Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Even if they sorta look like females, I'm sure the Techies will accept them.
    MTU use to bus girlfriends on buses from Detroit and Grand Rapids in the 1970's.
    Last edited by Pink Pony; 02-10-2014, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
      MTU use to bus girlfriends on buses from Detroit and Grand Rapids in the 1970's.
      They don't have the Winter Carnival charter buses any more? That's a shame. Someone needs to start that up again. I don't know all of the locations but I know they had one from Ann Arbor because I had a girlfriend come up.
      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
      Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Props to ticket group for some unique way to get people in the door.

Mel Pearson show summary for 2-10:
        On paper you're supposed to win, all pressure on you, so can be a tough weekend and UAH a hard working team, did what we needed to do
        Some guys getting on a roll, a lot of good things from our team on weekend
        Pietila 6 points, great weekend, starting to play like we expected, has his confidence, move to center has helped him, more involved in the game, nice PPG goals
        The opposite, a move from C to Wing has helped J. Johnstone, played very well, good speed, can use it more playing on wing, played much better at wing than center

On Friday:
        Pietila from Sturos, they enjoy playing together, and D. Johstone added a dimension on that line, can be one of better lines in WCHA
        D. Johnstone on that line can help free up space for Blake P., that line has speed/grit/skill/defensive responsibility
        Had some missed PP opportunities, a lot of non-PP guys sitting on bench, very deliberate on PP, maybe would've rather stayed 5x5 after 1st goal
        UAH worked hard, kept us off our game
        Kero 2 goals in 2nd, his 2nd big goal to get some separation, good play by Rix, Kero skated better than he has all year, noticed his speed
        Pietila PPG, 4-1, PP been good the last 4 games, getting some bounces, Blake in right place at right time, he's really taking off, good for our PP, Hanna much more comfortable
        Leibinger/Hyland +3, plus/minus can be deceiving but both played well, Walker goes under the radar, don't talk about him a lot, but he's been steady making right play, same for Leibinger, freshmen but expectations for him are so high, forget they're freshmen, relying on them so much
        Kero 9 shots on goal, skating great, speed tremendous, Kero missed 3 days of practice due to bumps/bruises, takes good care of himself away from ice, so 3 days off, and not miss a beat
        Impressed with UAH, they play hard/physical between the whistle, good disciplined weekend by both teams
        need to stay out of the box, 5x5 we have more depth than a lot of teams, using that depth more helps our team, don't wear out your top players by being on PP/PK

On Saturday:
        1-1 game after 1, looking at whole weekend, one period got away from UAH, other than that generally close series, credit to UAH, Corbett done an excellent job, they continue to work/play hard, UAH will beat someone down the road
        Pietila in 1st, UAH tied it up after that, upset on UAH goal, good period and then mistake in our zone, bad turnover, told our team after 1st, when we play really good teams, can not make those mental errors, goals are hard to get back, have to play to our standard of play
        Pietila second goal, up 2-1, good goal, gave us momentum
        Rix 3-1, put it on net backhand, goalie though it would be a pass across, turning point in game, got separation
        Eick breakaway, 4-1, blocked shot and goes the other way, he just shoots it, no move, it had been awhile but he can score
        Gould 5-1, from Baltus, liked Baltus Saturday, wanted to get him in BG games, he's looked good in practice, but kept both days same in BG, hard to take players out when things are going well, he's looked good, he's turned the corner like Sturos, he'll be very good, working hard without the puck
        D. Johnstone from Pietila, 6-2, did not like UAH goal, sloppy defense, but good answer, great pass by Blake, difficult pass to shoot, but Johnstone adjusted and great skill/goal
        Neville goal, redirect from point, wanted Dmen to under handle the puck and get shots through, good job Sweeney, good for Neville
        UAH PPG, 9-3, not good on PK, soft, they got a puck through and bounce
        UAH scored after Wintjes went in, shows they didn't give up, credit to them playing hard and push us
        Gould has taken a big step forward, great shot, 4 goals in last 4 games, starting to come on and add secondary scoring
        Vallis first career goal, 10-4, nice shot, he does that in practice, team happy for Max, good sign when team is pulling for everyone else, we have to all be together, we're getting there
        2-4 PP, UAH 2-3 on PP, the game does change with lead like that, but we left ourselves with room for improvement, can't give up 4 goals anytime and expect to win

