X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
    Nice third period for the boys last night. Merrimack might consider playing defense against the McCarthy line tonight? What is going on with Fallon? Ever since Sneddon shook up the lines (demoted Fallon, promoted Bradley) Fallon has really struggled. Obviously not playing with #3 will hurt you, but in the first part of the year he was among leaders in HE in faceoff %. The last several games he has sucked @ the dot. Is there something going on off the ice? Playing with injury? I know Sneddon called out his line a few weeks ago, but he is definitely not playing up to his potential. Any chance Fallon walks after this year?
    Is Fallon able to graduate this year? If so that might be a tipping factor in that choice but to walk away from what should be a good team next year for what would be a long shot at making the pros
    I hope the people close to him would push him the right way.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
      Nice third period for the boys last night. Merrimack might consider playing defense against the McCarthy line tonight? What is going on with Fallon? Ever since Sneddon shook up the lines (demoted Fallon, promoted Bradley) Fallon has really struggled. Obviously not playing with #3 will hurt you, but in the first part of the year he was among leaders in HE in faceoff %. The last several games he has sucked @ the dot. Is there something going on off the ice? Playing with injury? I know Sneddon called out his line a few weeks ago, but he is definitely not playing up to his potential. Any chance Fallon walks after this year?
      I doubt he leaves, and I hope not. Fallon has great stick handling skills and is a good set up man, Puscarich is going to need him when #3 leaves. Not sure if he is struggling with an injury but it's clear that line is not performing well. Sneddon needs to do more then call them out... like changing the line up a little bit. Markinson has always been a bit of an underperformer to me, maybe give him a shot up on that first line and see if Bradley can gel with Fallon.

Mario now has 17g and 15a for 32pts in 29 games. Just for comparison Gaudreau had 21g and 23a (44pts) in 44 games as a freshman and Roy had 17g and 17a (34pts) in 29 gp as a freshman...

I can't imagine why this kid hasn't been drafted...
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
        Is Fallon able to graduate this year? If so that might be a tipping factor in that choice but to walk away from what should be a good team next year for what would be a long shot at making the pros
        I hope the people close to him would push him the right way.
        I don't believe so, he is listed as a junior...

Comment

I think UVM may have made a huge mistake in their scheduling. Why we aren't playing the max games is beyond me. Right now for example we are 12 in the PWR just behind NU... due to a small difference in RPI. They have played one more game then UVM... if UVM had played (and won) one more game, even against a weaker team they would be ahead of NU... Its not such a big deal being 12th... but what about 15-16-17th...

If UVM misses the tournament by a tiny difference in RPI heads should roll

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            I don't believe so, he is listed as a junior...
            I know he has one year left of eligability but remember he sat a year between playing for Michigan and UVM so if he
            still went to school in that year he might have all his credits by the end of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
              I know he has one year left of eligability but remember he sat a year between playing for Michigan and UVM so if he
              still went to school in that year he might have all his credits by the end of this year.
              I am assuming that as UVM lists him as a Junior that's based on his credits. He also played USHL the year between Michigan and UVM so I don't think he actually took any classes...but I'm not sure.

Comment

I haven't seen him play this year (yet), but I've been impressed by Puskarich. HE has seen a lot of 21-year old freshmen come into the league, being extremely high scorers in juniors and not be able to match anywhere close to that at this level. Good to see a young man be able to continue growing his game, and continuing to put up good numbers at the college level.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  To an extent but they don't even sell out Patrick so their need for a new place isn't quite the same. All they need is some actual seats instead of bleachers. I don't think they bring a lot to the equation when trying to sell a new arena...

