Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    Nobody is saying that Ravn should be playing over KK or KM, but the oddity of the Ravn situation is that coming into school, Ravn was highly touted by the hockey program and entering their freshman year, it was considered a dead heat between KK and Ravn...based on that fact and how good KK has been throughout his career, mandates an indictment of the LSSU staff on 1 of 2 fronts....Either LSSU's scouting leaves a lot to be desired for thinking Ravn and KK could project on the same level when KK has had a prolific career and Ravn has played what? 1 period of true D1 hockey?.....or the LSSU staff clearly has a vendetta against Ravn for someone whose considered equal has had as much success as KK has had and Ravn hasnt played a full game? does that make any sense?? Also I am not familiar with Ciccone, but Edmondson was a high school goalie with no junior experience who knew he would not get any time....Ravn was a major junior goalie who had bona fide stats and experience coming into LSSU....Any unbiased person can see that JR has made a concerted effort not to publicly include Ravn as a part of Laker hockey, and that is simply peculiar.
    Ciccone didn't play Junior hockey. He just played AAA Midget Hockey before coming to LSSU, knowingly as a #3 goalie who wasn't going to see much if any ice time.
    Last edited by Bill; 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      Nobody is saying that Ravn should be playing over KK or KM, but the oddity of the Ravn situation is that coming into school, Ravn was highly touted by the hockey program and entering their freshman year, it was considered a dead heat between KK and Ravn...based on that fact and how good KK has been throughout his career, mandates an indictment of the LSSU staff on 1 of 2 fronts....Either LSSU's scouting leaves a lot to be desired for thinking Ravn and KK could project on the same level when KK has had a prolific career and Ravn has played what? 1 period of true D1 hockey?.....or the LSSU staff clearly has a vendetta against Ravn for someone whose considered equal has had as much success as KK has had and Ravn hasnt played a full game? does that make any sense?? Also I am not familiar with Ciccone, but Edmondson was a high school goalie with no junior experience who knew he would not get any time....Ravn was a major junior goalie who had bona fide stats and experience coming into LSSU....Any unbiased person can see that JR has made a concerted effort not to publicly include Ravn as a part of Laker hockey, and that is simply peculiar.
      AnchorsAway,

Have you, or anyone else, considered that the coaches have tested this goalie in a practice situation made the determination whether or not he is up to the level of D1 hockey? It happens with recruits at every level of the game; they are excellent at the lower level of play, but cannot make the transition to the next level. It could be the speed of the game, the larger size of the players, the having to study and practice or many other issues. I can't seem to understand why certain posters think that is a vendetta against a player. If the coach played a player that was not up to the task, then we would all be on him for doing a poor job.

Comment

Bill, I think I probably agree with 99% of what you usually post. But I just can't get any emotional traction for the Ravn situation -- whatever it is.

We are 5-2-1.
        We are heading on the road for our first conference match-up against fellow Yoopers Tech, a fairly important road trip in the standings.
        We are RANKED nationally at 15.
        We have a freshman forward, Globke, who has 5 goals and 6 assists in 8 games -- a scoring pace we have not seen in Lakerland in a long time.
        Goals scored by FOURTEEN different players in 8 games.
        Other than a howling mess one night in Madison, our two senior starting goalies are playing very well.

This is, in other words, a very exciting and noteworthy start to our new adventures in the WCHA.

And what is the general topic of discussion?

. . . . . a coach's dealings with a 3rd string goalie?

Come on . . . seriously?

Have we all morphed into Truthy McJackhole, and are now only able to concentrate on negative issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
          Bill, I think I probably agree with 99% of what you usually post. But I just can't get any emotional traction for the Ravn situation -- whatever it is.

We are 5-2-1.
          We are heading on the road for our first conference match-up against fellow Yoopers Tech, a fairly important road trip in the standings.
          We are RANKED nationally at 15.
          We have a freshman forward, Globke, who has 5 goals and 6 assists in 8 games -- a scoring pace we have not seen in Lakerland in a long time.
          Goals scored by FOURTEEN different players in 8 games.
          Other than a howling mess one night in Madison, our two senior starting goalies are playing very well.

This is, in other words, a very exciting and noteworthy start to our new adventures in the WCHA.

And what is the general topic of discussion?

. . . . . a coach's dealings with a 3rd string goalie?

Come on . . . seriously?

Have we all morphed into Truthy McJackhole, and are now only able to concentrate on negative issues?
          I guess I'm old fashioned. I think a coach should treat all players on the team fairly and with respect, regardless of whether they play a lot, a little, or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            I guess I'm old fashioned. I think a coach should treat all players on the team fairly and with respect, regardless of whether they play a lot, a little, or not at all.
            Bill,

If everyone got equal playing time and treated the same, we would never win. Coaches have to play the players that develop and are able to help the team win. As for respect, I think that not vocalizing why the player is not playing is being respectful. The coach isn't saying anything negative about this player.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Bill,

If everyone got equal playing time and treated the same, we would never win. Coaches have to play the players that develop and are able to help the team win. As for respect, I think that not vocalizing why the player is not playing is being respectful. The coach isn't saying anything negative about this player.

Comment

I think Ravn is fair game for discussion . Any player or coach is fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  I think Ravn is fair game for discussion . Any player or coach is fair game.

When more is written about Ravn than Globke, something is wrong. Just my opinion.

How will we do against Tech -- that is what I care about.

Comment

When more is written about Ravn than Globke, something is wrong. Just my opinion.

Who cares what happens to a young man who doesn't play ball with this coach hey? You people up there never cease to amaze me.

