Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    I'm glad bbdl brought this up, as it is a disturbing trend. We've had a number of players come in with great promise, then flatline as upperclassmen. I realize some of this has been due to injuries, but it seems to be the main reason for Tech's low scoring. Interestingly, Tech usually outshoots opponents, but the shots don't go in. Petan, Neville and Kero can't continue to carry the team's offense. We need more offensive depth. Now is when losing Khaira really hurts.
    Losing Seigo hurt a lot more - the powerplay is not working, and is the main reason we're sitting where we are, in my opinion.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

The Mining Gazette's weekend preview article. Not much content in there.

Tech returns to WCHA play against Lake State
      http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

This is a big weekend considering if we don't get many point this weekend, points will be pretty hard to come by the next two weekends against Ferris.

Comment

Another year without home playoffs looking likely. Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Another year without home playoffs looking likely. Hurrah!
          Such is the price of the Perpetual Losing Culture at MTU.

Comment

About time Tanner! Good Win, but they need to make these wins a little easier. 51 Shots...72 attempted...3 goals. Gotta bury the grade A's

Comment

It was wonderful to see the huskies get the split this weekend but it's still more of the same, making the other goalie look amazing. The other troubling thing was how often they seem to give up a goal shortly after tying or taking the lead. Can't have letdowns like that.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I didn't get to listen or watch any of the games this weekend. Can anyone clue me in on how well Phillips played?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I didn't get to listen or watch any of the games this weekend. Can anyone clue me in on how well Phillips played?
                  I didn't watch that closely but from what I saw, I thought he played well. To be honest, I think not playing him more might be one of the bigger mistakes of this season. Splitting time between him and Copley might have helped push the other to do better. From what we've seen of Phillips, I don't understand why he hasn't gotten more of a chance.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

a split with number 18? I'll take it.

from what I hear on the radio, Tech has solid goaltending and outrageously good defense, but, sadly, they can't score. or at least don't score very often.
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

A lot of good info today I thought. I think I'm buying into Mel optimism for scoring in the 2nd half, several players are warming up.

Mel Pearson show summary for 1-6:

Great to be back in CC, been gone for a few weeks, love the cold and snow

Want more, like that about our team, they're not satisfied
                      played well and had a chance to win both nights, better scoring opportunities Friday, goaltending difference on Friday, Pheonix a little shaky
                      Straight on shots in 1st on Friday, not Pheonix like, a little concern with inconsistency, twice he's had to be pulled, BG and LSSU, Jamie did a real good job

On Friday:
                      1st 5 mins, great start, we were ready to play, LSSU hadn't played in 20 days, liked our forecheck, it created turnover/scoring opportunities, we were skating
                      Lineup changes sparked our team also
                      Tech leads 1-0, real good start, good goal by Hietila, we'll need more like that
                      Pietila played center this weekend, he did a good job, skated much better, had puck more, liked his play this weekend, and liked this line with D. Johnstone and Hietila
                      We've missed D. Johstone, he's a difference maker, creates offense and excitement, careful bringing him back, wanted him to beg us to play, he came in and said he's ready to play, he probably could've played in GLI, made decision as a staff that 1 more week would be ideal
                      He'll make a huge difference in PP and offense, he's a good hockey player, missed 12 games
                      LSSU scores, wrist shot after a turnover, concern this weekend how LSSU would score quickly after Tech goals, our Dman created a bit of a screen, normally Pheonix has that one
                      LSSU SHG, lazy pinch by Tech Dman, didnt'get puck or player, our other Dman could've played it a bit better, gave LSSU too much room to shoot on 2x1, Pheonix too far back in paint
                      LSSU 3-1, goal deflected, not a great job blocking shots or shooting lanes Friday, much better Saturday, easy goal, didn't like that goal
                      Furne goal in 2nd, but Sweeney intercepts pass, good transition, good play by Sturos to Furne, Sweeney also went hard to the middle, giving room to Furne to shoot, like that Furne is starting to get hot
                      Eick ties it 3-3, Mel thought we had a good third period, huge goal, attempted shots in 3rd, 35-14 in favor of Tech, we had a lot of Grade A chances, Baltus, Petan etc
                      Kopalaka was difference and cross bar hit by Tech, good conditioning, felt we deserved better
                      LSSU GWG, 4-3, tipped in front
                      Can't fault our effort against a good team, attempted 42 shots, 18-21 Grade A chances to their 5
                      If you score 3 on the road you should win, comes down to team defense, block shots, key saves, didn't do enough good things without the puck

