Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Season starts this weekend - continue!

Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

huskyfan calls a third person violation.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      huskyfan calls a third person violation.
      Um...not the UM-Duh thread?

Comment

What a clever and original thread title.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          What a clever and original thread title.
          Derp (on both counts)

Comment

It's great to see the positive comments about the video stream!

I'm still questioning Mel's difficult non-conference schedule. We'll see how it goes the next two weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              It's great to see the positive comments about the video stream!

I'm still questioning Mel's difficult non-conference schedule. We'll see how it goes the next two weekends.
              What's wrong with a tough non Conference Schedule! And what's so daunting about teams that finished 7th (UMD, Mich) and last MSU) in their respective leagues?
              Last edited by davyd83; 10-07-2013, 09:18 AM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Michigan lost to their Canadian opponent, as did Denver. Like us, NMU also barely beat Laurentian. Looking at the exhibition scores, I think the gap between CIS and NCAA has narrowed in recent years.

Comment

Subscribed.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

While I will admit that the CIS schools are improving talent wise, how much are coaches like Mel amd Walt using these games to trot out the third/fourth line guys and let them have their moment of being top line guys?

The box score from the 20 to 2 slaughter has the same goal scorers as the following weekend versus Michigan Tech. That was a decade ago.

It's not just one thing, between the players getting better trained, CIS/NCAA talent gap narrowing, and a coaching decision to use these games to let some low/no minute guys get ice time.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      What's wrong with a tough non Conference Schedule! And what's so daunting about teams that finished 7th (UMD, Mich) and last MSU) in their respective leagues?
                      You're right, I might be putting too much emphasis on the past and see non-conference road games and assumign several losses heading into conference play.

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary for 10/07/13:

Great crowd, great video board, there were some hiccups with it, but great night
                        It's always nice to come on the ice and see a full building, the students were there early, hope that continues
                        We're doing some things with the video board, only had a 6 minute loop pregame, will add more content to entertain people pre-game and get them in the building early
                        Was Mel distracted by videoboard? Just once looked up, so dialed into the game, use stoppages to do coaching, Mel had to ask people what they thought about it after the game
                        Please email mpearson@mtu.edu with any input on the video board, want it to be something that entertains in addition to the hockey game - Tell Mel your thouths - more band, less band, anything
                        The replays of goals was great for Dirk, especially the 2nd goal after a quick turnover

On the exhibition:
                        A lot of shots in 1st, we talked about it, hard to force offense, sometimes it just wont go in due to the other goalie
                        One standard of play is get off to a fast start, we did that, just didn't go in, had opportunities - 18 shots
                        Their goalie - he held up until the end, could tell he was getting tired - played 4/5 years in OHL, he tested our shooters
                        Don't want 10-0 exhibition game, good to have to work for everything
                        Want to give up 20 or less shots is our goal, once they scored early in 2nd, it gave them life/momentum
                        Pheonix had a very good game, we had a few defensive breakdowns in 1st, he made saves and made it look easy - 13 saves, one goal deflection off Sweeney
                        We need to block those shots, shot blocking was average for the game, both their goals were point shots
                        Good point shot by Leibinger, Petan tip, question of if it was high-stick, so reviewed, only have 1 overhead camera for goal review, difficult to overturn
                        Petan/Kero on 1st two goals - good players, both have good approach to the game, they stay with it, calm players, we'll see if they stay together
                        Over the next few weeks we'll make subtle changes and see how chemistry/players play together
                        This game gave us an idea of where we're at and what we can build on, or need to work on
                        Leibinger - lofted a shot towards the goal instead of hard slap shot seeing Laurentian guy going down to block shot, good job by Chris, critical to find a way to get puck through
                        Petan unassisted goal - went of Dman's stick, good neutral zone pressure to create 2x1, Their Dman took away Baltus
                        Big goal, we were better team, deserved the win
                        On the PP - 0-5, a lot of new guys in diff position, even if only 4 out 5 in same, difficult. liked chances, Seigo was great last year, losing him difficult, Hyland doing pretty good, will take some time
                        Shane Hanna - real good feel for the game, has to learn to continue to play better without the puck
                        Mistakes - some soft passes in zone, got sloppy at times, tried to do too much, a lot of times in offensive zone gave up good chances, tryign to make an extra pass or stickhandle too much
                        Laurentian - they've been on ice a lot more than us, their Dmen really good job of keeping us away from the net, we need to work harder to get to the net, they played clean
                        Only two PK opportunities - disciplined, but need to be a bit more physical, their player that got hurt, Mel went to check on him, he was walking out carrying his bag, he was fine, but maybe Tech players were a little less physical after that hit
                        Mel did talk to Vallis, have to get back into the game, it was a good clean hit on Laurentian player, just looked bad with stretcher etc

On UMD:
                        It'll interesting to see how things go, good to get away on the road, they'll be a hard team to play against with their good speed
                        They were 14-19-5, similar to us, big problem for them was inconsitency and scoring goals, we scored more than them last year
                        Their PP was very good, about 40% of their goals
                        Expect them to split their good Forwards among top 2 lines, they play tomorrow night, will get a bit more info on them after that
                        We want to push our pace of play, we'll work on a few things this week, head over on Thursday
                        They've got 3 freshmen Dmen that might be in lineup, but they have a few more experienced Dmen guys, unlike us with Fillion and Sova out
                        They have a good goalie, big, played well against us last year, need to get traffic
                        Side note by Dirk - Baltus - good infront of the net, he understands his role, big kid, don't quite have the size losing JJ and Gordic
                        Our PK will need to be really good

Questions:
                        Has their been anymore talk about switching to Visors?
                        No recent talk. It's still a hot topic, the NCAA is concerned about liability. Laurentian played with visors and was fine. Mel watched Michigan and Waterloo on FS Detroit yesterday, visors for Waterloo, no issues, It might happen someday, don't know when.
                        Proponents of visors - if everyone has visors, everyone is playing similarily thinking about it. Keep sticks down. Coaches want visors or 3/4 shields, hopefully someday.

