Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Of all the incoming freshmen, I thought Globke probably had the best chance to put points on the board, but I think he's done better than any of us could have expected; granted we're only about 1/4 of the way into the season. He had a really good final Junior season at Carleton Place, finishing very strong. He's got good size. Probably the big unknown to most of is what kind of a skater he is; that's not something that shows up in Junior statistics. And it certainly doesn't hurt that he's playing on the top line with Radke and Campbell. Let's hope he can keep it up.
    I have been enjoyed watch Globke. The other freshman that seems to well also is Johnson. It appears there are a few pretty sharp incoming freshman.
    Go Lakers!

Comment

Of all the incoming freshmen, I thought Globke probably had the best chance to put points on the board, but I think he's done better than any of us could have expected; granted we're only about 1/4 of the way into the season. He had a really good final Junior season at Carleton Place, finishing very strong. He's got good size. Probably the big unknown to most of is what kind of a skater he is; that's not something that shows up in Junior statistics. And it certainly doesn't hurt that he's playing on the top line with Radke and Campbell. Let's hope he can keep it up.

I agree. I think we're all a little gun shy -- we haven't seen a top-flight points dog on the first line in a while . . . and this young man appears to have the size, speed, and skill to keep this up throughout the year. What I like about his play -- other than the points he puts up -- is that he makes his linemates better.

Now --we really really really need to cut down on shots-against. I thought the boys did a better job against UAF last weekend. And we have two very good veteran starting goalies. But even veteran solid starters can't be expected to battle 40+ shots a night and have long-term success. I was speaking to a few crusty types in the Soo at lunch yesterday, and one of the guys was convinced -- CONVINCED as only a Soo Hockey person can be convinced -- that the shots are up because the Coach is loosening the ropes on the forwards and letting them attack on the forecheck more aggressively. Instead of one deep, two on the blueline unless the puck is below the goalline -- this fellow seemed to see two deep with the puck below the hashmarks -- which would be a fairly big switch for Roque and may indicate a willingness to except some tough defensive situations in exchange for more scoring chances.

Sorry to say, hadn't actually paid that much attention. I thought I noticed a better forecheck against UAF, but I didn't notice anything tremendously different. This guy, thought swore up and down, CONVINCED as only a Soo Hockey person can be convinced, that Roque has implemented a more up-tempo forecheck scheme. He was also CONVINCED that this was because of the uptick in skating talent on the team.

Just sharing some thoughts from some locals who, clearly, pay WAAAAAAY too much attention sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
        Who cares what happens to a young man who doesn't play ball with this coach hey? You people up there never cease to amaze me.

The Truth Is Out There....
        TBA
        No you get a shot in the Plymouth MI Beer and Hockey league I hear that Nic Smellers is one of the top 4 left wings on his team this year with 1 goal and 4 assists. ALL STAR CALIBER ... Maybe Ravn will join up with the PMBHL next year #2 Draft Pick if you ask me.
        THE TOOTH WILL SET YOU FREE
        TNA
        TNA

Comment

Nice win tonight for the Lakers tonight. Tech came out strong but the never say die Lakers were there to snatch up a win no matter what the refs had to say about it. Yeah as I left the arena I did hear we couldn't beat the Lakers even with the ref's on our side.

Another thing I take away from this night is Tech is first class on every aspect of their hockey game for their fans it makes me wonder what our PR people or local buisness people are willing to put into a night of Laker hockey at the taffy Abel arena. Tonight one of the sponsers gave away about 5 hundred bucks worth of meals. People and buisnesses need to! Step up for the Lakers to keep up. I can see that now and I hope I'm not the only one.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

I'm not able to catch much of the game tonight, but just checked in briefly and see we're being out shot 36 to 10 after the 2nd, but only down 1-0. Sounds like maybe Kapalka is the only one who came to play for the Lakers. But we're still in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
              Nobody is saying that Ravn should be playing over KK or KM, but the oddity of the Ravn situation is that coming into school, Ravn was highly touted by the hockey program and entering their freshman year, it was considered a dead heat between KK and Ravn...based on that fact and how good KK has been throughout his career, mandates an indictment of the LSSU staff on 1 of 2 fronts....Either LSSU's scouting leaves a lot to be desired for thinking Ravn and KK could project on the same level when KK has had a prolific career and Ravn has played what? 1 period of true D1 hockey?.....or the LSSU staff clearly has a vendetta against Ravn for someone whose considered equal has had as much success as KK has had and Ravn hasnt played a full game? does that make any sense?? Also I am not familiar with Ciccone, but Edmondson was a high school goalie with no junior experience who knew he would not get any time....Ravn was a major junior goalie who had bona fide stats and experience coming into LSSU....Any unbiased person can see that JR has made a concerted effort not to publicly include Ravn as a part of Laker hockey, and that is simply peculiar.
              If Roque didn't like him, then why is he still there? Could it be that other keepers have out performed him? There are a few #1 keepers who would be home game door openers with the pair LSSU has, which may be the best tandem in the league, if not the country. Ravn as a Junior & Senior has been stuck behind them. As for the touting of the recruits, you'll never hear a coach say, we expect him to be the 3rd stringer. They'll tell you they expect any player to compete for playing time, even if they know he's destined for a coat & tie many nights unless injuries occur.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Are the Lakers actually able to play that horrible on any given night that they did last night ?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  Are the Lakers actually able to play that horrible on any given night that they did last night ?
                  I wasn't able to listen to the game; I just checked in a couple of times late in the game (and after) to check the score and stats. Were they outplayed as bad as the shots on goal would seem to indicate? 0 for 6 on the pp didn't help.