On WCHA standings:
        They discussed other results in the league
        We have to take advantage of upcoming games, so that we are in a good spot for our bye week in 3 weeks
        Crowds were good this weekend and helped us, important going forward
        NMU 5 of last 8 at home, UAH in last weekend, we just need to take care of business against them
        This weekend is big, stay ahead of UAF, same mindset for NMU, we control our destiny, need to continue to play well
        Tech in 3rd, behind Ferris and Mankato, if Mankato slips up, the last weekend could be for a lot, standings are close
        They discussed some B1G results

Questions: dj@themix93.com

What can be said about Sova's status?
        Dan has not played since the Saturday @ Ferris. Dan missed a lot of hockey they last few years, battling that, working hard in practice, can play any night. The 6 Dmen have played really well. There'll be opportunity down the road.

Dirk - Same for Jimmy Davis and Fillion?
        Davis looks good. The broken hand threw him behind, now the problem is when to get him in with every game so important. The guys ahead of him playing well, including Sova. Jimmy has a redshirt possibility, we'll discuss that after the year.

Can UAH build/sustain a competitive hockey program?
        Yes, they didn't have a league, so tough recruiting being an independent. They have somethign to sell, they can sustain.
        When Mel was at NCAA regional not long ago, UAH was there, played Miami to a tough game.

Does Petan remind Mel of Sean Harrison?
        Mel recruited and coached Sean. He might've been last Tech player to Lead WCHA in scoring. He's similar in skill leavel.
        Sean was faster/quicker. Petan might have a little more high end skill.

Do you think Pietila/Sturos/Johnstone line is best since becoming head coach at Tech?
        Good question, we change lines a lot, tough. They've got everything, Reid will continue to grow. Ask Mel that question next year at this time, they can be one heck of a line.

Dirk - Do lines not stay together as much as they used to? Yes, change things more to get players going etc.
        Mel has every practice since he's been here in a book, can go back and see what lines were on any given day.

Dirk - Copley got both games, is he the guy?
        We have 3 goalies that can play. Wanted to get Pheonix some games, hasn't played as much as Jamie lately and not back to back since GLI. We reevaluate it every week, watch practice etc.

In the home playoff hunt, great promotion.
        If students come to last 3 home games, get playoff games paid for if we get home ice.
        Because WCHA runs playoffs, we have to charge for playoffs, but Tech would pay for your ticket.
        Also, there's a chance for student organization to win $200 to Joey's Only for whatever organization bring biggest group this weekend.

Ticket giveaway trivia. One caller had a question.
        How many minutes could Wintjes play to allow for redshirting? 1/3 of games played. There's a lot of room for a player like Wintjes.

Games against UAF will be fun hockey to watch. Thanks for crowds and support.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          1992-93 - Home playoffs - #4 MTU Huskies vs #5 SCSU Huskies (nine team league)... I was a college frosh, some of you were not even born.

The team was coached by Bob Mancini and stocked with names like Brent Peterson, Pat Mikesch, Jim Storm, John Young and Jamie Ram between the pipes. Pat Mikesch put up THIRTY EIGHT points as a frosh that season and didn't even crack the top three in scoring for MTU! The team was lead by Storm (54), Young (51) and Brent Peterson (42). And that's the team it took to finish 4th in the WCHA that year! I think MTU would love to have just one player with that kind of point production on the roster today.

I have a little item that I found in a yearbook, but I have to get it scanned at work this morning. Also "evil" sites like USCHO forum are blocked at work so I'll just put up the link now, but the image won't work until I actually upload the file. If you get a dead link, you're too early. Check back later.

Ryan J
          Interesting, thanks for posting! A 7:35 Friday start, I wish we still had that. The 7:05 (6:05 CT) starts are early on a Friday!

Comment

It does my heart good to see other coaches say good things about our kids. I rather enjoyed what Chris Bergeron had to say ...