With the change in the pairwase putting more credit to a road win, wil big schools play more non-conference road games?
                        Mel careful what to say being on committe. One issue at coaches mtgs in FL, there are a few teams loading up on home games. DU might have played all non-conference games at home last year. Coaches getting concerned. A lot more difficult to win on road. Coaches wanted a level paying field somehow. This criteria will help, a little bonus.
                        Some schools may play on the road more. Bottom line though is usually $$ generated at home games. For example, Madison filling their rink may be more important.
                        Dirk - the bigger schools need the home dates more than others. Mel - wouldn't say that. All schools have a budget. Want it for budget and fans sake. Most coaches pretty good about traveling. Just have to win your games. Hopefully it encourages teams to go on the road. Big time football does the home non-conference games, it's big $$.
                        Overall, is it a good thing? Yes - encourage smaller programs that need home games. Mel understand both sides coming from Michigan. Good perspective, this ruling good for everyone.

UMD will be back here next year, Michigan as well. Mel just had talks with another Big Ten school to get them to Houghton and we'll go down there.

Send questions, dj@themix93.com

It's always tough. Picking a lineup for exhibition, wish we had 4 of them. It's unfortunate and unfair to players.
                        Mel Told our team, Detroit sent down Nyquist, he played every playoff game last year and was good. He got sent down because there wasn't a spot, Babcock said it's unfair. Nyquist will go down and work his way back up. Told our players, some guys wont make roadtrip, but have to keep confidence and be ready for opportunity.
                        We wanted to play all 1st year guys, Patrick Anderson was hurt all year last year. He's looked good in camp, great work ethic, strong. Okay in the game.
                        Max Vallis - couldn't practice with us last year, had to go on the ice on his own. He looks good, offensive instincts, hit a post early.
                        Tyler Heinonen, didn't get as much ice as Mel wanted, due to dressing 5 lines. Tyler played in spurts, a little unfair to him. Did some good things, Needs to play harder without the puck, more urgency defeinsvely.
                        Same for Reid Sturos, he has a bad hand that's just starting to get healthy. Needs to play stronger, mentally and physiaclly.
                        Baltus real good game, played on a good line. Took a bad penalty late though.
                        Neville - playing like a junior, does everythign well. Defensively, works hard, plays physical, best all around freshmen right now.
                        Blake Pietila was okay at center, handled the puck a little too much coming up the ice, first time at Center in a long time.
                        Rix/Eick - PKers, hard to split them up, Mel trusts them
                        Jake Johnstone - where does he fit in, so-so year last year, asked him to pay with more grit, better defensively, offensvie guy when things don't go in net, starts with defense, play well there, then goals go in etc, Expect more out of a senior
                        Malcomb Gould - new year, needs to show more defensively, had a few chances to shoot it and passed it off, do what you're good at, good shot
                        We have a few guys in the same general gray area, want a few forwards to step forward, the first three days this week will tells us a lot

Dressed 7 dmen, only 7 that are healthy:
                        Any temptation to dress 7 Friday night, No we'll go with 6
                        Stebner minus 2, he needs to be steady, he'll play against other teams top players,
                        Him Sweeney, Hyland, Davis, they need to give us a good solid effort every night, so we can sprinkle in freshmen
                        Mel can see 3 freshmen playing this weekend, like Cliff Watson's play, don't notice him, means he's solid
                        Hanna, Leibinger had a good game, physical, told him to be careful, don't need any CFB penalties
                        JImmy Davis - good for him to get in, hasn't payed for so long, can do better than what he showed, may take him some time, looked a bit nervous

Wanted Wintjes in there, but didnt work out
                        Laurentian had a flurry at the end, Jamie looked good
                        Matt's been playing well, told him to keep pushing, he'll get an opportunity at some point, the other two have a leg up due to experience
                        Likely two sophmores will be the two traveling goalies
                        Dieter Kochnan - good guy, had a good pro career, good feel about him, more in the background doing his thing, goalie already have taken to him, he's been on ice with them, need to get him around as much as we can

Excited about this weekend?
                        Reallyed excited about the games, lose sleep due to lineup issues, and things we didn't do well, PP for example, what can we do to make it better, leave Pietila at center or move back to wing?

Replay of the show 6-7ET on WMPL

Comment

I'm guessing the B1G school Mel has talked to is Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I'm guessing the B1G school Mel has talked to is Wisconsin.
                            Or the Indiana club team, since it is a little iffy beating those pesky CIS teams.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ha, EoDS - did not see that the UW thread is titled the same way until just now. Mea culpa.

Comment

Working...
                              X