Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
    SCSU beat the U18 team 8-0 and it got chippy at the end, so there are no guarantees.
    Yes, but against which do you think the odds would be with you? I wouldn't bet on the team that's made up of older Canadians who weren't good enough skill-wise to play in the WHL.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So any word on what actually is wrong with Brodzinski? If he is sitting Friday when Marshall is already out, that suggests something more than just a rest because he is a little sore and bruised.

Comment

As with teams in the NCAA, I doubt Canadian universities encourage hurting the opponent.

I'm happy to put the U18 team on the schedule. Likewise, I think NCAA hockey as a whole is interested in seeing Canadian college hockey flourish. The CHL poaches waay too much NCAA talent.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Question about the PP situation in the beginning of the third period in the MN- UMD game?

Marshall is out for 5 minutes at 19:17 of the 2nd, and Welinski is out for 2 minutes at same time.
          Herbert goes off for 2 at 0:38 of 3rd, which leaves the times remaining for the 3 players in the box at: Marshall- 3:39; Welinski- 0:39; Herbert 2:00.
          Fasching scores PP goal at 1:02 of the third. At the time of this goal, Marshall had 3:15 left to serve; Welinski- 0:15, and Herbert- 1:36.

Why did they let Herbert out of the box instead of Welinski? I was under the impression they should have let Welinski out, therefore the next 1:36 should have been 4 on 4 hockey.

Note: Farley scored PP goal at 2:24, which would have been a 4 on 4 goal, had Herbert remained in the box (Herbert would have remained in the box until 2:38 mark of the third).

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs13 View Post
            Question about the PP situation in the beginning of the third period in the MN- UMD game?

Marshall is out for 5 minutes at 19:17 of the 2nd, and Welinski is out for 2 minutes at same time.
            Herbert goes off for 2 at 0:38 of 3rd, which leaves the times remaining for the 3 players in the box at: Marshall- 3:39; Welinski- 0:39; Herbert 2:00.
            Fasching scores PP goal at 1:02 of the third. At the time of this goal, Marshall had 3:15 left to serve; Welinski- 0:15, and Herbert- 1:36.

Why did they let Herbert out of the box instead of Welinski? I was under the impression they should have let Welinski out, therefore the next 1:36 should have been 4 on 4 hockey.

Note: Farley scored PP goal at 2:24, which would have been a 4 on 4 goal, had Herbert remained in the box (Herbert would have remained in the box until 2:38 mark of the third).
            My understanding is that the guy who created the short handed situation (Herbert) comes out when a goal is scored on the PP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
              So any word on what actually is wrong with Brodzinski? If he is sitting Friday when Marshall is already out, that suggests something more than just a rest because he is a little sore and bruised.
              Jonny said MCL sprain and 2-3 weeks when asked at Motzko's coaches show.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                Jonny said MCL sprain and 2-3 weeks when asked at Motzko's coaches show.
                That sucks. Thanks for the info.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                  Put me there too. The refs have to protect players - even slimy diving ones. The official has to make that call at full speed. I am sure that Marshall regrets the decision to go for the devastating hit now. He didn't have to play it that way, although I understand why you might do what Marshall did in the heat of the moment.
                  You can see in the VDO the linesman on the near sidewall had a clear look at the infraction and they still blew the fk'n call! It was clearly a phantom call by the refs with a nice embellishment by wannabee Hollywood stuntman, Austin Farley. Give Farley credit though, his pretentious acting debut was a roaring success for UMD. There was no significant contact to the head AT ALL, should have been interference, but a 5 and DQ...absolutely not. Unfortunately it's not reviewable. Need to change that for next season.

I do agree Marshall was an idiot to lay into Farley that hard when the puck had already left the scene of the crime. Marshall was burning way too hot out there and IMO looked like some unnecessary payback to Farley. Marshall's made several BAD decisions on the ice this season and it was a bonehead move on his part and could have easily been avoided. I'm all for Marshall warming pine...the kid needs to take a good look inside AGAIN and start playing smarter. VIDEO REPLAY

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    As with teams in the NCAA, I doubt Canadian universities encourage hurting the opponent.

I'm happy to put the U18 team on the schedule. Likewise, I think NCAA hockey as a whole is interested in seeing Canadian college hockey flourish. The CHL poaches waay too much NCAA talent.
                    No need for the schools to encourage on ice violence, it's already built into the traditional Canadian style of hockey. I played with enough Canadians, and a lot of them are awesome hockey players. But IMO they generally tend to incorporate a much more physically violent style of play into their game than American born players. I would also add some of them play with an attitude like they're God's gift to hockey and American players are second class. "NCAA hockey as a whole is interested in seeing Canadian college hockey flourish"? I doubt there's any interest at all.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      My understanding is that the guy who created the short handed situation (Herbert) comes out when a goal is scored on the PP.
                      Thanks!

Comment

3 weeks for Brodzinski would then put us on the bye week, I bet we don't see him before the Penn State home series on the 28th of Feb.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                          3 weeks for Brodzinski would then put us on the bye week, I bet we don't see him before the Penn State home series on the 28th of Feb.
                          On one hand, it looks like the timing for the bye week should pretty good regarding getting healed up. On the other hand, the team seems to pick up rust fairly easily and the break is getting close to playoff time.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            You are correct, sir. Whichever penalty creates the powerplay is the person that gets let out (unless it's a major, of course).

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                              You are correct, sir. Whichever penalty creates the powerplay is the person that gets let out (unless it's a major, of course).
                              Bingo. That player's actions created the odd-man situation, therefore he/she gets free if the team with the avantage numérique scores. Therefore the other player stays in the box as long as the player he incurred the penalties with.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Lucia among coaches favoring in-game reviews of major penalties

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...242869411.html
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X