This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    I hope not, I would rather some other team be the "#1" team and let us just hang around in the background. Sometimes the poles,pohls,polls can be a distraction, my opinion anyway.
    I feel that way too.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

I hope not, I would rather some other team be the "#1" team and let us just hang around in the background. Sometimes the poles,pohls,polls can be a distraction, my opinion anyway.
      How about being the #1 team going into one of the most important series of the year with BC?

I made that point the other day when goph fans were ecstatic about WI going down in flames Friday night.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

I agree too, but they are there and you can't hide. No matter where they have you ranked it should not affect your game.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So what are the strengths and weaknesses of this years Gopher team? Seems like you lost a great deal of top end talent from last year, but am assuming there was plenty of talent in the lower classes and in the pipeline. With BC being at full strength, I don't see another total blowout like we suffered last year. BC returns 4 or so very good to elite level players, but the rest of the returning players are more what you would call role players. They do however have an excellent freshmen class that has been contributing significantly so far and that they'll need to have keep contributing for them to be successful. Not really a #1 goalie yet, though both Demko and Billett have looked pretty good. I was pretty high on BC after they throttled UW, but those feelings have been tempered a bit after seeing what BU did to UW last night. Should be a great weekend of fast, clean and exciting hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
            So what are the strengths and weaknesses of this years Gopher team? Seems like you lost a great deal of top end talent from last year, but am assuming there was plenty of talent in the lower classes and in the pipeline. With BC being at full strength, I don't see another total blowout like we suffered last year. BC returns 4 or so very good to elite level players, but the rest of the returning players are more what you would call role players. They do however have an excellent freshmen class that has been contributing significantly so far and that they'll need to have keep contributing for them to be successful. Not really a #1 goalie yet, though both Demko and Billett have looked pretty good. I was pretty high on BC after they throttled UW, but those feelings have been tempered a bit after seeing what BU did to UW last night. Should be a great weekend of fast, clean and exciting hockey!
            As I see it:

Strengths:
            1) Goaltending - Wilcox can steal a game
            2) Transition game & speed - they turn from defense and offense in a hurry & effectively
            3) Depth - cracking this lineup is not easy
            4) Relentless forechecking and as a team they move as well without the puck as any Gopher team I can remember.

Weaknesses:
            1) PK has not been bad but I see room for improvement
            2) Young - Several freshman in significant roles. Maybe not a weakness but certainly could catch up with them as the quality of opposition improves
            3) Can be a little too casual with the puck on the blue lines trying to make plays & subsequently do and will give up odd man rushes

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Not much to critique about last night considering it was a 5-1 win that never felt in doubt even when down 1-0. Sure the PP was ofer, but there is no reason to assume it won't after only 4 games in. The PK went from 50% the night before to stopping all PPs, clearly because they pressured the puck more than they had on Friday.

It is a young team still and it will be good to have BC in this early to show the kids what they're going to be up against come NCAA time.

Comment

The Gophers did lose quite a bit over the offseason. They graduated only one senior (Seth Helgeson), but lost Nick Bjugstad (leading goal scorer), Erik Haula (points leader), Nate Schmidt (All-American defender), Zach Budish (captain), and Mark Alt to the NHL.

They lost quite a bit of size up front and on the back-end, but what they lost in size they replaced with blazing speed. They brought in a number of freshmen forwards and two freshmen defenders this season. The forwards are highlighted by Taylor Cammarata (USHL player of the year with 93 pts), Justin Kloos (2012 MN Mr Hockey with 87 pts in USHL last season), Hudson Fasching (spent last two seasons with NTDP and has been a force along the boards and in front of the net this year), Vinni Lettieri (28 goals for Lincoln last season), and Gabe Guertler (currently suspended, but put up 31 goals for Fargo last season). They also get Connor Reilly (back from injury that had him miss all of last season) back as a red shirt freshman. He tore up the BCHL a few years ago on that Penticton team that won the league.

Defensively they bring in Mike Brodzinski, who had a solid season last year with Muskegon, and Jake Bischoff, who was a star for Grand Rapids in MNHS last season. They have been the pleasant surprise for me as they haven't been playing at all like freshmen.

As for returners, they bring back Kyle Rau (always the agitator with a nose for the puck), Nate Condon (extremely fast and heady player), Ben Marshall and Mike Reilly (very skilled offensive defensemen), Sam Warning (leads the team and nation with 5-4-9 so far this year), and Brady Skjei (1st round draft choice if Rangers).

This Gopher squad is an awful lot like your BC squad. Extremely fast, extremely skilled, yet very young. Should be a pretty fast paced pair of games, especially on the big ice. Should be a very fun weekend of hockey!
                Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-20-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Not much to critique about last night considering it was a 5-1 win that never felt in doubt even when down 1-0. Sure the PP was ofer, but there is no reason to assume it won't after only 4 games in. The PK went from 50% the night before to stopping all PPs, clearly because they pressured the puck more than they had on Friday.

It is a young team still and it will be good to have BC in this early to show the kids what they're going to be up against come NCAA time.
                  It will be interesting to see how they play against a team that (from what I hear) can match them step-for-step in team speed.

Comment

I don't claim that team ranking has zero interest to me. It doesn't matter at all once the season is over where they were unless they end in that spot, but it is fun to see your team in 1st, despite how subjective it is. But this early in the season, it is difficult to get too excited. UNH is the only team MN has played that should have given them a game, so we really don't know how good they are.

And as for the #1 ranking firing other teams up, I agree to a point. But when you are one of the top programs in the country, everyone is already pretty fired up to play you. And BC has the added incentive to undo the memory of last year's drubbing, so I don't see being #1 as really giving BC much added incentive. I think it can be good for this team to feel that kind of pressure now, of defending #1, and see how they respond. It can only help them later in the year.

We'll know a lot more after the next few series....
                    Last edited by Koho; 10-20-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

BTW- with BC next, I thought there would be a series thread already. (Don't forget the icon in front!)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        I don't claim that team ranking has zero interest to me. It doesn't matter at all once the season is over where they were unless they end in that spot, but it is fun to see your team in 1st, despite how subjective it is. But this early in the season, it is difficult to get too excited. UNH is the only team MN has played that should have given them a game, so we really don't know how good they are.

And as for the #1 ranking firing other teams up, I agree to a point. But when you are one of the top programs in the country, everyone is already pretty fired up to play you. And BC has the added incentive to undo the memory of last year's drubbing, so I don't see being #1 as really giving BC much added incentive. I think it can be good for this team to feel that kind of pressure now, of defending #1, and see how they respond. It can only help them later in the year.

We'll know a lot more after the next few series....
                        All good points Koho.

Comment

Bring on the number 1 ranking, we are the best program in the country no matter where we are ranked.

Comment

Damm, sounds like you guys have some freshmen that can play!

Comment

Damm, sounds like you guys have some freshmen that can play!
                              In terms of points, #s 2,3 and 5 on the team. On a highly ranked team with some pretty solid returners, that's a pretty good statement so early in the season.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                In terms of points, #s 2,3 and 5 on the team. On a highly ranked team with some pretty solid returners, that's a pretty good statement so early in the season.
                                I'll be more impressed if the Gophs are doing well mid and late season and the frosh are still in those spots. Hard to judge this early in the season and against mostly teams with less talent. In the next couple series, we'll be able to better gauge how the frosh are adjusting to college hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X