Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

I agree that it would be pointless to play the kid in a checking role but when you see his line mates chucking water bottles and shaking their heads it makes you wonder. If you can't see his limitations then you're just not looking. How long does the team wait?
    Comparing him to Grimaldi is silly, their games are night and day different.

As far as your opinion on Condon, while I don't agree with letting your line mates effect your play I'm pretty sure there are a number of gophs who would prefer not to play with Cammy. Do you honestly believe he's a good fit where he is now? Fasching and Rau want to work down low and grind, their skill sets allow them to be very good in traffic and along the wall, these are qualities Taylor is lacking. I think Taylor possesses a skill set unlike any kid I've watched, time will tell if it translates into a quality college player.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      That was a great game on Saturday. For those who question why some folks (myself included) don't much care for the outdoor fad, just look at the two games this weekend.
      After the Friday game, that 'don't care' feeling has got to be unanimous. Saturday showed the guys might be turning the corner.

There are some signs that Cammy is a modest liability for a line. But if you look at the other five players he has a tough load to match up. Indeed, he's in learning mode. It may take him into next year to get there.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by poisondart View Post
        I agree that it would be pointless to play the kid in a checking role but when you see his line mates chucking water bottles and shaking their heads it makes you wonder. If you can't see his limitations then you're just not looking. How long does the team wait?
        Comparing him to Grimaldi is silly, their games are night and day different.

As far as your opinion on Condon, while I don't agree with letting your line mates effect your play I'm pretty sure there are a number of gophs who would prefer not to play with Cammy. Do you honestly believe he's a good fit where he is now? Fasching and Rau want to work down low and grind, their skill sets allow them to be very good in traffic and along the wall, these are qualities Taylor is lacking. I think Taylor possesses a skill set unlike any kid I've watched, time will tell if it translates into a quality college player.
        Gotta say, I haven't seen the type of behavior from his line mates that you are describing. Just haven't seen it.....At all.

I haven't been shy about recognizing the weaknesses in Cammy's game. In fact, I think I mentioned that his lack of physical play will be what holds him back from taking the next step to play in the NHL. I'm pretty sure he knows this too. Which isn't all negative because it also means he'll be a 3-4 year player in college.

That said, I'm also not obtuse enough to completely discount the strengths the kid brings to the team. You cannot teach the vision and hockey sense that the kid has. I've seen on numerous occasions him make passes that most players at this level won't make.

Like I said before, he's a true freshman. And considering the fact that, as a true freshman, he's put up 5-9-14 (for reference, Hudson Fasching has put up 6-11-17), I think some of the criticism is completely over-the-top.

How long do we wait? Beyond this season. He is a developing player with strengths and weaknesses like every other young player that plays college hockey. And while he has weaknesses he will need to work on, he is producing.

Give the kid a few years in the weight room and a few years to mature as a player. He's a dynamic talent that for the first time in his career has to work thru some adversity. The worst thing you can do is put him in a position that hampers that development.

Yes, I do think he is a good fit where he is now. Why? Because he would be a HORRIBLE fit in a bottom 6 role and it would be a horrible idea to take him out and not let him develop. Again, the kid is on pace for 30 pts as a freshman. Think about that for a minute.
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I think some of the struggles that Cammy has had this season are similar to the struggles that Granlund had with the Wild in his rookie season. I am sure the coaching staff is working with him on how to be stronger on the puck and how to create more space for himself. However, a lot of that is stuff that he will also need to work on in the weight room and on the ice over the summer. With the focus and work ethic that kid has, I have no doubts that he will improve in these areas.

Comment

I have nothing against the kid but is a top 6 spot betrothed to him? 5 point in 14 games in a top 6 role is producing? Maybe I had the luxury of watching him many times last year and am not surprised by the adjustments he needs to make. Can he or will he? I hope so but he has never had to in the past. Rather than share it here I'd much rather send you a PM and share somethings that might make you see things differently. If Marshall can watch a game from the press box I would think so could anybody else.