The Truth Is Out There....
                    TBA

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      I guess I'm old fashion as well Bill. There are strange instances surrounding Ravn and the coach.

I'm traveling to Hoe-Town for the games it should be fun.
                      How about that Globke kid, what a joy to watch.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                        Bill,

Who said anything about equal playing time?

Do you think Roque not saying anything about Ravn is the only thing that counts in terms of showing respect? How about these things for whether Roque is showing him respect: (1) Although he's still on the roster and in the team picture, and presumably still on the team, Ravn isn't in the Senior picture. I was up to the Soo for the Robert Morris series and what should appear on the program that weekend, but the Senior picture. I heard several people wondering why Ravn wasn't in it. Ravn was there on picture day as evidenced by him being in the team picture, so why isn't he in the Senior picture? (2) Roque isn't letting Ravn dress for home games. When was the last time the Lakers didn't dress all 3 goalies for home games (and all were healthy)? Any time I've been there in recent years, all the goalies have dressed. (3) Ravn isn't even practicing much. I don't live near the Soo so I don't get to any practices, but I've heard from people who do see practices and Ravn isn't there on many days and isn't seeing much action when he is there. Now some of that may be do his class schedule but I don't believe that most of it is. (4) Ravn didn't get new equipment this season like the rest of the players did. It's probably not difficult for people watching practices to figure that out, plus all of the other players have to be aware of it, and word gets around. My understanding is that new equipment is normally ordered in the Spring so I'm sure Ran was pretty surprised when he showed up this Fall to find that he wasn't receiving new equipment. Explain to me how this couldn't have been Roque's doing, particularly since he still doesn't have new equipment?

Does that sound to you like Roque is showing Ravn respect?
                        Last edited by Bill; 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post

I'm traveling to Hoe-Town for the games it should be fun.
                          How about that Globke kid, what a joy to watch.
                          Of all the incoming freshmen, I thought Globke probably had the best chance to put points on the board, but I think he's done better than any of us could have expected; granted we're only about 1/4 of the way into the season. He had a really good final Junior season at Carleton Place, finishing very strong. He's got good size. Probably the big unknown to most of is what kind of a skater he is; that's not something that shows up in Junior statistics. And it certainly doesn't hurt that he's playing on the top line with Radke and Campbell. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Comment

When people look the other way when there is a problem, things get worse.
                            Globke will like your enthusiasm ... let's wait a few years more and see.

Dan Barczuk got cut for personal reasons. His equipment was taken away and he was given a worn out pair of skates to leave. After a period of harassment, this last humiliation was useless, but so enjoyable for Roque.
                            Now Roque is having fun with ravn. Even for someone who is limited to count Ws and Ls things like that matter, whoever is the scapegoat.
                            This third-stringger discussion is not about ravn but about an attitude witch raises serious questions.

Will potential recruits bear this in mind?
                            Last edited by LakerBlues; 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                              Why is it that way?
                              Not quite sure, but the 99.5 internet webstream is usually 15-30 seconds ahead of video feeds. This is even true for most opposing school video feeds when the Lakers are on the road.

The games at Union this year were one exception where the video stream was ahead of the radio stream. In that case I could pause the video feed for a few seconds to sync Bill's radio feed up with it. It is not an option, however, to pause the 99.5 radio stream to let the video catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                                AnchorsAway,

Have you, or anyone else, considered that the coaches have tested this goalie in a practice situation made the determination whether or not he is up to the level of D1 hockey? It happens with recruits at every level of the game; they are excellent at the lower level of play, but cannot make the transition to the next level. It could be the speed of the game, the larger size of the players, the having to study and practice or many other issues. I can't seem to understand why certain posters think that is a vendetta against a player. If the coach played a player that was not up to the task, then we would all be on him for doing a poor job.
                                Paradox, not only have I considered that, I addressed it in my previous post, I said that either way you cut it, the Ravn situation is an indictment of the LSSU staff, either he is being blatantly disrespected by the staff which is inappropriate OR they clearly showed poor judgement in bringing in Ravn in the first place due to the fact that, entering their freshmen year we were being told that it would be a dead heat between KK and Ravn for the starting goaltender position....to have two guys who were considered by the staff to be equal in ability entering their freshman campaign and to have one have a very good career like KK has, while the other has played a single period of D1 hockey shows that they missed on Ravn, big time, and at least in my mind gives rise to worry (albeit small, because they did hit on KK and KM) about what could happen next season when we have a fresh slate of goaltenders coming in....assuming that, as you seem to think, that Ravn was recruited and just flat out couldn't play, what kind of a mess will we be in next year if they miss bad on the goalies that will be between the pipes for us next year? like they did on Ravn?

Also, this is a Laker Hockey board, the fact that we are making "nit picky" issues like the #3 goalie a topic of conversation shows a fan base with a dedicated following, in my opinion, and I love to see that. Don't get me wrong, I'm super pumped about the Lakers start and Globke has been a revelation. I've even started squirreling money away for a potential trip to Grand Rapids for the WCHA championship or dare I say it? an NCAA berth. I think a sweep this weekend puts the Lakers in a fantastic spot; MTU doesn't have a good record, but they have played a heck of a schedule and props to them for that, if they should falter to the Lakers this weekend it certainly won't be due to a lack of facing quality competition! But as I said a Laker sweep would be very tough, but huge, road points are always a huge plus and if they were to pull off a sweep, the following weekend they go to Bemidji, where a sweep looks well within the realm of possibility....If they should pull that off (again no easy task!) then you are looking at a 9-2-1 team and if that should happen I think an NCAA trip would move in my mind, from the "goal" to the "expectation" side of the ledger.

Comment

Working...
                                X