This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

On to Northeastern... I missed the first game but the stat sheet shows the Cats controlled the play for much of the game and outshot the Huskies by a wide margin, but in the picked up the loss. Theissen Jr. made 44 saves...

Cats need to come out huge and keep the pressure on throughout the game, and more importantly they need to get pucks past Witt who has been outstanding this season. This is a huge weekend for UVM, wins get them back into contention for the NCAA's, two losses would pretty much seal their fate. Hopefully they play with the necessary intensity.

Time to start Hoffman regularly down the stretch, and sit any forwards not producing, or at least demoting them down the lines. If Brickley can't find the back of the net, he should be down on the 3rd line (the 4th line is too good to mess with right now). Really wish we had Reynolds this year, but all in all the team has played pretty well and need to continue that play.

GO CATS GO!
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Interesting part of Ted Ryan's right up in the Burlington Free Press today about players who may have a reputation with the refs and are getting called for hard but clean hits...

The rest of the article is worth reading as well

“It’s making sure (the player) understands that there is a time and a place to be aggressive and maybe understanding certain times of the game aren’t the time to do it,” Sneddon said, who added that UVM’s game plan calls for no big hits in the third period when the Catamounts are leading.

Comment

Unfortunately, typical UVM game. UVM -- no puck in net. Other team -- puck in net. Cats completely dominated through 2 periods and go into the locker room down 1-0, when they could easily have been up 5-0. Very frustrating.

Comment

While the idea to get 3 lines scoring was good its time to put Fallon back on the first line, he has been wasted since
          moving down and the first line outside of the game Fallon sat has struggled.

Dont think NU is too happy with last night, how many times can you get outplayed that bad at home and still win. Well
          so far versus Vermont this year its worked fine.

Powerless play was the killer last night, NU kept trying to help Vt but they wouldnt take it.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
            While the idea to get 3 lines scoring was good its time to put Fallon back on the first line, he has been wasted since
            moving down and the first line outside of the game Fallon sat has struggled.

Dont think NU is too happy with last night, how many times can you get outplayed that bad at home and still win. Well
            so far versus Vermont this year its worked fine.

Powerless play was the killer last night, NU kept trying to help Vt but they wouldnt take it.
            I agree, very frustrating. I enjoyed the first two periods, crisp passing, spreading the puck around and opening things up. I was loving the passes to the point from the corner. On most occasions when they come out of the corner they turn back and try to battle it out against the boards, most of the time losing it. But last night they were passing to the point and opening things up to created chances. Too bad they couldn't capitalize. Then in the third period they couldn't make a pass for the life of them. I wasn't sure if it was NU's intermission adjustments to close passing lanes, or UVM's sloppiness. Hopefully Sneddon will make some adjustments for tonights game and they can come away with a win. Too bad it won't be for any points.

Comment

Glad to see they finally get a score to match the effort against NU. Harsh to outshoot a team 124-67 in a series and
              only get 1 win. On another highnote Brickley didnt have a penalty last night. Thougt I was watching a rerun for the
              first 2 periods and was very happy to see some snipe show up in the third.

Just when you though Hoffman had the edge Santa has a great game and I cant see Sneddon picking only one just yet.

Wonder which BU team we will see next weekend, the one that pressed BC Friday or the one that has gone 0-7-1 in its last 8. Never thought
              we would see a BU team this bad. They have given up 5+ goals 5 times this year. Too bad these games are at BU as they are 0-8
              on the road.

Comment

Glad to see they finally get a score to match the effort against NU. Harsh to outshoot a team 124-67 in a series and
                only get 1 win. On another highnote Brickley didnt have a penalty last night. Thougt I was watching a rerun for the
                first 2 periods and was very happy to see some snipe show up in the third.

Just when you though Hoffman had the edge Santa has a great game and I cant see Sneddon picking only one just yet.

Wonder which BU team we will see next weekend, the one that pressed BC Friday or the one that has gone 0-7-1 in its last 8. Never thought
                we would see a BU team this bad. They have given up 5+ goals 5 times this year. Too bad these games are at BU as they are 0-8
                on the road.
                You're right, a total toss up in net. I would love to have one go to guy, but I have no idea who to pick.

And I am as confused as you are about BU. I do a double take every time I look at the standings. I guess that goes to show you how influential a good coach can be. 40 years of winning with Jack Parker, and they seem to have fallen off a cliff their first year without him.