On Saturday:
                      LSSU scores first, some blown coverage on PK, we watched video on their PP, and didn't execute what we wanted, back to back Penalties, tough two PKs in a row, liked our discipline all weekend though
                      Pietila PP goal, one of best PP in a long time, made some changes on that unit, having D. Johnstone will really create opportunities, real nice job moving the puck, had Petan on the point, great patience, Blake P. warming up, skating much better
                      Really bullish on our offense with David, Furne, Blake warming up, Eick has scored
                      Furne, Tech 2-1, off the rebound, from Stebner/Sturos, big goal, did a good job at Offensive blueline, need to continue to improve there, with teams collapsing downlow, Dmen have room at Blueline, need to shoot the puck with authority, need to improve there
                      Stebner, good hard wrist shot, Furne gets rebound and goal, thought we'd take off from there
                      LSSU goal a min later, 2-2, we got out of position, two players ran into each other, we had done a good job against that top LSSU line all weekend, didn't like timing, have to do better job with faceoff in our zone
                      Kero GWG, Sturos great job at end of shift, he won race/battle behind the net, quick pass and shot, no time for goalie to react, huge goal, had a great 3rd
                      This is game of hockey, we got that break at 8 min mark, ref signals goal, but after replay it never went in net, so refs got it right no goal for LSSU, game of inches
                      Shots 51-29 for Tech, 93 shots on weekend, getting good chances, breakaways, 2x1s, slot area etc,
                      offense work in progress, seeing secondary scoring, Neville creating opportunities, but needs to hit the net, going high/hard, we'll have 4 strong lines every night, like our PP going forward

Tied for 4th in WCHA, we've gotten points in every WCHA series, important going forward, need to find a way to come out of Ferris with points,LSSU outshot/outplayed Ferris just before Xmas
                      So important to get 2 points against LSSU, 2 games in hand on BSU also tied in 4th, behind BG and Ferris, tough schedule going forward, but we played a tough early scheduled, should be well prepared

On WCHA Standings:
                      Battle in the middle of the pack, talked about that with team, wrote standings on the board, so teams could see where things are at, be honest with our team, how tight things are and how 2 points affects standings
                      We're in good shape, .500 and 4th place, 7 home and 7 road left

Sturos - for the most part, earned a spot until he makes a mistake, has earned his way into lineup, with consistency, defense, hustle, offense will come for him
                      Sturos has to play against their top line on the road, if you can do that, you've earned the coaches trust, help confidence when you're in the lineup
                      Rix a healthy scratch Friday, great defensive game Saturday night with blocked shots on PK, Eick took a boarding call, Rix blocked 3 or 4 shots, outstanding job
                      He didnt play Friday, we're looking for more, he's a senior, we want more in some areas, can't be satisfied being in the lineup, told team we'll turn the heat up this 2nd half, have higher expectations
                      Seniors have to earn their spots, Sova didn't play Sat, was a -3 Friday, has to try to play better defensviely, Hyland came in and played well and the team won, this is about the team, MTU hockey
                      Need everyone to buy in, not saying we aren't, but want to be on same page and put the best lineup for MTU, not for individual, no one is safe, we have 2 Cs and As, 3 of them have sat this year, can't be afraid to sit players
                      Easy to take out players that aren't star players, tougher to take Cs out, they're elected, good people, but expect more out of our top people, want to make sure they're living up to expectations
                      We have good depth on this team, this is healthiest we've been all year, next weekend we'll have availability for everyone on our roster for 1st time this year

Ferris state:
                      Lost to Colgate Saturday, had gone 15 games without a loss,
                      they have seniors that played in frozen four, they have great goaltending and play well at home, biggest thing is they play well as a team that works hard and together
                      CJ Mott, 15-1-3, .927 %, he might be best in league, consistent, know what you'll get game in/game out, very simple and effective
                      They spread around goal scoring, that's why we need 3-4 lines that can play against anyone
                      tough rink, smaller building, things happen quick, thing can get out of hand in a hurry, need to limit turnover, good goaltending,
                      we know what to expect from our tough 1 goal games this year, another playoff hockey game for Tech

