X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
    Would all of you stop acting like this is your first year following College Hockey YIKES!!!!

Vermont outplayed BU but BU got a lucky pounce on the flukey second goal and a terrible
    gift on the game winning 2-man adv goal which even the BU homies on the feed thought it was
    a bogus call both after if happened and even after seeing the replay. And if you ever watch these
    feeds some of these guys wouldnt even admit water is wet if it made thier team look bad.

If you think the better team always wins you need to find a new sport to follow, you just need to
    see how many 4 seeds have beat 1 seeds the last few years to see in College Hockey the better
    team doesnt always win.

To compare in Hockey only Minnesota has fewer than 4 losses, while in Basketball NO TEAM in the
    top 25 has more than 4 losses.
    I understand your point, that any team can beat any other team on any given night in college hockey. And yes, I have been watching college hockey for more then one year. More like 25. My point is that it is getting overwhelming frustrating to appear to be the better team on any given night, and still end up on the losing end. You have to admit, UVM has outplayed a lot of teams this season and come up with the loss. It would be great if you got points for outplaying another team, but you gotta win to get the points. Like I said, just frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by coots01 View Post
      Well........Haven't posted for a long while. Not sure who is in charge of the PP or PK, but holy crap!!!Can we be any worse? Keep running the same old ****E and still not score? 9 PP and 1 for 9 brutal!!! Keep playing a freshman who is a -2 on the night and gives the puck away right in front of your goal? Sorry, but Pattyn and Walls played as well as the rest and see 2 shifts in the third and both never got scored on in the first 2 periods. If this team wants to get the tournament then they better learn how to play to their strengths. The supposed "top four" d couldn't keep BU away from our net and gave up a combined -8 on the game. Too many players not getting to play and too many that don't deserve the ice time they are getting.
      If you are gonna be negative at least get your stats correct. Vermont was 2 for 9 on the PP which is 22% which is better than 48 of the 59 teams
      in D1 this year. So bad Cats for having a "B" powerplay.
      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Sorry for my incorrect stats on my last post, however I am surprised there were no comments on the rest of my post. Congrats to the Cats on an impressive win tonite and it should have been a 4 point weekend except for a hot goalie This is a good team when ALL the players get to play not half a team. These coaches need to use everyone, they don't have a true superstar line but a real lunch bucket crew. Again, congrats boys and continued good fortune.

Comment

Great win for the Cats. I can't recall the last time they had 6 goals in a game. Wish last night had the same result. We're due for a sweep at some point. But who will that opponent be?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
            I believe the powerplay was two for nine last night ... not the 1 for nine mentioned in a previous post ...
            As to the above I will disagree with you about UVM not being good team but you are entitled to your opinion ... that is what this forum is here for.

But to say BU is a bad team is just bogus. I know the slide they have been on ... the long run without a win ... and yes you have to try to take advantage of that ... but BU is BU! They get and have GREAT players. They were overdue to end their streak and it wouldn't surprise a bit if they now start a long one in the opposite direction. To say they are not a good team shows a lack of understanding of basic Hockey East 101.
            BU is BU? 9th in scoring offense, last in goals allowed. Granted UVM is 8th in scoring, but ahead of BU by double digits. BU has been a dominant powerhouse of Hockey East for what seems like forever. And Hockey East being what it is, there is a possibility they could go on a tear and win out . But after tonights game, I don't see it. And will stick to my earlier opinion that they are not a very good team. I am surprised as you are, because they have always been so good. But UVM should have walked away with 4 points this weekend, not 2.

Comment

Cant say enough about how big McCarthy is playing right now. He is dominating every phase of
              play and you would have to think he will get some pretty nice offers from NHL teams when the
              season is done. Almost unstoppable one on one and seems to always be in the right place to
              cause a turnover.
              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                I believe the powerplay was two for nine last night ... not the 1 for nine mentioned in a previous post ...
                As to the above I will disagree with you about UVM not being good team but you are entitled to your opinion ... that is what this forum is here for.

But to say BU is a bad team is just bogus. I know the slide they have been on ... the long run without a win ... and yes you have to try to take advantage of that ... but BU is BU! They get and have GREAT players. They were overdue to end their streak and it wouldn't surprise a bit if they now start a long one in the opposite direction. To say they are not a good team shows a lack of understanding of basic Hockey East 101.
                Hope you've sobered up since posting this at 9 am!
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  Cant say enough about how big McCarthy is playing right now. He is dominating every phase of
                  play and you would have to think he will get some pretty nice offers from NHL teams when the
                  season is done. Almost unstoppable one on one and seems to always be in the right place to
                  cause a turnover.
                  Agreed. Sneddon said as much in his post game. Think how many points he would have if he didn't have to play point on power play. That being said I think the PP would be better served having him down low, it's not a great PP as is. How many other top players on their team do as much for their team? PK, point on PP, and I think he played wing his entire career until a few games ago and now he's playing center. As he goes UVM goes.

