X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by coots01 View Post
    Not sure what you see but they are the only D pairing that are not getting scored on regularly. Why do you say their defensive ability is lacking? Examples?
    The first shift saturday night Walls looked lost, misplayed the puck twice before getting it from the goal line to the blue line.

As for them not getting scored on regularly...

#5 and #4 are a combined +10
    #2 and #25 are a combined +6
    Pattyn and Walls are at +3

Pattyn was on the ice for 2 out of the 3 even strength goals Friday...

And the final reason is penalties... do you want BC to get 7-8 power play chances in a game and Walls takes too many deserved or not. But I will concede this weekend they weren't the worst d-men on the ice. That honor belongs to Paliotta who just totally blew it on the short handed goal, I mean come on get a stick on that guy at least.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

The weekend was about what I expected. UVM plays it's heart out, outplays the opposition for long stretches, can't finish enough against decent goaltending, has a couple of lapses and it ends up in our net each time. UVM has dominated it's opponents in many losses this year, at least this weekend that was not the case, it was pretty even in terms of puck possession. UVM can beat anyone in HE except BC. BC is in a class of it's own.

UVM needs to get three points each of the next two weekends. They are very capable of that if they get decent goaltending - which is questionable. I would go back to Hoffman or the rotation - Santa on Friday, Hoffman on Saturday. Santa is ok but he does not make the saves that make a difference in a tight game.

Comment

Can someone answer this for me: Multiple time this weekend Gravallese (sp? ), was the ref in the neutral zone, while the other ref was in the end where the play was going on, and Gravallese called penalties. Is Gravallese within his right to make a call when he's 60-70 ft away from the play? Shouldn't that responsibility fall on the ref who is right there on the puck?

Comment

i don't think that's limited to him or this weekend. happens all the time in this league and it drives me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
            Can someone answer this for me: Multiple time this weekend Gravallese (sp? ), was the ref in the neutral zone, while the other ref was in the end where the play was going on, and Gravallese called penalties. Is Gravallese within his right to make a call when he's 60-70 ft away from the play? Shouldn't that responsibility fall on the ref who is right there on the puck?
            I think he can make the call but he probably shouldn't unless its blatant and obvious. Still, he wasn't nearly as bad as Cronin blowing the whistle on accident and flubbing calls. The officials really struggled Saturday... just oddly bad.

Comment

They can make the call, but you usually don't do it unless you are certain and you think your partner missed the call for some reason. It is referred to as back calling. One call for sure he shouldn't have made was a puck played with a high stick. Benedetto was in perfect position to make the call and made the right call by not calling it as the player, though he initially attempted to play the puck with a high stick, clearly did not hit the puck, but Gravallesee made the incorrect call from the neural zone.

Also as was also pointed out, Cronin made two erroneous calls on icings which were fortunately corrected. The rule says the ensuing face off is at center ice unless it unduly penalizes one of the teams. This did penalize the team accused of icing the puck as they had to move from the attacking zone to the neutral zone. Other rules have made this errant call an automatic face-off in the attacking zone for just this reason. There have been quite a few poor calls this season.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                Ignorance. Is. Bliss. Dope.
                Yep guy either didn't watch the games or did so through a pair of maroon and gold lenses. But hey...lets just assume BC does everything better than every opponent always. Life is easy that way.

Comment

Originally posted by BTV802 View Post
                  Yep guy either didn't watch the games or did so through a pair of maroon and gold lenses. But hey...lets just assume BC does everything better than every opponent always. Life is easy that way.
                  That and he is just a dink

Comment

I think her believes he knows better what to call than his partner. 'Yep I can see better from 50 feet away at a bad angle than he can from 5".

Also the guy needs to try decaf, so unprofessional on Sat losing his cool.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                      I think her believes he knows better what to call than his partner. 'Yep I can see better from 50 feet away at a bad angle than he can from 5".