Attendance at LSSU:
                      Dirk - 1300 and 1400, make you appreciate our great fans?
                      Tough situation, next year we were scheduled to play at the same time, Mel called LSSU, want to shift it to October, both have an open weekend? He was all for it, trying to help him out, good for both teams to have good crowds in building.
                      It'll be a good rivalry, they played hard/clean/disciplined
                      No question our fans have been fantastic, our home games have been so spread out though
                      We really do need our fan support

Questions for Mel:
                      Don Lucia coached World Juniors how is that decided?
                      USA Hockey sits down and looks at candidates, and figure out who they'd like to coach.
                      Mel coached in 1997, as an assistant with Jeff Jackson and Greg Cronin, he's at Maple Leafs now. Got 2nd, great tournament, get best 18-20 year olds in world, fantastic compeition. If he was ever asked, he would love to coach again.

What is your overall thought on goaltending this year?
                      Inconsistent, Pheonix has had some strong games, and then some just okay games. Jamie has had same thing. Wintjes is dark horse, he's looked good, really good. Not sure on when his opportunity is coming. Pheonix has proven he can do it.
                      It's the bad goals you should stop, they deflate your team, gets other team going. Have to get those out of your game. Even WMU goal at GLI, not sure how it goes in, it just rolls in, don't want to lose a championship on a goal like that. Harder to live with losing in those situations.
                      Good for Jamie to get a win on Sat.

Will you stick with Phillips on Saturdays?
                      Not sure, we put a lot of stock in practice. Jamie has earned another start for sure, maybe even on Friday.

Regarding Jamie Phillips, is Mel going to give him more of an opportunity to play?
                      If you win, you'll get more of an opportunity. He's really had 2 decent games, coming in on Friday. And then on Saturday. He's earning more credit.

Are players coached to go down on 1 knee to block shots?
                      Yes, makes themselves bigger, want to be in line with stick, not the player. Mel's not a big advocate of falling down or going down on both legs.

Good questions today. Our fans are knowledgeable. They understand, have a feel for what coaches are doing. Good to get some questions, and feedback from fans.

Ferris will be a great challenge. The building is very low ceiling, everyone is right on top of you, not sure on dimensions, but it feels smaller, happens quick.
                      It'll be a good challenge, not many time we've been outshot or outplayed this year. 7 1 goal losses, only game we've ben out of this year is ND, in it until refs got involved.

Comment

Hot goalie and our fickle offense... I'm a bit worried about this weekend.
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Thanks for the recap. If Colgate can do it, we can do it, but it is tough in Big rapids. You have to be patient, and get the first goal.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Congrats to Reid. He's played well for a guy that we didn't know would carry over as a Jamie recruit.

WCHA Rookie of the Week Reid Sturos - Freshman, Forward Michigan Technological University Michigan Technological University forward Reid Sturos, who contributed three points, five shots on goal, and earned a +2 plus/minus rating in a road series split at nationally-ranked Lake Superior State last weekend, has been named the WCHA Men's Rookie of the Week for Jan. 7, 2014. A 6-2, 175-pound freshman right winger from South Lyon, Mich., Sturos opened the two-game, Jan. 3-4 series with an assist in a one-goal, 4-3 loss to the host Lakers last Friday night. With MTU trailing 3-1, he helped set up a second period goal by Ryan Furne that closed the gap to one before the Huskies rallied to tie it at 3-3 at 7:34 of the third. Sturos then came back with two more assists last Saturday evening, including the primary helper on Tanner Kero's third period game-winner, as Michigan Tech earned a 3-2 victory to secure two key points on the road. His first assist of the evening came on a go-ahead goal by Furne at 8:47 of period two. Sturos, who entered the weekend with just one career point – an assist vs. Bowling Green State on Dec. 13 – now has four assists in 14 games played. Also nominated: Marcus Basara, F, UAF; Chad McDonald, F, FSU; Mathias Dahlstrom, G, NMU - See more at: http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1314/201....QHoBS0Kk.dpuf

Comment

Bump off Page 2.

Obviously a big weekend for the team, I'm expecting to see Jamie in net tonight.

Comment

Before you sit down to watch/listen to tonight's game versus Ferris State, check out the latest recruiting article on THG. Just published an article on late bloomer, Mason Blacklock.

http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2014/...ing-in-vernon/

Comment

Working...
                                X