This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Say what you want about who they have played. Point taken. It's not the fact they won those games but how they won those games. When you beat teams by 4 to 6 goal margins, its a pretty good sign even if they aren't the top of the hill in quality.

As for the #1 in the polls thing, let's be honest... we aren't going to keep that rank the entire regular season and the players know it. We will eventually lose and somebody else will get the nod so I am not sure why anybody would be concerned about it happening.

Nobody gives a squat about these polls other than a certain percentage of fans and some of the talking heads in the media. The players and coaches know it means nothing and that is all that matters.
    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      I'll be more impressed if the Gophs are doing well mid and late season and the frosh are still in those spots. Hard to judge this early in the season and against mostly teams with less talent. In the next couple series, we'll be able to better gauge how the frosh are adjusting to college hockey.
      Never have truer words ever been spoken. That said, it's plainly obvious to me that our freshman class may be the strongest the Gophers have had in quite some time. I am very anxious to see how they respond when pitted against what could be the most talented team they'll face all season.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        Say what you want about who they have played. Point taken. It's not the fact they won those games but how they won those games. When you beat teams by 4 to 6 goal margins, its a pretty good sign even if they aren't the top of the hill in quality.

As for the #1 in the polls thing, let's be honest... we aren't going to keep that rank the entire regular season and the players know it. We will eventually lose and somebody else will get the nod so I am not sure why anybody would be concerned about it happening.

Nobody gives a squat about these polls other than a certain percentage of fans and some of the talking heads in the media. The players and coaches know it means nothing and that is all that matters.
        I think when WI is up there too high and gets hammered twice, more of us may care simply for the built in rips on bucky, and that's never a bad thin.

I also don't think we're concerned about #1. It's more of a validation. We always knew we were the best so it's about freakin' time the pollsters finally do a few weeks into the season. Plus bucky ahead of us? I think not. tArrogance!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          I think when WI is up there too high and gets hammered twice, more of us may care simply for the built in rips on bucky, and that's never a bad thin.

I also don't think we're concerned about #1. It's more of a validation. We always knew we were the best so it's about freakin' time the pollsters finally do a few weeks into the season. Plus bucky ahead of us? I think not. tArrogance!

In years past, the #1 has been an anchor. And is typically so for other teams, this year already UML, Miami and WI have gone down while they were rdy to accept the honor. I will say that the gophers had it much of last year and this still appears to be a confident bunch...so I think they will look past it as well as most teams.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

The next 4 games should shed a little more light on what kind of team this Gopher squad is this year.

2 at home against BC and 2 on the road against Notre Dame.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              In years past, the #1 has been an anchor. And is typically so for other teams, this year already UML, Miami and WI have gone down while they were rdy to accept the honor. I will say that the gophers had it much of last year and this still appears to be a confident bunch...so I think they will look past it as well as most teams.
              The one unique thing about the Gophers is #1 doesn't make them any more of a target. MN is always a game circled on opponents schedule so adding a #1 to that doesn't add much more. I guess that's a good thing....I think.

Comment

Thoughts from the weekend:

-Fasching, thus far, looks like a STUD.
                -This team is ridiculously fast. Already knew this, but they looked even faster live and in person for my first games this year.
                -Bemidji probably isn't a very good hockey team, but two road wins with those kinds of margins are hard to complain about.
                -I thought Isaackson looked horrible on Saturday night.
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                  Thoughts from the weekend:

-Fasching, thus far, looks like a STUD.
                  -This team is ridiculously fast. Already knew this, but they looked even faster live and in person for my first games this year.
                  -Bemidji probably isn't a very good hockey team, but two road wins with those kinds of margins are hard to complain about.
                  -I thought Isaackson looked horrible on Saturday night.
                  I agree with you on the Isackson comment. One shift in particular I counted three turnovers by him. No doubt he has skill, but at times it appears a s though he has trouble anticipating. I would say it's a confidence issue, but he got top line minutes at times last season and didn't impress. Hope he figures things out or I am sure Guertler will be pressing him for playing time when he gets back. And in all honestly, I think Guertler is better suited than Isackson (skillset wise) to play a 3rd line role as it is.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    I agree with you on the Isackson comment. One shift in particular I counted three turnovers by him. No doubt he has skill, but at times it appears a s though he has trouble anticipating. I would say it's a confidence issue, but he got top line minutes at times last season and didn't impress. Hope he figures things out or I am sure Guertler will be pressing him for playing time when he gets back. And in all honestly, I think Guertler is better suited than Isackson (skillset wise) to play a 3rd line role as it is.
                    Don't know if it a lack of confidence, or too much sometimes. He usually gets in trouble because he tries to hold the puck too long. Sometimes he does this and stickhandling bails him out of a spot where I am sure he'll lose it. Other times, he just loses it. He seems to think at times that he can carry it through 3 opponents, when everyone else will pass. The biggest issue to me is consistency. He has games wherer you just notice the good, and others where it is reversed.

Comment

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Don't know if it a lack of confidence, or too much sometimes. He usually gets in trouble because he tries to hold the puck too long. Sometimes he does this and stickhandling bails him out of a spot where I am sure he'll lose it. Other times, he just loses it. He seems to think at times that he can carry it through 3 opponents, when everyone else will pass. The biggest issue to me is consistency. He has games wherer you just notice the good, and others where it is reversed.

Comment

New USA Today poll is out:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls/

Sure hope it's the same next Monday.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Surprised that close to unanimous. Hasn't ND only allowed like 3 goals in 4 games? And Ylae hasn't given up a single goal this season.

Comment

As I said on GPL, with the mistakes and turnovers he makes, I'd rather watch a younger guy out there. I'd expect a frosh to make mistakes like Isaackson has this year. I expect more/better from a guy that played the kind of meaningful shifts that Isaackson did last year.
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              As I said on GPL, with the mistakes and turnovers he makes, I'd rather watch a younger guy out there. I'd expect a frosh to make mistakes like Isaackson has this year. I expect more/better from a guy that played the kind of meaningful shifts that Isaackson did last year.
                              No disagreement with that at all. Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post

Post game on Saturday tDon was asked about possibly seeing the Gophers at #1 and he said he thought at this point the Gophers have a ways to go to earn that. At one point he said, "we've had elite teams here and this team is not yet elite". I'm sure that message will be delivered to the team in no uncertain terms from the staff. Still lots of room for improvement, especially with special teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X