Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
    Stop eeling sorry for yourselves.........my alma mater, Clarkson, has won 1,357 games and NEVER won an NCAA championship!!!
    Exactly..........Fricker. And by beating LSSU in the quarters in 1991, Clarkson most likely stymied an all U. P. national title game between Lake Sate and Northern Michigan. Many long time Laker observers feel that our 1990-91 team was the best Laker team of all time and I would not disagree.

One correction..........in the last 30 years BC has had four successful seasons and LSSU and NoDak have each had three.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      Lakers being in 9th place isn't all that bad. They still have Alabama Huntsville below them. What is bad is next season this Laker team will be even worse than this years team and Alabama may finish ahead of them and now that is bad.
      With three freshman goaltenders, next year might be a challenge but I think we'll stay out of last place. One thing about Laker hockey is that over the past 30 years we have almost always had pretty good goaltending so let's hope that continues.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
        Wow Dude!.........quite a perspective. So, based on your view, let's say that if this year's Laker team finished in the top 3 in the WCHA, won the league tournament in GR, got into the NCAA tourney, and lost their first or second game in the NCAA....................you would count the season as a failure? I would think most Laker fans would think otherwise.

When Frank Anzalone took over in the 80s his first few seasons were failures. Then the Lakers surprised the college hockey world by beating St. Lawrence for the national title (while big guys Maine and Minn. sat in the stands). The next year (88-89) and the following (89-90) were failures. Frank was gone and Jackson was coach. Despite being ranked #1 in the nation most of the season with a 28 game unbeaten streak, the Lakers were upset in the quarterfinals by Clarkson. Season a Failure. Jackson redeemed himself by winning it all in 1992 but failed again in 1993, losing to Maine 5-4 in the final. Never mind that Sean Tallaire scored an unseen goal to tie it in the last minute, the season was a failure. He evened his record in 1994 by drubbing BU in the final. He never had a successful season again and left, turning the keys over to Scott Borek...............and the Lakers have had failed seasons ever since. Frank was all failure the 2nd time around........no NCAA titles.

One question. Why would Jackson want Borek to fail? You made that up, right?

Based on Laker Dude logic................Looking back 30 years, the Lakers have had three successful seasons and 27 failure seasons. Compared to all the other teams playing D-I, that's puts us at the top...........so why all the whining?.

Am I right, Bill?
        By Laker Dude's standards, yes.

Comment

With three freshman goaltenders, next year might be a challenge but I think we'll stay out of last place. One thing about Laker hockey is that over the past 30 years we have almost always had pretty good goaltending so let's hope that continues.
          Bill,with almost zero scoring ability coming back,the goaltending better have magical powers.

Comment

We'll have three new goalies next season, but not all will be freshmen. Megariotis has transferred in from Ohio State; he was on their roster last season but didn't see any ice time. He's sitting out this season and will be eligible to play next season. He will be a Junior academically. He was practicing with the Lakers the first half of this season, but injured his shoulder (I think?) over the holidays and is no longer practicing. Aldridge is coming in as a freshman. I think the plans are that Aldridge and Megariotis will fight it out for the #1 and #2 spots. I'm unsure of what the situation is for whoever will be the 3rd goalie. They may recruit another goalie and if so, he would be a freshman and maybe a recruited walk-on. There is another kid (Davis) in school now, a freshman I think, who has been practicing with the team lately now that Kapalka and Megariotis are both injured. He has NAHL experience although his stats there weren't that good. They could always make him the #3 goalie and not bother to recruit another guy at that position for next season. I don't know what to make of Megariotis. He played in the NAHL for Port Huron and had decent, not great, stats. But he couldn't crack the #2 spot at OSU last season as a freshman there, so how good is he? Hard to tell. I'm not sure if he decided to transfer to LSSU because of lack of playing time at OSU, the coaching change there, or both.

Comment

Wow Dude!.........quite a perspective. So, based on your view, let's say that if this year's Laker team finished in the top 3 in the WCHA, won the league tournament in GR, got into the NCAA tourney, and lost their first or second game in the NCAA....................you would count the season as a failure? I would think most Laker fans would think otherwise.

When Frank Anzalone took over in the 80s his first few seasons were failures. Then the Lakers surprised the college hockey world by beating St. Lawrence for the national title (while big guys Maine and Minn. sat in the stands). The next year (88-89) and the following (89-90) were failures. Frank was gone and Jackson was coach. Despite being ranked #1 in the nation most of the season with a 28 game unbeaten streak, the Lakers were upset in the quarterfinals by Clarkson. Season a Failure. Jackson redeemed himself by winning it all in 1992 but failed again in 1993, losing to Maine 5-4 in the final. Never mind that Sean Tallaire scored an unseen goal to tie it in the last minute, the season was a failure. He evened his record in 1994 by drubbing BU in the final. He never had a successful season again and left, turning the keys over to Scott Borek...............and the Lakers have had failed seasons ever since. Frank was all failure the 2nd time around........no NCAA titles.