Also the guy needs to try decaf, so unprofessional on Sat losing his cool.
                      Is UVM building a new Arena ? I just noticed that on your message. I was surprised by the bleacher seats.
                      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by coots01 View Post
                        ...last year UVM was one of the toughest teams to play against. Where did all the hitting go?
                        Was I at the same game? Did you see the Shaw hit on Matheson!? Matheson didn't come back. Sure Shaw is a forward but there were hits dished out by the D for sure. That was a really physical game. Shaw was a marked man after putting Matheson out. He didn't seem to mind at all. Sorry the BC player got injured but I like seeing UVM on the giving end. As a fan at the game that counted for something. Brickley had a few big hits, as did Lenz. What's up with Lens turning his back on hits? Like turning into it so he hits the person with his back...? Put a shoulder in!

A couple of other notes...

On Sat night the shorty ref seemed to not get along with the other refs. Right from the beginning of the game there was some sort of argument. In case you didn't know, refs don't always get along. It's not like they are on their own team and in agreement with each other. Sometimes one of them will decide to call the game the way he sees it whether that aligns with the other three refs or not.

BC seemed to take a note from Jack Parker on Friday night. I swear they drew a couple of penalties by turning into the boards and causing near unavoidable hits from behind / boarding. It seems to work in Hockey East. At other levels refs don't seem to be understanding if the guy getting hit turns into the boards. BC got a diving call. Diving and embellishment, two of my favs.

I liked hearing Sneddon call out some specific folks after the game Friday. Markinson in particular seemed to respond well. Fallon must have something going on. He seems to protect the puck reasonably well but his play making and shooting seems off from last year.

DeCenzo must have really ****ed off the coaching staff to not get played Sat night.

Friday night was more winnable then Sat. Before picking part Sneddon too much give a little credit to BC.

I hope the recruiting takes another step up next year. It will need to with who's graduating / likely leaving for the pro's.

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                          Is UVM building a new Arena ? I just noticed that on your message. I was surprised by the bleacher seats.
                          Not that I know of. Good luck building something in VT. Doing a major reno of the Gut would be my preference. I'd like to keep a lot of the character but add some lux boxes / padded seats / jumbotron.

Comment

If you disregard plus/minus and look at the games themselves Pattytn and Walls have not been scored on as much as the other D pairings , fortunately for the others they are on the ice for the goals for although not always contributing only adding to their plus/minus so that can easily be a misconstrued stat. As for Walls's penalties take a look at the game sheets since his return from injury...very few and as you said some were undeserved. So that is an unfair statement to a player when you factor in all the info
                            Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            The first shift saturday night Walls looked lost, misplayed the puck twice before getting it from the goal line to the blue line. Unfortunately in Hockey East the reffing is very suspect and for the most part they don't like hard hitting players. My main point earlier was it was the coaching staff who lost the game, BC rolled the lines and got all players into the game. Whether or not you like a player, they were all recruited to play for UVM and all have high skill sets...it is up to the coaches to build up players confidence not strip it down by not playing them during games.

As for them not getting scored on regularly...

#5 and #4 are a combined +10
                            #2 and #25 are a combined +6
                            Pattyn and Walls are at +3

Pattyn was on the ice for 2 out of the 3 even strength goals Friday...

And the final reason is penalties... do you want BC to get 7-8 power play chances in a game and Walls takes too many deserved or not. But I will concede this weekend they weren't the worst d-men on the ice. That honor belongs to Paliotta who just totally blew it on the short handed goal, I mean come on get a stick on that guy at least.

Comment

Like I said earlier, it was the coaches who lost the games not the players. BC rolled lines and got every player into the game. It is up to the coaching staff to build confidence not strip it down by not playing the players during games. Too often their choices cause goals against because of favoritism to the supposed Top 4. Soft D will hurt a team when they cannot defend in their own zone. Don't forget all these players are recruited from winning teams and are high level high skill players...so your statement of lacking is unwarranted.
                              Again blame the coaches who run the gates and pick their favourites to win or lose not the players.

Comment

UVM played a solid pair of games against BC this weekend. I got the sense that in both games, BC did minimum needed to get the win and get out of there with 4 points and never had to put the hammer down on UVM on either night. Just my take from what I've seen of BC all year long.

UVM is much improved which is nice to see.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X