Comment

I wasn't able to listen to the game; I just checked in a couple of times late in the game (and after) to check the score and stats. Were they outplayed as bad as the shots on goal would seem to indicate? 0 for 6 on the pp didn't help.
                    We shut the game off after the second period and went out . After a while you get tired of hearing a shot ,another shot and another shot and you feel bad for Kapalka.

Comment

0-6 on the power play is the most concerning stat of last night's game. As for shots, MTU was firing the puck at Kapalka every time they entered the zone, hoping for a rebound. 30 of those shots were not quality shots so I'm not real concerned with that. The Lakers skated hard all night, just missed on a few chances. The freshman (minus Globke) seem to be reluctant to shoot the puck or try to create something offensively. That should improve as they get more games in this season.

These types of games I can handle in November. They can adjust and be better going forward. What we can't have is this kind of game in February/March.

Comment

Ha -- I just had to re-do my USCHO password, for the first time since 1999. I don't know what to do with myself . . . I've lived with that little password for so many years.

Lakers split on the road. Can't really ask for more than that.

Back on HWY.2 to BSU for another good weekend of Big Snow hockey. 6-3-1 aint bad, folks. Still too many shots. From my view, they have played two poor games this season (at Madison and at Houghton, both on Saturday). Otherwise, the team has played very well so far. A sweep at BSU would be nice (obviously), but a split would not be the end of the world either. Split in Bemidji and then 4 in a row at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                          Ha -- I just had to re-do my USCHO password, for the first time since 1999. I don't know what to do with myself . . . I've lived with that little password for so many years.

Lakers split on the road. Can't really ask for more than that.

Back on HWY.2 to BSU for another good weekend of Big Snow hockey. 6-3-1 aint bad, folks. Still too many shots. From my view, they have played two poor games this season (at Madison and at Houghton, both on Saturday). Otherwise, the team has played very well so far. A sweep at BSU would be nice (obviously), but a split would not be the end of the world either. Split in Bemidji and then 4 in a row at home.
                          Being out shot doesn't bother me within reason. It sounds like they played a decent 3rd period Saturday; being out shot 36 to 10 through 2 periods does concern me. Even assuming the Tech game plan was to throw everything at the net, that kind of shot differential indicates to me that they weren't ready to meet Tech's better effort on Saturday and were probably being badly outplayed. This is a longstanding problem for the Lakers and is why they have a tough time sweeping teams, home or away. If you win the 1st night, you can usually expect your opponent to come out with more energy and a batter effort on night 2. So if you want to sweep, you have to increase your effort the 2nd night also. The Lakers have had a tough time doing that for a lot of years now. Sure they still get the occasional sweep, but they seem to have a lot of trouble putting 2 good nights together on a weekend.

Comment

For anyone that may be making the trip to Bemidji, I posted this over in the BSU Thread for Anchor.
                            -------------------
                            I agree, Dave's Pizza is a must. Get there early as they tend to fill up fast and the pizzas can take some time. But they are worth it. I am not sure what time they open on Fridays, but it is 5:00 on Saturdays, which is about when you need to be there to get a table and get to a 7:00 game at the Sanford Center. Friday's games are at 7:30, but I would still be there at 5:00.

If you are looking for burgers, the Corner Bar is number one in my book, followed by Slims. Corner is in the Nymore part of Bemidji, just a few blocks from the Sanford Center. Slims in on the north end of town. Also, Bar 209 is supposed to make some good burgers, but I have not had a chance to try them yet as it has always been packed when we have gone to eat and have a few drinks.

Tickets shouldn't be an issue. Just stay away from Row 8 in the arena. It is the row that people like to use as the walkway between sections/get around the arena without having to use the concourse. Most of the Beaver Season Ticket holders sit in the upper half of the arena, rows 9-16. The lower half is okay, but does have some bad sight lines in spots.

Not sure how many are in your party, but they have been offering a Beaver Hockey Family Four Pack. Four tickets and four hot dogs or popcorns for $50, no Ticketbastard Fees. They are only for the pink sections on the seating chart, but well worth it. This would be the end of the arena that the Lakers would shoot at twice. Call Tony at the Sanford Center: 218-441-4018.

http://www.bsubeavers.com/tickets/singlegametickets/

Enjoy the trip!
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Lakers ranked #16 in the USCHO poll released today. 2nd highest ranked team in the WCHA.
                              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                                I had to re-do as well . . . only I re-entered my old password as my new password and USCHO accepted it. You can probably go to Settings / My Account and reset your password back to your old one.

Comment

Working...
                                X