Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Hello all!!
    I went here to check out what people were saying and found no one had started a thread yet.

ready to go!!

The regulars here know that Bright is being reconstructed. Has anyone been there lately and have any information on any disruption there. I am concerned about whether there has been a move or reduction for the ADA parking spots (I am being politically correct, apparently one should not say "disabled" or "handicapped" anymore.

I am concerned that the reconstruction cost is going to be tacked on to the ticket price
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      Hello all!!

ready to go!!

Harvard has as many questions as any team in the country heading in to 2013. Their head coach, 2 defensemen, and 1 forward are in the Olympic camp. Their leading goal scorer has graduated. That being said, their freshman class is as good as any in the country.There should be no problems in goal, Maschemayer was solid, and at times exceptional last year. The freshman Laing is talented, and at the very least should be a dependable backup. The forwards should be solid. It will be important for M. Parker and Doench, both who had good freshman years, to show continued improvement this year. Daniels has the potential to be as good as any freshman in the country, but missed the entire last season with a broken collar bone. If she is productive, that will be a huge addition. Frazier, a Canadian U18 defender, has been moved to forward. There are many questions on defense, but great potential. Edney will continue playing at a high level. Gedman is coming back from a bad injury and a missed season. It is crucial that she be able to play at a high level from the first day of the season. The freshmen Mastel and Rachlin are very talented. Mastel is strong on her skates, and has a great shot. Rachlin is a very strong skater, and should be a force as an offensive defenseman. It will be a real challenge for the interim coach to fit all these pieces together. The first 5-6 games will be crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        I am concerned that the reconstruction cost is going to be tacked on to the ticket price
        Maybe they will bury it in the parking fee.

Comment

While Daniels had a broken collarbone, she played part of last season I believe. However, she is somewhat fragile and has a history of injuries keeping her out of action for periods. She is somewhat fearless/reckless in how she plays the game and this has translated into injuries as she hasn't learned discretion/control yet. Perhaps moving up to the college ranks and additional maturity will result in a more measured approach to the game so that she can stay on the ice more.

Comment

Originally posted by COLD AS ICE View Post
            Harvard has as many questions as any team in the country heading in to 2013. Their head coach, 2 defensemen, and 1 forward are in the Olympic camp. Their leading goal scorer has graduated. That being said, their freshman class is as good as any in the country.There should be no problems in goal, Maschemayer was solid, and at times exceptional last year. The freshman Laing is talented, and at the very least should be a dependable backup. The forwards should be solid. It will be important for M. Parker and Doench, both who had good freshman years, to show continued improvement this year. Daniels has the potential to be as good as any freshman in the country, but missed the entire last season with a broken collar bone. If she is productive, that will be a huge addition. Frazier, a Canadian U18 defender, has been moved to forward. There are many questions on defense, but great potential. Edney will continue playing at a high level. Gedman is coming back from a bad injury and a missed season. It is crucial that she be able to play at a high level from the first day of the season. The freshmen Mastel and Rachlin are very talented. Mastel is strong on her skates, and has a great shot. Rachlin is a very strong skater, and should be a force as an offensive defenseman. It will be a real challenge for the interim coach to fit all these pieces together. The first 5-6 games will be crucial.
            Thanks for this. Can't help thinking what a potent mix this could be in 2014-15 with the return of Pucci, Picard and Fry ( . . . and Stone, natch)!

Comment

Originally posted by driventoit View Post
              Thanks for this. Can't help thinking what a potent mix this could be in 2014-15 with the return of Pucci, Picard and Fry ( . . . and Stone, natch)!
              Is it a given that we will be without Fry, Picard and Pucci? Not to take anything away from these players because they are all very talented but Pucci is coming off a severe concussion and I didn't realize Fry and Picard were under consideration. Not having Fry with Jillian Dempsey lost to graduation leaves the Crimson with some severe scoring problems.

This will be a bridge year to 2014-2015. The best we can hope for is that we finish sixth or seventh in the conference and pull an upset in the quarters. That would be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                Is it a given that we will be without Fry, Picard and Pucci?
                With one exception that I can recall, the players cut in advance of the Olympics have opted to sit out the remainder of the season and come back the next year. You'd know better how easy it is to enter a scholastic year midstream at Harvard. IIRC, last season someone said that both Gedman and Pucci had to drop out of their Harvard classes or they would have lost a year of varsity eligibility due to Harvard rules. Although with the concussion, Pucci may have had little choice in any case.