I'm sure he's glad he came back, more opportunities will open up for sure. I mean look at Stalberg, he rushed and he is in the ECHL.

Hate weekends off at this juncture of the season, but we still have the gauntlet coming.

Comment

Glad the Cats came back on Saturday to get the win. It's unfortunate however to let 2 HE points slip away 3 spots in the PWR due to a lackluster Friday night appearance. Those lapses have to stop. This is a good team but until they take care of business against lesser competition that's all they are going to be is a "good" team. This has been a problem throughout Sneddon's tenure, coach needs to figure out how to get these guys up for games better then he is.

Hopefully with a week off they can get a day or two of rest and really focus on UNH. They need a sweep on the road to get them back into PWR contention.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by coots01 View Post
                      Well........Haven't posted for a long while. Not sure who is in charge of the PP or PK, but holy crap!!!Can we be any worse? Keep running the same old ****E and still not score? 9 PP and 1 for 9 brutal!!! Keep playing a freshman who is a -2 on the night and gives the puck away right in front of your goal? Sorry, but Pattyn and Walls played as well as the rest and see 2 shifts in the third and both never got scored on in the first 2 periods. If this team wants to get the tournament then they better learn how to play to their strengths. The supposed "top four" d couldn't keep BU away from our net and gave up a combined -8 on the game. Too many players not getting to play and too many that don't deserve the ice time they are getting.
                      Welcome to a team coached by Kevin Sneddon and a little gas thrown on there with Patrick and Peter You must be used to it if you have watched the team the last 5-6 years. Loss to BU just about shot them in the foot for any tournament hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                        cause a turnover.
                        Agree 100%. He is playing like a man in a boys game. Great to see.

Comment

I don't think their goaltending is good enough to get this team into the NCAA tournament. They have lost at least three games where they flat out dominated the competition and still lost to a better goaltending effort (ND gm 2, PC gm 1, NU gm 2) and they have lost another four games where they were roughly even in play (PC gm 2, Colgate, NU gm 1, BU gm 1). What games were they simply outplayed? I have not seen one yet. The one loss to Maine where it was tied with 5 min to go. I did not see it, I cannot comment. One loss to North Dakota where they were up by 2 goals in 2nd period, did not see it, cannot comment.

The team is good, the goaltending has been average. Stats are ok but that is due to a pretty darn solid team D in front of them. They have not given up a lot of great chances, they have given up plenty of goals on mediocre or poor opportunities. They have been vastly outplayed in net by the opposition IMHO.

I favored Hoffman to get the majority of the PT down the stretch but he has been soft last two outings, Santa has been better but is too small to carry the mail in a high powered slugfest (which they have not really encountered but will with remaining eight games). Until one of these tenders step up they are going to be on the outside looking in. Put a Witt on their team and they are a 2 to 4 loss team right now.

I think they may fair ok from here on out if they come to play every night and they get decent goaltending. I hope they finish top 8 so we get to see a home series. I think they can finish ahead of Umass, BU, Mack, and possibly UML or Maine to keep from being bottom three and traveling.

McCarthy has been awesome to watch but this freshman class is pretty nice also. Obviously Puskarich is a sniper and I think Shaw is going to be a monster before his four years are up. I also like Forgionne and Bradley, I like the immediate future. Get Reynolds back and everyone steps up a bit and they should be solid next year also.

Think snow

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                            Santa has been better but is too small to carry the mail in a high powered slugfest
                            Too small? As in size?
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

This program has come along way under Coach Sneddon. The grass is always greener fans. Give him a new barn and let's see what he can do. Until then any coach is working with less than a full hand. I like this freshman class.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                Glad the Cats came back on Saturday to get the win. It's unfortunate however to let 2 HE points slip away 3 spots in the PWR due to a lackluster Friday night appearance. Those lapses have to stop. This is a good team but until they take care of business against lesser competition that's all they are going to be is a "good" team. This has been a problem throughout Sneddon's tenure, coach needs to figure out how to get these guys up for games better then he is.

Hopefully with a week off they can get a day or two of rest and really focus on UNH. They need a sweep on the road to get them back into PWR contention.
                                Look at the weekend results in hockey East. It seems pretty much every team split the weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X