X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    I think you'll find that 1-0 would also get you the same result. Scoring is usually a pretty crucial part of hockey.
    This is the quote of the year so far. I know I have beat a dead horse with this but we only have 3 wins against teams with a winning record and the stats say if we don't score 2.6 goals per game we wont win. Sneddon's style of play wont unfortunately set the team to do this consistently so as we go through the tougher part of the schedule now, I am fearful we start heading more in the direction of the predictions. The PP is now 47th in the nation again. Who is in charge of that this year? Fire him and give the money to the guy who runs the PK. You OK with that Peter? Can't blame it on poor recruiting now because its his "recruits" on the PP.

Comment

I thought you guys out skated, out hustled us for major parts of the gm last night. On a lot of your 2 on 1s even on the PP, even 5x3.. I noticed that the timing of the passing was off just a bit.. sometimes that's all it takes to have no luck on the scoreboard.

Also.. our goaltender is pretty good this yr & took away most shots he saw coming, our previous tender might have let in. UVM was in the NU end for most of the 3rd.. then we just get that one opportunity the other way.. bam, its a goal. That's how it went all 3 periods. Happens to all teams.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

A for effort and a F for results, sounds like alot of our losses the last few years.

I didnt see the first period (childs band concert) but the last two periods we spent alot of time in the NU zone
        and had many shots in good spots but either hit the goalie in the gut or missed the net entirely. Saw a bunch
        of great passing on the 5X3 but no shooting.

Cant blame having only 5 Def as we dominated the 3rd so they werent tired, again frustrated with Hamilton..on the
        3rd goal he had help inside and let the man beat him outside. And why wont he shot when he is open in the slot?
        He keeps trying to make more moves when he already is in the sweetspot and ends out getting no shot.

Love the play fo the 4th line hope they stay together. Tough night for Macarthy he had the puck in good spots alot
        but wasnt able to bury any but I will live or die on his shot more than anyone elses.
        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Frustrating game, but is part of the growing pains with the young players. I don't remember very many 40+ shot games in the last 3-4 seasons so that is a plus, as was the no-quit effort. And NU is a pretty good team.. its not like losing to SACRED HEART

Comment

Originally posted by VTinNY View Post
            Frustrating game, but is part of the growing pains with the young players. I don't remember very many 40+ shot games in the last 3-4 seasons so that is a plus, as was the no-quit effort. And NU is a pretty good team.. its not like losing to SACRED HEART
            "I think the team that played better tonight certainly won the hockey game" Kevin Sneddon, December 17th, 2013. Ah..gee..ah...thanks coach.

Comment

If I may ask, how does the Catamount Classic work? Since there's a chance the two winners on the first night won't play the next night ...? Just curious.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Usually if there are teams that finish 2-0 I think the official winner is based on total goals scored or margin of victory.
                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  Usually if there are teams that finish 2-0 I think the official winner is based on total goals scored or margin of victory.
                  Thank you.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Ok, I have seen enough of Santaguida to be concerned every shot is going in no matter whether it's a grade A opportunity or not. He's small, he needs to be GREAT to be average and he is not great every night. Hoffman is not spectacular but he is better and more pucks hit him and he rarely EVER gives up a stinker. Santa keeps on giving...... Please play Hoffman 75% of the time

UVM outchanced NU by a large margin, swap goaltenders and the Cats have two points.

Comment

Watching Girgenson (spelling?) the last couple games the that Bruins have been playing the Sabres and it is disappointing we didn't get at least one year out of him. Tough kid too as he has been standing up Lucic a few times and that doesn't happen often. Not sure though if he wasn't drafted by the Sabres if he would be playing up in NHL....

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                        Ok, I have seen enough of Santaguida to be concerned every shot is going in no matter whether it's a grade A opportunity or not. He's small, he needs to be GREAT to be average and he is not great every night. Hoffman is not spectacular but he is better and more pucks hit him and he rarely EVER gives up a stinker. Santa keeps on giving...... Please play Hoffman 75% of the time

UVM outchanced NU by a large margin, swap goaltenders and the Cats have two points.
                        I have to agree with you based on a the little bit I have seen Santaguida. I hate to say it but unfortunately the goalie position is now designed for tall players. They go into the butterfly and need to be tall enough to still cover the upper parts of the goal and small guys just can't do it. With today's composit sticks the shots are coming so fast the small guys can't get back out of the butterfly to block the high shots. I suppose if they have a lightning fast glove and blocker they might have a chance but in today's game I am not sure human reflexes can even be that quick. The NHL is now dominated by big goalies for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post

I don't totally disagree, but I also don't agree entirely. I think Santa is a very capable tender. He has been outstanding several times... and good the rest of the time. When you only see a tender once a week I think games that aren't so great tend to stand out and be magnified.

That said, I agree that at this point I think Hoffman has an edge over Santaguida and should probably see more ice time.

I'm not a fan of rotations at all. While I think it's nice in that opponents are seeing a different goalie and have to prep for two styles, if (as Sneddon is doing) you have a rigid rotation it's not such an advantage. Which tender starts should not be a known or you eliminate the advantage. The negatives are the team must play differently in front of each guy and that requires a constant adjustment, I think it's also a negative from the goalies standpoint as well. There is a reason York rides a single guy down the stretch typically. He gives them the first half to establish themselves and then picks one for the home stretch. It's time Sneddon switches it up some and I hate to say it because I really like Santa, but at this point I would agree that Hoff needs to be the #1 guy with a few starts here and there for Santa.
                          Originally posted by Hokydad
                          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I don't post much, but I read it every day. Didn't you say this in November about the decision to play Hoffman after the first Maine game:

Nice job to the Coaching staff who took a team that was playing well together with confidence in front of an outstanding goaltender and ****ing that up. Hoffman played great but thats really irrelevant. Clearly through the past years the coaches have learned that the mental aspect isn't important at all. This is what the decision to start Hoffman says "hey its only ME lets get Hoff some ice time... " and the players responded with that mentality. Sneddon's quote said it all.... they were outworked. ...... Has to be one of the dumbest things the coaches could have done...

I think they have a good goalie rotation going right now. I expect to see both Santa and Hoff during the remaining non Hockey East portion of the season. I'd guess it will be a pure split to keep them both game fresh. Let's hope someone gets a hot hand. I expect Sneddon will play the hot hand during the Hockey East schedule in January through March.

And Merry Christmas!
                            Last edited by UVMer in VT; 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Hello. Apologies if this was previously asked, but will there be a video stream of the 4pm games this weekend? Thanks in advance.
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                                Hello. Apologies if this was previously asked, but will there be a video stream of the 4pm games this weekend? Thanks in advance.
                                Looks like there will be one here: http://nsnsports.net/
                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                                X