This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

UVM begins their 50th season of hockey with two wins on the exhibition weekend!

Great weekend for the Cats, (heck the first weekend is great win or lose). A saturday night drubbing of Ottawa 7-0 followed by a 4-1 win over Acadia, freshman saw a lot of ice time, Brickley with a 5 point weekend and 7 powerplay goals

My thoughts :

The Cats were helped tremendously by playing seemingly the entire weekend on the power play. Both games were chippy and the refs were calling tight games. You can't help but pot a few power play goals when you have that many opportunities. That said, I was very impressed with Bruneteau and Hamilton on the power play. Bruneteau has always been the best d-man to run the power play but it seems that the coaching staff finally found him a partner. Hamilton can zip passes around and he isn't afraid to shoot. The two combined for 15 shots on goal over the weekend, many coming on the power play and being rewarded with 5 pts on the weekend. The power play has always been an issue, hopefully that can continue.

Pattyn chipped in another 4 pts from the blue line including 3 goals and jumped up in the play several times. Granted the competition was a step down but certainly nice to see the Defense put up some offense while also being defensively responsible.

In goal, Santaguida played 5 of 6 periods giving up 1 goal on 28 shots for a 0.964 S%. While many shots were low quality he faced some good shots and made the saves. While his puck handling outside the net seems to be lacking, he is definitely quick and agile. I would expect him to start this weekend at North Dakota considering Hoffman sat out this weekend and seems to be nursing an injury. Feeley looked good in his short stint as well.

Offensively the Cats looked a bit rusty, but were flying on the ice. Nice to see that type of hustle out of them and to see it continue through the weekend even after a very physical Saturday night. Brickley gets 5 pts on the weekend, hopefully he continues to be more offensive minded this season. He could have a break out year and the cats need him to score goals, not knock people's head off before heading to the penalty box. Bradley impressed me for the freshman, he seemed to have good speed, hustle and was right up in the play all the time battling for the puck. McKinney also was impressive IMO. I think there are 3-4 freshman that are going to see significant ice time on a regular basis this year and the Cat's should be cautiously optimistic about the season.

Lets pray the injury bug isn't going to get out of hand... Hoffman, Fallon, Reynolds are all big losses if they are out for any length of time. That said I think there is some depth on this team that can help mitigate the injuries.

As a side note there was two Matt Whites on the ice Saturday night...

GO CATS GO
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
    Anyone know why Lenz got scratched today?
    I believe Sneddon said in the post game wrap up he was out simply to give him some rest and get the other forwards some ice time. Nothing serious though...

4-1 win against Acadia without McCarthy, Lenz and Reynolds is a good sign. Yes they aren't the type of competition that we will see during the season, but for what it's worth they did put 3 on UNH the night before.

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
    Hoffman is out for the weekend with an unspecified injury ... the word is it is precautionary rather than anything considered serious ... McCarthy and Reynolds were both hurt on the same play at different places on the ice. McCarthy came back later ... Reynolds ... who needed to be helped off the ice ...did not.
    Some serious thuggery going on in the Ottawa game. I missed what happened to Reynolds as I was watching McCarthy, but it sure got the Cats worked up, especially Bruneteau. That's the closest I've seen to an on ice brawl in many years. I was half expecting to see Bruneteau get the boot.

Comment

It is good to see them win, and I do hope Brickley's performance means he comes out and really ups his offense this year, but let's face it both of these teams were so bad that it is hard to really get excited. Good practice sessions, really. I'd consider a good weekend in North Dakota to be getting a tie one night. Won't be easy.

Comment

d
        Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
        It is good to see them win, and I do hope Brickley's performance means he comes out and really ups his offense this year, but let's face it both of these teams were so bad that it is hard to really get excited. Good practice sessions, really. I'd consider a good weekend in North Dakota to be getting a tie one night. Won't be easy.
        Well in the past 6 years UVM is 3-3 on the exhibition weekend. The 3 years they won their exhibition game they were a combined 50-46-18, the 3 years they lost they went 31-62-16. So I'm glad they won.

Sure the teams are not at the level of HE teams... but look at it this way, it could be worse, we could have tied McGill.

Comment

ABC news did a 30 minute show on the Men's and Women's hockey teams.

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/sto...tka4TK1v6DDH8A

It's interesting to me that on several occassions now Sneddon has talked about this class being large because he felt that the past few seasons the team just wasn't where they needed to be. It seems like they brought in a large group not only to replace the departing seniors but a chunk of the current players. That' s not new, it's what he has been saying for a while now, but in the interview he specifically mentions have "tough" conversations over the summer. Looking back on some of the early departures it makes a little more sense as to why Faust left and some of the others.

I certainly hope the plan pays dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            ABC news did a 30 minute show on the Men's and Women's hockey teams.

