X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    No doubt the Gophers' freshman class is one of the best in the nation...but my question was, when you look at missing point production from 2012-13, which other team in all of D1 lost as much to early pro-signing?
    More departing talent means you get to see more incoming talent. One of the cool things about the first couple of months in the season is seeing what the new talent can do. Fans of schools like UMinn, UND, UW, and BC are particularly fortunate because they always have high-end but unproven talent to watch. And with limited exceptions, you never really know which ones will come into their own in D1. It's beginning to sound like the gophers have some who will.

Comment

Only one game to judge on, obviously, but; 1. None of the Freshman who played tonight looked outmatched, granted this wasn't a top tier team. 2. Letteri was noticeable most shifts, more than I expected. Looks like a hell of a shot. 3. Fasching was noticeable for his play, and specifically the fact that he has some wheels to go along with his size. Didn't look intimidated by NCAA play at all. 4. Kloos doesn't look like his size is going to be a huge issue with those wheels. He will be fun to watch. 5. I had hopes that Camarrata would explode on the scene. Played very well including some great passes and some scoring chances, but not the most noticeable Frosh as I had expected. 6. Brodzinski didn't stand out as being outmatched, which is what you want from a D. I think we'll have to judge him against more skilled teams. 7. Liked look of Condon, Rau, Marshall, Reilly. Parentau and even Ambroz looked a little more in the play. No one looked bad. 8. I agree with those that have said that with the team speed, this team will be fun to watch.

Wonder if we'll see Conner Reilly and Bischoff tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by wasmania View Post
        Any updates on the early departures AHL/ECHL seasons thus far?
        Schmidt was scheduled to start his first NHL game last night, Bjugstad is out with a concussion suffered in pre-season, Budish is on the Preds roster but hasn't played yet. Not sure on the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          Only one game to judge on, obviously, but; 1. None of the Freshman who played tonight looked outmatched, granted this wasn't a top tier team. 2. Letteri was noticeable most shifts, more than I expected. Looks like a hell of a shot. 3. Fasching was noticeable for his play, and specifically the fact that he has some wheels to go along with his size. Didn't look intimidated by NCAA play at all. 4. Kloos doesn't look like his size is going to be a huge issue with those wheels. He will be fun to watch. 5. I had hopes that Camarrata would explode on the scene. Played very well including some great passes and some scoring chances, but not the most noticeable Frosh as I had expected. 6. Brodzinski didn't stand out as being outmatched, which is what you want from a D. I think we'll have to judge him against more skilled teams. 7. Liked look of Condon, Rau, Marshall, Reilly. Parentau and even Ambroz looked a little more in the play. No one looked bad. 8. I agree with those that have said that with the team speed, this team will be fun to watch.

Wonder if we'll see Conner Reilly and Bischoff tonight?
          Great thoughts Koho. In many ways mirror my own thoughts. I would guess we do see Reilly and Bischoff tonight.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Settled down last night to watch Gophers v Mercy down here in the armpit of Florida.
            Then Fox sports puts NoDak State vs Northern Illinois University Football on instead.
            Hopefully they wont preempt tonite with High School Football

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2dog View Post
              Settled down last night to watch Gophers v Mercy down here in the armpit of Florida.
              Then Fox sports puts NoDak State vs Northern Illinois University Football on instead.
              Hopefully they wont preempt tonite with High School Football
              If you get the Big Ten Network in your market the games are available online with BTN2Go. I don't think FSC is carrying tonight's game either. They said via Twitter that they ran into some "unforeseen difficulties".

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                If you get the Big Ten Network in your market the games are available online with BTN2Go. I don't think FSC is carrying tonight's game either. They said via Twitter that they ran into some "unforeseen difficulties".
                Are they still doing "director's cut" online, not that it is a great way to watch?

Comment

Are they still doing "director's cut" online, not that it is a great way to watch?
                  Good question. I would think so. Though there is a Wild game tonight as well and I would expect that to probably get the director's cut if they are still doing it. Not positive on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

Thanks for the tip
                    Worked as well as any "streaming game" Ive watched

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2dog View Post
                      Thanks for the tip
                      Worked as well as any "streaming game" Ive watched
                      Glad to help!

Comment

I would expect, with all the speed this team has, that they would opt for an all-out pressure attack on PK, rather than sit back and wait. There were a few times on the PK they seemed to sit back when the opportunity was to force the play. With the speed they have, they should have to worry a little less about whether someone can shift in time to cover for them. An aggressive PK like that can only be beat by tic-tac-toe passing, which is difficult to do when time and space are at a premium. I would expect, as the year goes on, to see a more aggressive PK develop and start to see some SH opportunities develop as well as the units become more familiar with each other.

Comment

I would expect, with all the speed this team has, that they would opt for an all-out pressure attack on PK, rather than sit back and wait. There were a few times on the PK they seemed to sit back when the opportunity was to force the play. With the speed they have, they should have to worry a little less about whether someone can shift in time to cover for them. An aggressive PK like that can only be beat by tic-tac-toe passing, which is difficult to do when time and space are at a premium. I would expect, as the year goes on, to see a more aggressive PK develop and start to see some SH opportunities develop as well as the units become more familiar with each other.
                          Good observation Koho. I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Comment

Pomminville (when asked about Vanek by Buffalo press today): "I knew Gopher Hockey was big there [Minnesota], but I didn't realize just how big until I got there."

Comment

Wow, three Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 5. Who would have thunk it a month ago?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/227740891.html
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

They announced the teams in the Mariucci Classic.

Two days after winning the season-opening Ice Breaker Tournament, the Gophers announced the field for its annual Mariucci Classic.

The Jan. 3-4 holiday tournament will feature the host Gophers, Ferris State, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and Colgate.

RPI and Ferris State will open the event at 4 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 3, followed by the Gophers and Colgate at 7 p.m. The winners and losers of the opening games will face off on Saturday.

The Gophers have an overall record of 18-3-1 against the participants. Tickets are on sale now
                                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X