The best we can hope for is that we finish sixth or seventh in the conference and pull an upset in the quarters.
                Most expect your team to be better than that. You have a very good freshman class and other teams like Dartmouth and St. Lawrence lost key players as well to graduation or injury.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

With one exception that I can recall, the players cut in advance of the Olympics have opted to sit out the remainder of the season and come back the next year. You'd know better how easy it is to enter a scholastic year midstream at Harvard. IIRC, last season someone said that both Gedman and Pucci had to drop out of their Harvard classes or they would have lost a year of varsity eligibility due to Harvard rules. Although with the concussion, Pucci may have had little choice in any case.
                  It is actually fairly easy to re-enter at mid year. At most you've got course requirements in either the Core or your major to deal with and of course year long courses are out of the question. Since Harvard has gone to exams before Christmas, I don't think the players could suit up in January until the third week of the month.

Most expect your team to be better than that. You have a very good freshman class and other teams like Dartmouth and St. Lawrence lost key players as well to graduation or injury.
                  I hope that is the case but with an interim coach and a lack of scoring punch up front and a fairly young team, I'm not holding out much hope. They'll fight for sure but it will be hard to consistently win close games.

Comment

It is actually fairly easy to re-enter at mid year. At most you've got course requirements in either the Core or your major to deal with and of course year long courses are out of the question. Since Harvard has gone to exams before Christmas, I don't think the players could suit up in January until the third week of the month..
                    If I was a player in that position, would simply focus on academics for the second semester, train with the team, but not suit up to keep that full year of eligibility for a future season. It would accomplish two things, one get ahead/on top of things academically, potentially allowing for an easier to manage schedule the next season, and two, not lose out on half a season of college hockey. IIRC, you won't lose a year of eligibility, cause there is a provision in the rules, that for a member of an Olympic camp/National team, the 4 in 5 years clock stops counting for that season.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      If I was a player in that position, would simply focus on academics for the second semester, train with the team, but not suit up to keep that full year of eligibility for a future season. It would accomplish two things, one get ahead/on top of things academically, potentially allowing for an easier to manage schedule the next season, and two, not lose out on half a season of college hockey. IIRC, you won't lose a year of eligibility, cause there is a provision in the rules, that for a member of an Olympic camp/National team, the 4 in 5 years clock stops counting for that season.
                      Ivy League/Harvard rules don't always align with NCAA rules re: eligibility and redshirt years. Sometimes stricter/less flexible.

Comment

Oh no, first line center Armstrong's no longer listed on the roster. Does anyone know what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                          Oh no, first line center Armstrong's no longer listed on the roster. Does anyone know what happened?
                          I thought she had been made "C" for this season. And, she was ECAC top defensive forward last year.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                            I thought she had been made "C" for this season. And, she was ECAC top defensive forward last year.
                            In looking at the roster, Marissa Gedman is now the captain if Armstrong is no longer with the team. But Gedman is incorrectly listed as a senior - she is actually a junior because of last year's injury and year off.

This is going to be a very long year. No Fry, Picard, Pucci and now Armstrong. Hopefully the freshman class will develop as the year goes along.

Comment

The Crimson women looked decent against the McGill Martlets this afternoon. Not having pen or pencil with me I made no effort to figure out the lines but they appeared to be cycling a few freshmen in and out of the lines which makes a lot of sense in a non-league game at the start of the year. The penalty kill was able to kill off a 5 minute major on Sydney Damiels (elbowing but apparently no head contact as there was no misconduct).

Also for those who did not get there today, it appears that the only door you can enter ordinarily is the door on the side near Dillon and Palmer Dixon. For persons with disabilities you have to enter Gordon Track via the door facing the Stadium and then go through the track area and up a ramp and left to the elevator. It is not well marked and that is the route I use as I walk with a cane and am a bit afraid of the long concrete stairs. I have no idea how long the construction is going to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X