X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
    I'm not one bit surprised by the outcome. In fact that was my anticipated final score. The ND weekend was an aberration until the last 7 minutes of the 2nd game. We need a new arena before anything is going to change. Your placement in the standings is going to mimic your facility to a significant degree because of the impact on recruit perception. Yeah, the Gut is better than the BU arena when it's rocking but the recruits dont see the place when its full and the facilities under the stands are subpar
    wow seriously you must be Sneddon himself because that is the stupidest thing I've read on here in a while when it comes to the arena. If you really think the coaching staff is blameless for performances because they have a bad facility that is a joke last I checked Yale plays in a facility that looks like Gutterson and they won the national title last year. Schneider Arena okay not great Providence turned it around and is a better program than UVM and last I checked UVM put together a winning team in 2009 and say whatever you want about those players and what they might have thought about Gutterson they won so I don't want to hear it isn't possible to win with Gutterson that is an excuse. This teams issues have nothing to do with the ice they play on. Goes way beyond that. Anyone who watches hockey games and maybe actually ventures to a hockey arena that isn't Gutterson can figure that out.

Brickley's penalty shouldn't happen I dont mind that he plays tough and likes to finish checks and all that but it would be really nice if he had the mentality of a top offensive player and not playing like a 4th liner has to remember he isnt in the NHL yet if he even gets there at all he's a disappointment along with the injuries he should look at some tape of Mitchell on how to be a tough two way player.

Would like to see a win or a tie tonight thinking 2-2 tie tonight.

Comment

Yes I did see the penalties. And yes Brickleys was a bad one to take, but when only a few players are playing physical they single themselves out to the refs therefore they get noticed more. I am not defednding lazy penalties or dumb ones but there are lots of circumstancial calls on a few players. Also I was not singling out any one D but was merely making a point that small soft D cannot win the battlesdown low and your comment that one D rarely loses the puck battle seems to me that you wear rose colored glasses or you know one player better than the rest of us. Sure is a crappy feed tonite!!!!

Comment

Brickley hurt us in previous years by his penalties that were simply unnecessary. I cannot figure out if he is trying to impress someone, but he has cost us games before. In fact, he is the one that tried to slap the puck out of the zone against ND when he should have simply passed it out. The puck was stolen from him and that resulted in the first goal for ND. He just hurts us when we don't need it. There is NEVER a good major penalty. Majors are always unnecessary and just undisciplined penalties.

Thus far tonight we are leading, but again we are taking too many penalties. No time to score in the first period as we were killing several penalties.

I have a lot of hope for this team this year. The ND games were not flukes - this team has talent - just stay out of the box ad shoot the **** puck.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...te-maine-rally

UVM 4, Maine 3 - Game Recap. A recurring theme you will notice in the article is Sneddon's displeasure with his upperclassmen in general. He benched a few after last night and didn't like how a few performed Saturday either.
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...te-maine-rally

UVM 4, Maine 3 - Game Recap. A recurring theme you will notice in the article is Sneddon's displeasure with his upperclassmen in general. He benched a few after last night and didn't like how a few performed Saturday either.
            By seniors I am sure he is referring to his captain Lenz, who if he has a set, will sit. All the Brickley talk about dumb penalties, when has Lenz not take a dumb or lazy penalty. You want to make a statement sit your captain who deserves to wear a suit. Then Bruneteau, bad turnover leads to their 2nd goal and a lazy penalty gives them a power play. He should sit as well. If your message is dumb lazy penalties you sit, then apply it here. Our other seniors where already sitting so, this is my assumption on Sneddons venom to seniors. Can't be McCarthy, kid plays all the time! wins battles and rarely is penalized! plus he got what amounted to a big goal.

In retrospect, anyone who at the start of the season would have guessed we would be .500 raise your hand. Current company included, I see no hands. Time to soldier on.

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
              In retrospect, anyone who at the start of the season would have guessed we would be .500 raise your hand. Current company included, I see no hands. Time to soldier on.
              That was exactly my prediction... at least in league play. Although to be fair I was counting on getting swept by Notre Dame and sweeping ME. As far as I'm concerned the Notre Dame win was a bonus, this team can't give points away to Maine. That said it's not the end of the world either. We are sitting tied for third and most teams have played the same number of games in the season so we aren't in terrible shape. I think everyone saw really good things with the Cats play at UND and ND and this past weekend was a let down...
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                That was exactly my prediction... at least in league play. Although to be fair I was counting on getting swept by Notre Dame and sweeping ME. As far as I'm concerned the Notre Dame win was a bonus, this team can't give points away to Maine. That said it's not the end of the world either. We are sitting tied for third and most teams have played the same number of games in the season so we aren't in terrible shape. I think everyone saw really good things with the Cats play at UND and ND and this past weekend was a let down...
                Your the man if you had that. Agreed on other fronts. As a silver lining, we were absolute garbage Friday and yet we were a few minutes from 1 point. Have to wonder if the big weekends, going to UND, then the big arena with PSU then the big ND series was a factor. Let downs happen. Hey the Jags won this weekend, Colts got blasted so letdowns are a part of sports.