Comment

I have nothing against the kid but is a top 6 spot betrothed to him? 5 point in 14 games in a top 6 role is producing? Maybe I had the luxury of watching him many times last year and am not surprised by the adjustments he needs to make. Can he or will he? I hope so but he has never had to in the past. Rather than share it here I'd much rather send you a PM and share somethings that might make you see things differently. If Marshall can watch a game from the press box I would think so could anybody else.
              I don't think a top 6 spot is "betrothed" to him, but let's take a look at our options.

We can move him to a bottom 6 role and move someone like Connor Reilly up. First of all, I think it would hurt the team to have Cammy play in that type of role, and it would hurt his development. He'd be like a fish out of water in that type of role. And are we really sure Connor Reilly would have better than 14 points playing in the Top 6? This team has lost TWO games and is SECOND in scoring in the NCAA despite playing 8 freshmen. Again, let that sink in then tell me why we need to move him out of the lineup.

We could also sit Cammy and move Reilly up and replace his bottom 6 spot with a guy like Isackson or Michaelson. Again, where are we a whole lot better doing this? Maybe Reilly produces a little more in the Top 6, but I think you then lose the production he gave you in the bottom 6. Neither Isackson or Michaelson would have 14 points this season regardless of where they play. And, Cammy doesn't get time to develop.

Cammy has things to work on like all freshmen do (especially true freshmen), but not playing him and letting him work thru that adversity would be a big mistake. And playing him on a lower line in a role he isn't suited to play would be a bigger mistake.
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

If you want to send me a personal note, you can email me here. Understand and appreciate that you don't want to say everything publicly.

Comment

We have 2 losses and 17 fricken wins, keep the lines the same please.

That is all.

Comment

Why not sit Cammy one night just to see what happens? Replace him on the 2nd with Vinnie or Gabe...

Mostly facetious...

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                      We have 2 losses and 17 fricken wins, keep the lines the same please.

That is all.
                      Good call! You'll here no more from me on the subject as long as the team keeps winning.

Comment

Good call! You'll here no more from me on the subject as long as the team keeps winning.
                        I think it's a good discussion, and I liked your input. You aren't wrong about his physical play. I just don't know if it's best long-term to take him out of the top six. Like someone said above, he made some good strides in that department this weekend. Hopefully he continues to gain confidence in this area moving forward

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          A newfangled VCR.
                          Might be time to take the plunge. I have been trying to find a way to watch the game I missed Saturday after setting the wrong channel when programming. Then I noticed the abbreviated replay was on this morning. I set the VCR before going fishing, and left a note on the remotes in the drawer (they are usually left out) that I was recording and the time. So I go to watch it after getting all my chores I wanted to finish, and it recorded the HISTORY CHANNEL, which is one of my wife's favorite channels. She ignored the note and switched channels. And those of you posting about how much better Saturday's game was then Fridays are not helping my demeanor.

SO what is the typical cost per month for DVR?

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Might be time to take the plunge. I have been trying to find a way to watch the game I missed Saturday after setting the wrong channel when programming. Then I noticed the abbreviated replay was on this morning. I set the VCR before going fishing, and left a note on the remotes in the drawer (they are usually left out) that I was recording and the time. So I go to watch it after getting all my chores I wanted to finish, and it recorded the HISTORY CHANNEL, which is one of my wife's favorite channels. She ignored the note and switched channels. And those of you posting about how much better Saturday's game was then Fridays are not helping my demeanor.

Fairly cheap. I believe mine is $6/month.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              Without looking I think it's minimal - about $5 more than a regular HD cable box (Comcast). I used to have two DVR's, but downgraded one of them because there is so much programming available on On Demand. When you consider the picture quality and convenience factors, a DVR is 10 times better than a VCR.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Without looking I think it's minimal - about $5 more than a regular HD cable box (Comcast). I used to have two DVR's, but downgraded one of them because there is so much programming available on On Demand. When you consider the picture quality and convenience factors, a DVR is 10 times better than a VCR.
                                I was thinking mine was more like $15/mo. I have to add a phone to our plan already and there are only so many things one can pay for....Of course if my provider was set up for BTN2Go it wouldn't matter anyway...

Comment

Working...
                                X