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/sto...tka4TK1v6DDH8A

It's interesting to me that on several occassions now Sneddon has talked about this class being large because he felt that the past few seasons the team just wasn't where they needed to be. It seems like they brought in a large group not only to replace the departing seniors but a chunk of the current players. That' s not new, it's what he has been saying for a while now, but in the interview he specifically mentions have "tough" conversations over the summer. Looking back on some of the early departures it makes a little more sense as to why Faust left and some of the others.

I certainly hope the plan pays dividends.
            Hes not just talking about the ones that left but also about the ones that stayed. My guess is that its more of the same. He is always excited at the beginning of the year and always looking for greener grass at the end of the year instead of looking in the mirror. It started the year after his run with Stalberg to the frozen four. According to him its been bad players since then. Every year he has a whipping boy. I don't buy it yet. I hope I am proven wrong but I don't see much change yet.

Comment

Kyle Reynolds is out for the season with a knee injury. Big loss, especially with Fallon's health up in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM - Bruin View Post
                Kyle Reynolds is out for the season with a knee injury. Big loss, especially with Fallon's health up in the air.
                That is a bummer....especially in an exhibition game. Did anyone see what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                  That is a bummer....especially in an exhibition game. Did anyone see what happened?
                  Sneddon talks about the injury in the article below, sounds like a dirty hit by the Ottawa player.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131008/SPORTS0102/310080024/1002/RSS03?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I apologize in advance if the link doesn't work...In short, Sneddon was very candid about the hit, said that Reynolds was targeted, and that Kyle didn't have the puck when he was hit.

I wonder who takes his spot on the first line?

Also, Ted Ryan mentions that Hoffman won't be making the trip to North Dakota, so Santaguida will be in goal this weekend.
                  Last edited by VermontFan; 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a cutless play when the player knows he wont have to play the other team again

I knew it had to be a cheap shot the way Brunateau acted as he is not usually that aggressive.

Starting to think the green and gold would be better than playing a team that really isnt anywhere
                    near the level of D1. Maybe a game versus Norwich or Middlebury would be better and at least those
                    teams would not pull any of this cheap shot crap.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by VermontFan View Post
                      Sneddon talks about the injury in the article below, sounds like a dirty hit by the Ottawa player.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131008/SPORTS0102/310080024/1002/RSS03?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I apologize in advance if the link doesn't work...In short, Sneddon was very candid about the hit, said that Reynolds was targeted, and that Kyle didn't have the puck when he was hit.

I wonder who takes his spot on the first line?

Also, Ted Ryan mentions that Hoffman won't be making the trip to North Dakota, so Santaguida will be in goal this weekend.
                      Thanks for the link (works if you paste it in). That article also explains why Reynolds was not playing some games last year and when he did was not quite up to his freshman performance.

Comment

Here's a link on the Reynolds injury from WPTZ with an accompany video.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53224009/n.../#.UlVCgxkRwb3

Tough loss to start the season. I would expect Fallon to make the trip to NoDak if at all able (even if he sees limited ice time), he will be needed.

I guess the bright side, if there is one, is that it's early enough in the season to allow him to red shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          Maybe a game versus Norwich or Middlebury would be better and at least those
                          I would like to see this. Year in and year out Middlebury, Norwich, Plattsburg St are all at the top of D-3. It seems that we have consistently the top D-3 teams, and I would think that these teams could provide as much competition as some of the Canadian schools. It would also draw a much larger crowd to the exhibition games with more fans within driving distance.

It is definitely something UVM should think about.

Comment

Really too bad about Reynolds certainly doesn't help matters, but next man up. Freshman are supposed to be talented right? Let's see if Sneddon meant that. Definitely a dirty hit but it is kind of a get what you pay for scenario since these Canada schools have nothing to lose and are going to play that way doesn't make it right just saying and if UVM wants these exhibition games, Canada teams are the norm usually. Norwich did play Dartmouth last year and the year before and played them close. I asked someone who used to work for the athletic department why UVM doesn't do the same thing a while back and they basically said UVM won't because they are afraid of losing especially the last few years and want to be the premier team in the state not giving the teams like Norwich, Midd, P-State, or even Castleton credit. Person made it sound like that comes from the top and not the coaches. Pretty silly because it would get more people interested even doing what the basketball teams do and play St. Mike's is better and generates more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                              Sounds like a cutless play when the player knows he wont have to play the other team again
                              Starting to think the green and gold would be better than playing a team that really isnt anywhere
                              near the level of D1. Maybe a game versus Norwich or Middlebury would be better and at least those
                              Not sure about the fear of competition angle, but might not the respective D1and D3 start dates figure into it? I don't believe D3s are formally practicing yet. Norwich and Dartmouth better chance, I believe, because don't Ivies also start later that national D-1 start date? By time D3s are on ice, most D1 teams are into regular season schedule. If that's correct, there aren't many exhibition opportunities outside Canadian teams. Just a theory.

Comment

Working...
                              X