Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

I denounce kneejerk reactions, and as much as this weekends sweep really grinds my gears I will give JR slack (that he has not earned) and wait for the season to finish until I make a judgement on what I think should happen with this Laker program.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      I denounce kneejerk reactions, and as much as this weekends sweep really grinds my gears I will give JR slack (that he has not earned) and wait for the season to finish until I make a judgement on what I think should happen with this Laker program.
      Same here. Where the Lakers finish in the standings and/or how they do in the WCHA playoffs (if they make it) should tell us whether Roque should be back next season or not. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. There are still at least 14 games left.

At least the Lakers men's basketball team is on fire right now. 15-1 record right now, the best start in school history.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
        I don't think it is kneejerk reactions as if the complaint is just what has happened this season . I think the complaint is nine years and the program fighting every year to move up the standings but it doesn't . I think it is playing in a weaker league and they are still playing below 500 hockey in the new league and sinking fast. I think it is giving up two wins to a team that had not won since they last played the Lakers in November . I think every year we have no idea what team is going to show up to play and by the end of the season, it is always the one that can't win. I think as other teams get better as the year goes on,the Lakers seem to get worse. No kneejerk reactions. Just how many years to give a coach the chance to move up the standings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony
          Just maybe being a bottom dweller will just become the norm.
          Playing below 500 in a weaker league.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            I don't think it is kneejerk reactions as if the complaint is just what has happened this season . I think the complaint is nine years and the program fighting every year to move up the standings but it doesn't . I think it is playing in a weaker league and they are still playing below 500 hockey in the new league and sinking fast. I think it is giving up two wins to a team that had not won since they last played the Lakers in November . I think every year we have no idea what team is going to show up to play and by the end of the season, it is always the one that can't win. I think as other teams get better as the year goes on,the Lakers seem to get worse. No kneejerk reactions. Just how many years to give a coach the chance to move up the standings.
            At least 4 more years is needed for Jim Roque. The Administration and Athletic Director know what they are doing, by keeping him long term. They should be commended for their foresight. Year 9 under Jim Roque will be the best one yet at Lake Superior!!!

Comment

How does anyone expect to attract a good head coach by paying an assistant's salary? How does anyone expect top assistants by paying them peanuts? Fund the bottom of the barrel, you get the bottom of the barrel. See here's a hint. Blue chippers are not lining up to come to the Soo. Or Northern or Tech or Bemidji or Huntsville. This isn't 1993.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony
                The only coach that would be attracted to LSSU would be a D3 coach like Ron Forgerty who interviewed at UAA and UAH.

It is a matter of time before Forgerty coaches in the WCHA, He coaches at D3 Adrain.
                Ron is waiting out berensen in Ann arbor

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                  How does anyone expect to attract a good head coach by paying an assistant's salary? How does anyone expect top assistants by paying them peanuts? Fund the bottom of the barrel, you get the bottom of the barrel. See here's a hint. Blue chippers are not lining up to come to the Soo. Or Northern or Tech or Bemidji or Huntsville. This isn't 1993.
                  LSSU has put education first, hockey second. There is no way the Administration is going to devote more funds to paying the head coach a better salary, no matter who wants to come here. The reality is we either accept this fact going forward or jump ship. Dream all you want, but this is the cold, hard, truth.

Unless, that is, we have any donors willing to throw some bucks at coaching salaries? .....Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                    Unless, that is, we have any donors willing to throw some bucks at coaching salaries? .....Not a chance.
                    I wouldn't go that far. There is always a chance, even if somewhat unlikely. We have a donor group that is putting a lot of money into upgrading the Norris Center, principally but not exclusively hockey upgrades. Plus the same donor established a matching gift program for hockey. And lets not forget that Doug Weight made a sizable endowment contribution several years ago. So there is the possibility of some donor "throwing some more bucks" into the program for coaching salaries. I'm not saying I think it will happen, but I don't think it can be ruled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      We have a donor group that is putting a lot of money into upgrading the Norris Center, principally but not exclusively hockey upgrades.
                      The Norris Center project has been great since its launch this July. They must have added at least 1000 new empty seats at the games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        I wouldn't go that far. There is always a chance, even if somewhat unlikely. We have a donor group that is putting a lot of money into upgrading the Norris Center, principally but not exclusively hockey upgrades. Plus the same donor established a matching gift program for hockey. And lets not forget that Doug Weight made a sizable endowment contribution several years ago. So there is the possibility of some donor "throwing some more bucks" into the program for coaching salaries. I'm not saying I think it will happen, but I don't think it can be ruled out.
                        There is a chance I win the lottery too.

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying go out and pay big bucks to get the program back. I think most see that after 9 years new blood is needed for coaching to try and change the seasons results that we have been getting for 9 years now. I think a lot of people still believe if a coach comes in and does good at Lake State , it opens the door for him all over college hockey to move on to a bigger program and better pay. I still like to think ,you work hard,you produce ,and you are rewarded with bigger programs and better pay.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                            I don't think anyone is saying go out and pay big bucks to get the program back. I think most see that after 9 years new blood is needed for coaching to try and change the seasons results that we have been getting for 9 years now. I think a lot of people still believe if a coach comes in and does good at Lake State , it opens the door for him all over college hockey to move on to a bigger program and better pay. I still like to think ,you work hard,you produce ,and you are rewarded with bigger programs and better pay.
                            Some are saying big bucks is what it will take. Did Ron Mason, Rick Comley, Frank Anzalone, or Jeff Jackson make big bucks when they became head coaches at LSSU. I don't think so!

Comment

from Hockey Night in Canada's Elliotte Freidman:

At this time of year, I always like to see what's out there regarding NCAA free agents, but it looks like there isn't as highly regarded a prospect as Danny DeKeyser or Justin Schultz this time around. James van Riemsdyk's brother, Trevor, a defenceman at New Hampshire, is a name I've heard a bit, as is Lake Superior State blue-liner (and broadcaster nightmare) Kevin Czuczman. van Riemsdyk attended a Flyers rookie camp, while Czuczman has skated with the Sabres.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...ask-ahead.html

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                                from Hockey Night in Canada's Elliotte Freidman:

At this time of year, I always like to see what's out there regarding NCAA free agents, but it looks like there isn't as highly regarded a prospect as Danny DeKeyser or Justin Schultz this time around. James van Riemsdyk's brother, Trevor, a defenceman at New Hampshire, is a name I've heard a bit, as is Lake Superior State blue-liner (and broadcaster nightmare) Kevin Czuczman. van Riemsdyk attended a Flyers rookie camp, while Czuczman has skated with the Sabres.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...ask-ahead.html
                                I think it's pretty much a given that Czuczman won't be back next season. A lot of rebuilding to do on D next season. The only 2 guys with much experience will be Drapluk and Loesch. Spratte has minimal experience. Harris has none at all although Roque seems to like his potential once he bulks up. The 2 D recruits that have committed so far, Roll and Renz, both sound like they should be able to step in and play right away.

Comment

Working...
                                X