Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

I really liked the way the team played Thursday, and thought they did most everything right but not capitalize on a couple-three more of the tremendous scoring opportunities that they generated. The Gophers were faster, more skilled and were beating the Badgers to the puck all over the ice that first night, especially early on, and when the final buzzer sounded I was disappointed but thought the team deserved a better fate - a tie at least. But, as Lucia said afterwards, that's hockey sometimes. And I can think of several games that the team had played up until then that they probably deserved to lose, but always seem to pull them out, often surviving some close calls at the end.

But the rematch on Friday was a different thing altogether. Here the Gophers were simply out-worked and out-played for long stretches of the game. If anything, I thought, Wisconsin could have easily won by 3 or 4. Still, with a little luck and the usual stellar goaltending, they were never really out of the game on the scoreboard, but based on how the game was going I had no reason to be optimistic they would get the equalizer and send it to OT.

Despite the recent surge the power play obviously struggled this weekend, and again is cause for concern. To me they rely too much on trying to set up the long one-timer which, unless you have bodies in front, is a low-percentage play. All too often that shot gets blocked or misses, and the puck is cleared the length of the ice. I think the team needs to show a little more patience, control the puck more while moving it quicker but not shooting until there are guys in front ready to deflect it or get the rebound....or work for shots from the slot or the backdoor play.

Would be great to sweep Michigan at home next weekend and get back in the driver's seat for the first-ever Big Ten regular season championship.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      We'll likely be back down to 5 defensemen again. You can either blame the player who left or the coaches who didn't see it coming and shore it up. Either way it's not good to be playing short again.
      With the talent and conditioning we have at D, we'll be ok. I blame Vannelli for being a quiter.

Banners are such rare things it's disappointing to have to think that one is gone already.
      I see you're in rare form again. MORE!!!

Comment

Upcoming series is going to be two ****ed off teams.

Should be a good one.

Olympic sheets suck. Our helmets our better than yours.
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
          Upcoming series is going to be two ****ed off teams.

Should be a good one.

Olympic sheets suck. Our helmets our better than yours.
          Typical Uglies fan with delusions of grandeur and an ugly helmet complex.

Comment

Our helmets rule. We're the only maroon and gold team to go with the gold lids.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
              Our helmets our better than yours.
              Our grammar is better than yours. Just don't go to GPL to verify.

Comment

Ill still hope and root but I think Michigan now has the inside track.
                Just so we're clear, ignoring the PSU win tonight, you think because Minnesota got swept at Wisconsin for their first conference losses of the season that Michigan gained the inside track?

This is the same Michigan team that also got swept at the Kohl Center, and also only got 5 points in their home series against the Badgers?

Obviously, the Gophers have to improve, and all 4 upcoming games against Michigan will be huge, but isn't it a bit early to be jumping off the ledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                  Obviously, the Gophers have to improve, and all 4 upcoming games against Michigan will be huge, but isn't it a bit early to be jumping off the ledge?
                  Try to follow along ok...the season ended Friday night in Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                    Just so we're clear, ignoring the PSU win tonight, you think because Minnesota got swept at Wisconsin for their first conference losses of the season that Michigan gained the inside track?

This is the same Michigan team that also got swept at the Kohl Center, and also only got 5 points in their home series against the Badgers?

Agreed. Setting aside the PSU series...I have always felt comfortable the MI would not be in the running for the B1G. We have 4 games against them yet...and as usual, we match up well against them. I was nervous about WI as they are designed to counter the gophers (and always have been)...but I see us getting 3 of 4 games from MI.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Agreed. Setting aside the PSU series...I have always felt comfortable the MI would not be in the running for the B1G. We have 4 games against them yet...and as usual, we match up well against them. I was nervous about WI as they are designed to counter the gophers (and always have been)...but I see us getting 3 of 4 games from MI.
                      Sweep at the Mooch next weekend...possible. The final series of the season @ Mich...tough call.

Comment

Gophers/Badgers Highlights:

GAME 1
                        GAME 2

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          Gophers/Badgers Lowlights:

GAME 1
                          GAME 2
                          Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            Our grammar is better than yours. Just don't go to GPL to verify.
                            The head trauma the game caused me last night is clear.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Stating another team has the inside track is now the same as jumping off a ledge???

Only on USCHO I guess.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                That game sucked. I'm afraid the Gophs might be down to 5 D for awhile. Bisch has a history of concussions, and that hit well after the puck was gone bounced his head off the boards pretty hard.

Don't know what is happening, but the scoring just hasn't been there lately. Reminds me of the high scoring game early in the year when Lucia commented on a little 'puck luck' and I mentioned he probably meant the fact that the Gophs sniped a number of goals, but the response from a couple posters was that it was just their talent edge. Well it would be nice to see some of that sniping now.
                                Watched the Bischoff hit a few times on a replay of the game. Knowing you've mentioned the Bischoff family in the past, I tried to post it for ya, but couldn't get it to post here. For someone that's had a history of concussions, that hit was about as bad as it gets. Jake had already released the puck when Soleway blindsided him at full speed. Soleway who is 6'3", 215, obviously telegraphed it with intent to injure. You can see Jake's head literally bounce off the glass a few times like a ping pong ball.

A very dangerous, brutal hit and a clear boarding/interference (charging?) penalty at the very least. With the puck leaving his stick about 3 seconds earlier, I don't know how the refs missed the call. I got hit almost EXACTLY like that on the west coast in the ECHL, woke up in a pool of blood and was taken to emergency immediately afterwards for stitches on my face...no concussion though. Hope he's ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X