Based on Laker Dude logic................Looking back 30 years, the Lakers have had three successful seasons and 27 failure seasons. Compared to all the other teams playing D-I, that's puts us at the top...........so why all the whining?.

Am I right, Bill?
              Jackson would want Borek to fail just to make himself look more successful.

Comment

Am I right, Bill?
                I get that the Lakers scored in the final minute of the 93 game, and the game should have gone to overtime. However, in 94 Northeastern scored in OT, and the Lakers should have been eliminated. That bounce evened itself out.

Comment

Bill,with almost zero scoring ability coming back,the goaltending better have magical powers.
                  A lot depends upon who they are able to recruit to replace Radke and Campbell. Scoring from the freshmen this season has been pretty decent, especially Globke and Clemment. But next season Globke won't be on a line with Radke and Campbell, so it will be an even better test to see what he is capable of. We'll need Ciotti to bounce back with a better season. Perfetto will be counted on to score more next season. If we can get two solid recruits to replace to replace Radke and Campbell, new guys who can step in and contribute right away, things might be better scoring wise than we might otherwise think. They have a forward coming in for a visit in the next week or week and a half, but I think he is a winger so he is probably targeted as a replacement for Campbell if he commits. We really need to recruit a good playmaking center to replace Radke though.

Defense is also going to be a question mark going into next season. We lose 4 of our top 6 D, so we need some really good recruits at that position. I think Roll and Renz sound like good catches so far. Also, Roque seems to think that Nathan Harris has a lot of potential on D, assuming he can bulk up and get stronger.

Comment

Bill , do you trust Roques opinions anymore ? Scoring has been an issue for 15 years now and for some insane reason , I don't think a miracle on ice happens and pucks find the back of the net next season.

Comment

Bill , do you trust Roques opinions anymore ? Scoring has been an issue for 15 years now and for some insane reason , I don't think a miracle on ice happens and pucks find the back of the net next season.
                      I assume you are referring to his opinion about Harris. I don't know what to make of it. Harris supposedly is a very good skater who ran into concussion problems last season while playing for the Soo Eagles. I don't think anyone else was interested in him as a result, and our coaches brought him in as a recruited walk-on. He's probably not getting any hockey scholarship money this season, so he's a gamble without any cost to the program. Nothing wrong with that. We'll just have to wait and see what he can do next season, assuming he does work on bulking up and getting stronger by then. I think the overall talent level has been increasing on the Lakers in recent seasons, but the end results haven't reflected that. Rather than comment on what I think about Roque's opinions, let me just say that I've come to believe that the problem is more of an issue of trust and confidence between the players and Roque.

Comment

Lakers must sweep UAA, split at NMU and sweep UAH considering our last two series are against the WCHA's two best teams.

The 4-6 conference record at home really hurts right now.
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Look how exciting the Lakers have made this season. First half of the season they were finding themselves in the top 15 in the nation for weeks and the second half of the season they are fighting to get out of the 9th spot to keep themselves in the play-offs. Just when you thought the Lakers were one of the better teams in the nation , the real team shows up and proves you wrong again.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                            Look how exciting the Lakers have made this season. First half of the season they were finding themselves in the top 15 in the nation for weeks and the second half of the season they are fighting to get out of the 9th spot to keep themselves in the play-offs. Just when you thought the Lakers were one of the better teams in the nation , the real team shows up and proves you wrong again.
                            It's a good thing this coach has his defenders on here and up at the college. Next year will be different. Year 10 under Jim Roque will be the best one yet. Just wait and see!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                              Anzalone is still the only coach that has been able to build the Lakers into a winning team.

Jackson is a large part of the reason why the Lakers program is where it is at today. He saw that the wheels were coming off and bailed ship when he could. He was also confident that Borek would fail, and that is why he pushed to have Borek take over in 97.
                              You're forgetting Ron Mason who initially built the Lakers into a winning program from scratch. True, they were playing NAIA hockey back then, but their first games against an NCAA Div 1 opponent were with Michigan Tech when they were one of the power teams (coached by John McInnis) in Div 1. Tech beat the Lakers in the Soo on a Friday night, and the Lakers turned around and beat Tech on their home ice the next night. So even though the Lakers were an NAIA team at the time, they showed they could compete with anyone.

As to Jeff Jackson wanting the Lakers to fail when he left, sorry I'm not buying it.

Comment

Jackson bailed because he was offered a huge increase in pay . Jacksons last season the team was 30 and 8 with a couple ties. Had Jackson come back with the talent that was still there and players he recruited stayed , the Lakers would have still been a team at the top. Jacksons last season at Lake State was his second best winning per-centage behind his first season of coaching.
                                Last edited by sm2pk; 02-02-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X