Anyways.... GO CATS GO
                  If we're talking renovation Patrick will need it because even though any proposed new facility would include capability for both can't see the school holding a Saturday afternoon basketball game and turn it around that evening for the hockey game. But basketball is a key part of this two. The success they've had over the last 10 years or so and continuing to do so is big. Also making the NCAAs in basketball is a huge payout, hockey isn't even close. I actually heard from someone that because basketball was placed in the play-in game and won then faced North Carolina in the tourney they got enough money that was used to buyout the old womens hockey coach from his contract which is good because Plumer is doing a really good job it looks like. Like seeing UVM is getting better at women's hockey too. Also makes me wonder if basketball had won their championship game last year and gone to the NCAAs last year if Sneddon would have been scared. haha.

Love what Mario brings but like others said having McCarthy there is huge. McCarthy is going to be sorely missed next year I dont know what kind of player currently on the roster can step up and bring what he brings. Reynolds and McCarthy aren't the same player. Think Fallon would help set up Mario next year but the other guy on that line will important. Fallon basically saved not having to sit out by going to juniors. It would be a blow if he didn't return but hey if youre in Sneddons doghouse we have seen guys that just dont come back. Also on the Paliotta question on if he comes back. He should but I think it is 50-50.

And jcarter, Mario hasn't been drafted/won't be because he's too old. Also looking at his stats from when he would have been eligible they aren't that good so looks like he was a late bloomer that UVM benefits from. Hope it keeps improving and this isnt the peak for him which is the risk you run when bringing in 21 year old freshman for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
                    And jcarter, Mario hasn't been drafted/won't be because he's too old. Also looking at his stats from when he would have been eligible they aren't that good so looks like he was a late bloomer that UVM benefits from. Hope it keeps improving and this isnt the peak for him which is the risk you run when bringing in 21 year old freshman for the most part.
                    Excellent point with his age and stats from when he was eligible. As far as him continuing to develop.... well even if he doesn't improve I can live with 20g and 20 assists a season for the next 4 years :0

Comment

Vermont is looking for its 5th straight league roadwin tonight which would be an alltime hi. They won
                      4 in a row in 2008/09.

Wonder if Hoffman stays in net, Merrimack is by no means BC and it wasnt like Santa was to blame
                      for half of those goals last weekend.

Comment

considering he's 21, the one risk is that teams will start to take notice and look to ink him to a deal. not saying that will happen after just this one season, but something to keep an eye on.

Comment

Great weekend considering how "well" the Cats have historically played at 'Mack. Nice to see the Cats also get secondary scoring. Team can make noise. Right now the big line is ridiculous. Being at the game you see their dominance. McCarthy is a first team HE and Puskarich is ROY. Happy to see for Cats. Time for Lowell week.

Comment

Well the win last night bumps them up a notch in the PWR, it would be nice to have a bit more cushion but I'll take it. After last season I wouldn't have thought it even remotely possible. We aren't going far in HE regardless of what happens this weekend. PC is 2 pts ahead and while them getting swept by ME at Orono is actually likely UVM would need 3 pts from Lowell. Not that it can't happen but I don't for see anything more then a split. UNH and NU should both handle their games fine which means at best we end up 6th and at worst 8th. No one wants to be 8th and headed to BC for 3 in the second round. ND shouldn't move so UVM should remain in 7th which would mean a play in game against BU and then Lowell if everything plays out the way it should. As such this weekend will be huge not only for PWR but for the teams psyche as well.

Crazy how tight the league is UML in 2nd has one more win in league play then UVM in 7th... and few more ties. But no one outside of BC is dominating anyone else.

Comment

Nice to see the Cats get the job done this weekend at what has been the house of horrors for a few years. Lots of work still ahead though to secure that NCAA tourney bid and try to improve the HE seeding. Tied for 7th not impressive. Lowell will be tough but Cats can skate with them, question will be whether UVM goaltending can match Lowell goaltending and make this about the skaters.

Comment

Watching the highlights, the second MC goal was horrendous Hoff should have had that one. 3rd goal was iffy, if it was tipped then ok but it's not clear it was tipped.

The shorty was pure luck... not sure what the MC tender was thinking but hey it worked out for UVM...

Comment

Working...
                                X