Comment

It was nice to get the non-conference win and get us back on the NCAA bubble. However, with Hockey Easy tightening up, it would have been really nice to get the first game as well. Granted I didn't see the game, just heard it on the radio, it sounded like after 2 periods of dominating, there were two unnecessary frustration penalties back to back, Northeastern scored on one, then immediately after the second penalty kill ended. It seems like this has happened every close game that has mattered this season, whether it was Lowell, or North Dakota.

The bottom line is, I don't think the coach can keep his team disciplined when needed to win games. He's got to go.
                  Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                  National Champions 1992, 2001
                  21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                  National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                  Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Originally posted by VermontfaninNY View Post
                    It was nice to get the non-conference win and get us back on the NCAA bubble. However, with Hockey Easy tightening up, it would have been really nice to get the first game as well. Granted I didn't see the game, just heard it on the radio, it sounded like after 2 periods of dominating, there were two unnecessary frustration penalties back to back, Northeastern scored on one, then immediately after the second penalty kill ended. It seems like this has happened every close game that has mattered this season, whether it was Lowell, or North Dakota.

The bottom line is, I don't think the coach can keep his team disciplined when needed to win games. He's got to go.
                    You're right. There has never seemed to be much discipline coming from the coach, ie: 4 years of Brickley penalties. I like aggressive play, but stupid penalties at the worst time seem to happen too often. Where are the consequences? Or maybe coach feels there is nothing wrong with these plays. Someone should ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule617 View Post
                      You're right. There has never seemed to be much discipline coming from the coach, ie: 4 years of Brickley penalties. I like aggressive play, but stupid penalties at the worst time seem to happen too often. Where are the consequences? Or maybe coach feels there is nothing wrong with these plays. Someone should ask him.

No discipline? Sneddon sits his good players when they screw up more than most most any coach. Fallon just a few weeks ago dont we forget and Brickley,Letz, Mscoby to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by VermontfaninNY View Post
                        It seems like this has happened every close game that has mattered this season, whether it was Lowell, or North Dakota.
                        When did we play Lowell?

As for losing Friday... It doesn't even matter. Everyone makes the HE tourney, and UVM isn't winning the tourney. They have a shot at the NCAA's and as far as that is concerned Saturdays win counted just as much as Fridays. Bottom line is UVM is on the outside looking in at the current time, the only thing that is going to move them up are wins. Looking ahead they need wins against BU, UNH, and MC at the least. I'd really like to see something along the lines of a 7-3 record to finish out the season, and I think that's reasonable if not slightly optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          When did we play Lowell?

As for losing Friday... It doesn't even matter. Everyone makes the HE tourney, and UVM isn't winning the tourney. They have a shot at the NCAA's and as far as that is concerned Saturdays win counted just as much as Fridays. Bottom line is UVM is on the outside looking in at the current time, the only thing that is going to move them up are wins. Looking ahead they need wins against BU, UNH, and MC at the least. I'd really like to see something along the lines of a 7-3 record to finish out the season, and I think that's reasonable if not slightly optimistic.
                          It's really hard to articulate just how bad BU looked on Saturday night. If Vermont plays like they did against NU they'll destroy the Terriers.
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

I'm pretty sure I meant Notre Dame or Providence, not Lowell. My bad.
                            Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                            National Champions 1992, 2001
                            21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                            National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                            Future National Champions 201?

Comment

No discipline? Sneddon sits his good players when they screw up more than most most any coach. Fallon just a few weeks ago dont we forget and Brickley,Letz, Mscoby to name a few.
                              Well we don't really know why Brickley was benched. You said yourself he was "dinged up." If it was for discipline reasons, a lot of good it did. Maybe a different approach to discipline is needed. Teaching them to play with self discipline would be better. I love the intensity that Brickley plays with, but every time he goes to hit someone a part of me cringes because he goes in so haphazardly. If he could harness his energy and focus it in a disciplined manner, then he would start affecting the game in a positive way, rather then negative.

Comment

On a more optimistic note, Puscharich was named HE rookie of the week for the 4th time in the past 6 weeks. I am really impressed with this kid. Watching the highlight video of the last NU v. UVM game the first goal was just a great play him. McCarthy got him the puck but it was in his feet and in very little space he was able to get a shot off that went in. He has great hands and is going to have a huge impact for this program as long as he is here.

BU this weekend... Cats need these wins big time. In past years UVM has struggled getting up for games against the cellar dwellers, here's hoping they come out hungry and hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X