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Congrats to Blake on WCHA Offensive player of the week.
              http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1314/201402/feb11wpm.php

Fox-UP is televising both Tech/NMU games. Good exposure, but hopefully attendance numbers are still good.
              http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...201402117u8j8m

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                Fox-UP is televising both Tech/NMU games. Good exposure, but hopefully attendance numbers are still good.
                Ahh, the old "Dollar Bill Wirtz" marketing plan. Because keeping a product away from your fan base sure helped the Blackhawks for over 20 years...

I'll give you a hint, (barring weather) if they don't show up to the game, they weren't coming anyway. It's great marketing for the two schools, and with the cable/satellite/and antenna reach of TV6, it may help draw interest to either school, which could turn into new tickets sold.

It's not going to hurt the universities by doing this, and it's something that I wish WNMU-TV had tried over a decade ago.

May this experiment turn into a much larger and more successful endeavor in getting Division 1 hockey airtime in the UP.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Ahh, the old "Dollar Bill Wirtz" marketing plan. Because keeping a product away from your fan base sure helped the Blackhawks for over 20 years...

I'll give you a hint, (barring weather) if they don't show up to the game, they weren't coming anyway. It's great marketing for the two schools, and with the cable/satellite/and antenna reach of TV6, it may help draw interest to either school, which could turn into new tickets sold.

It's not going to hurt the universities by doing this, and it's something that I wish WNMU-TV had tried over a decade ago.

May this experiment turn into a much larger and more successful endeavor in getting Division 1 hockey airtime in the UP.
                  I know I'll try to slingbox it. Curious to see if that is better than A1.
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...201402117u8j8m
                    I like to know who set this up?

Comment

I like to know who ownz da Chiefs.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

I agree exposure is good, maybe I'm thinking too much from my viewpoint, but if I lived in the UP, that might be a good night to stay home if I had 200" of snow outside and a kid to get ready to go. Staying in and watching sure seems warmer and easier than heading to the rink.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                          I agree exposure is good, maybe I'm thinking too much from my viewpoint, but if I lived in the UP, that might be a good night to stay home if I had 200" of snow outside and a kid to get ready to go. Staying in and watching sure seems warmer and easier than heading to the rink.
                          Blasphemy. If 200'' of snow is an issue for you getting ready to go anywhere, you're not going to function well in the Keweenaw. This isn't Atlanta I don't think my parents ever missed a hockey game due to weather even with the 3 kids to get ready.
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                            Blasphemy. If 200'' of snow is an issue for you getting ready to go anywhere, you're not going to function well in the Keweenaw. This isn't Atlanta I don't think my parents ever missed a hockey game due to weather even with the 3 kids to get ready.
                            agreed. i don't think i've ever heard of a fan not going to a game due to weather. especially in the Keweenaw. take it from someone who grew up there.
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

GAME DAY!
                              It may be Valentines Day, but I am in favor of showing Alaska no love in our building. All the months of off-season dry land work, the hours in the weight room, all those days avoiding the injury prone treadmill, the skating, the drills, the chalk-talk in the locker room, the prep work, the film sessions, scrimmages, the bumps, the bruises, the long bus rides to play the best possible non-conference teams, the sweat and blood. It all pays off this weekend. Remember - The team did it all to make sure we would beat the Nanookies.
                              http://youtu.be/JTMVOzPPtiw

Go Tech!
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                GAME DAY!
                                It may be Valentines Day, but I am in favor of showing Alaska no love in our building. All the months of off-season dry land work, the hours in the weight room, all those days avoiding the injury prone treadmill, the skating, the drills, the chalk-talk in the locker room, the prep work, the film sessions, scrimmages, the bumps, the bruises, the long bus rides to play the best possible non-conference teams, the sweat and blood. It all pays off this weekend. Remember - The team did it all to make sure we would beat the Nanookies.
                                http://youtu.be/JTMVOzPPtiw

Go Tech!
                                Ryan J
                                It's amazing how much 2 successful weekends can do to the outlook on this team. I knew this team could go on a run, I just wasn't sure they'd be able to get over that hump. They have, with an impressive sweep at Bowling Green and a rather expected sweep of UAH. I don't think anyone thought they'd score 14 goals at Carnival. If the confidence they've built over the last 2 weeks translates into a more potent offense, they should be going for the throat this weekend. Two more wins this weekend and a 6-game streak would put them solidly in a spot for home ice. This weekend is big to continue that push.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X