Any thoughts on who Sneddon sits?

Comment

Everyone we dont think he will
                  New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I'm guessing no one out of the ordinary. And to some degree I'm not sure he should sit any of the regulars. They have made some mistakes and taken unacceptable penalties. Brickley, Lenz, Walls, are all good for a stupid penalty. Bruneteau has been making some not so great plays... That said, its something that SHOULD be addressed over the course of the week and I expect they all remain in the line up. Changing up the line up is disruptive to these guys, should be avoided as much as possible IMO. If they are made aware that their play is unacceptable then give them a chance the following week. If it's still a problem, then sit them.

These guys are old enough so sitting them is a bit unnecessary... unless it is necessary in which case they should be sitting out pretty much the season... If they do not have the character to recognize how they hurt the team or do not care then they don't need to be on the ice. Brickley likes to hammer people, he has to tone it down. He needs to score, not maul someone. Lenz is the team leader, he has an example to set if he can't keep himself from taking stupid penalties I'd snatch that "C" and give it to someone else. I still think Sneddon is using Bruneteau and Hamilton TOO MUCH. The penalties and bad plays they seem to have, at least to me, seem to all be at the end of the game and I think it is in part an issue of being tired and worn out. The issue being, none of the other defensive pairings are capable of contributing much offensively. The staff should consider splitting them up... put Pattyn with Bruneteau and Lukko with Hamilton or some other combination.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
                      wow seriously you must be Sneddon himself because that is the stupidest thing I've read on here in a while when it comes to the arena. If you really think the coaching staff is blameless for performances because they have a bad facility that is a joke last I checked Yale plays in a facility that looks like Gutterson and they won the national title last year. Schneider Arena okay not great Providence turned it around and is a better program than UVM and last I checked UVM put together a winning team in 2009 and say whatever you want about those players and what they might have thought about Gutterson they won so I don't want to hear it isn't possible to win with Gutterson that is an excuse. This teams issues have nothing to do with the ice they play on. Goes way beyond that. Anyone who watches hockey games and maybe actually ventures to a hockey arena that isn't Gutterson can figure that out.

Brickley's penalty shouldn't happen I dont mind that he plays tough and likes to finish checks and all that but it would be really nice if he had the mentality of a top offensive player and not playing like a 4th liner has to remember he isnt in the NHL yet if he even gets there at all he's a disappointment along with the injuries he should look at some tape of Mitchell on how to be a tough two way player.

Would like to see a win or a tie tonight thinking 2-2 tie tonight.
                      This is what I have been trying to say for four years. Sneddon lets certain kids get away with murder and holds others on a leash les than a mm long. Hockey players don't develop in that kind of environment. Brickley is a ver average player now but not because of his own doing. He was an awesome prospect coming in but Sneddons system and lack of consistent discipline has sent him backwards. Same thing with luukko he is so talented but Sneddon wants him to be a goon. Uvm hockey right now is the most boring product I have seen. If you were a recruit, why would you want that? Decenzo doesn't even play and he was a tremendous playmaker prior to getting here. Anyone with any skill gets snuffed in this system or leaves. This spring you will hear about the greener grass coming in as freshman and Sneddon will begin his annual trek of throwing current players under the bus. It's a different numerator but same denominator every year. Get used to it because it's not gonna change. He doesn't know any other way.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...h-kingston-ohl

Robert Polesello leaves Vermont to sign with Kingston (OHL)

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                          This is what I have been trying to say for four years. Sneddon lets certain kids get away with murder and holds others on a leash les than a mm long. Hockey players don't develop in that kind of environment. Brickley is a very average player now but not because of his own doing. He was an awesome prospect coming in but Sneddons system and lack of consistent discipline has sent him backwards. Same thing with luukko he is so talented but Sneddon wants him to be a goon. Uvm hockey right now is the most boring product I have seen. If you were a recruit, why would you want that? Decenzo doesn't even play and he was a tremendous playmaker prior to getting here. Anyone with any skill gets snuffed in this system or leaves. This spring you will hear about the greener grass coming in as freshman and Sneddon will begin his annual trek of throwing current players under the bus. It's a different numerator but same denominator every year. Get used to it because it's not gonna change. He doesn't know any other way.
                          Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post

Guess you called that one right.. sigh

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post

Anyone know why he chose to leave the program?

Comment

as an outsider, just going off the most recent box score...he was listed on the 4th line. was he getting true 4th line minutes? perhaps he felt he deserved more playing time.

Comment

I saw both Maine games. He got time on the PP.

Comment

Working...
                                X